Starting to bark when left alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Starting to bark when left alone

Today I was working to clean out the car before a day trip tomorrow and Havok (currently 4 months old) started whining and barking about 10 minutes after I went outside. I stayed outside for about an hour to see if he would stop. There were some pauses, but the barking was pretty much constant. I came back in during a longer pause (letting him hear me walk in, but I didnt let him see me or interact with him for another 10 minutes) and he didnt start up again. I havent noticed this before, but I dont want to assume this was a one time thing.

Some background
- Ive never heard him bark when Ive left/returned and neighbors say they havent heard him.
- Hes left in a play pen with a puzzle treat, other toys and a bed
- We had just come back from a mile walk plus play time before I put him in the play pen, and he had actually fallen right asleep and didnt notice me leaving
- The TV was on and my other dog was in the room (also sleeping and never barked)
- I never make a big deal when I leave/return and usually ignore the dogs when I return for a while
- Havok never seems anxious when I leave or come back, and is usually laying down or asleep
- At night he sleeps in his crate and during the day if I have to leave or cant directly watch him he is in the playpen (he spends most of his time out of the pen though)

I think thats everything, but please feel free to ask if you need more information. A couple thoughts I had thought of were leaving him in the crate instead of the playpen, or having him sleep in another room (his crate is currently in my bedroom). Do you think either of these would work? Any other ideas? Am I overreacting from one barking session?

Of course I have to include a picture!
aalomon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If my pups know I am still around and can hear me, they tend to keep 'calling' me too to remind me I have forgotten them and they are RIGHT HERE! But they won't bark when I really leave for the day.

I'd have moved the crate outdoors or just tied him to a tree so he could have enjoyed being with you and yet still safely out of the way.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, but I don't think that was it. As I said, when I let him hear me (so he knew I was there) the barking stopped immediately even though he couldn't see me so I wasn't exactly with him.

As for taking him outside, that wouldn't be a solution in my eyes just avoiding a problem (if he had been barking because he knew I was still there but not with me). Personally, I would hope a stable dog would be able to be in a different room from the humans for a few minutes without starting to cry. I know that an hour was longer than a few minutes, but I didn't want to reward the barking by rushing back in so I was waiting for a pause.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'm just telling you what my dogs do, you are more then welcome to already know what's going on from your own experience.

My dogs are stable but they want to be with me if they know I am still around and in the area. So if they were young and crated chances are they would do what yours did.

Now my dogs are 5 and 10 and I have no trouble having them in a crate and me wandering around for awhile cause they are more used to the situation.

So, for me, your pup behaved normally and I wouldn't worry about it.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Im not sure what you mean by "you are more then welcome to already know what's going on from your own experience."

But as I said before, I dont think it was from wanting to be with me. He stopped barking as soon as I let him hear me even though I was still in a different area. If that had been it, would he have continued barking when I let him hear me but not see me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.