puppy bitting problems? This might be differnet....... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow puppy bitting problems? This might be differnet.......

I have a 2 month old puppy he is really active and playful but he gets a bit rough on the bitting my friend told me he was teething so give him something to chew on so I gave him rubber toys but he doesn't chew them and likes to bite my feet and trousers. I tried making squealing noises but this doen't stop him. He bites my hands during training sessions. I'm scared that he will grew and his bites won't be friendly anymore. Please help me I need some professional help?
thunder bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

He will grow out of biting.

Try slapping him on the nose every time he bites you and say "No!" in a firm voice. Not too hard though, but hard enough that he knows what he did was wrong.

Keep redirecting his attention to something to chew on and play with. Maybe start working him on a kong with a rope.
scarmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

No, this really isn't different, it's pretty typical of a 2 month old puppy. Teething is usually in the 4-6 month old range, so he's not teething yet. He's playing with you like he played with his littermates, and your squealing noises may actually be ramping him up. Have you read the tips about teaching bite inhibition in this thread?

Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

Also, it would be much easier to read your posts if you use more punctuation rather than long run on sentences.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
Try slapping him on the nose every time he bites you and say "No!" in a firm voice. Not too hard though, but hard enough that he knows what he did was wrong.
I would not recommend slapping your puppy. He doesn't know what he's doing is wrong, he's not trying to intentionally hurt you. Redirecting to a toy is a much better strategy.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I would not recommend slapping your puppy. He doesn't know what he's doing is wrong, he's not trying to intentionally hurt you. Redirecting to a toy is a much better strategy.
Thats what the slap is for, so he knows what he is doing is wrong.

By redirecting him with a toy your basically rewarding him for biting you.

And by "slap", I don't mean hard enough to make him yelp, just a simple tap and a "No!" and then redirect.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
And how will you get the dog to bite later (in appropriate circumstances) once you have taught him it is "wrong" ?

Quote:
No, you're redirecting the drive into an appropriate channel where you will be able to use and control it later.

Last edited by Uniballer; 11-26-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniballer View Post
And how will you get the dog to bite later (in appropriate circumstances) once you have taught him it is "wrong" ?
Tug training, bite on command only when its appropriate?

How do you potty train? Redirect him and hope he pees outside? Or tapping him on the rear and saying "No!" and taking him outside?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Tug training, bite on command only when its appropriate?
If you take away enough drive or create inhibition, then this becomes much more difficult.

I like biting. It only has to be channeled. No command is needed when the appropriate stimulus is presented (rag, tug, sleeve/suit on moving helper, aggressive person who will not back down, etc.). My word to go bite is a release, not a command.

Quote:
How do you potty train? Redirect him and hope he pees outside? Or tapping him on the rear and saying "No!" and taking him outside?
I would probably not give an 8 week old puppy any corrections. Because my house would be puppy-proof, and the puppy would be watched and taken out before he had to go. I.e. I model the appropriate behavior rather than allow a circumstance that I would later want to correct. I might give a 4 month old puppy a correction for peeing in the house, but by then he has probably had 2 months of house-training with me and knows what is expected but is testing limits.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How to potty train - take dog outside and reward for making appropriate deposits in appropriate places. No need to "tap on the rear" or exclaiming "No!" Linking the appropriate behavior to a word in this case (and others, too, including redirecting nipping) works great in the long run. When I am traveling it is great to have a dog that will urinate on command.
And yeah, I wouldn't smack the pup for nipping as a pup either. I'd redirect. That's what I've done over the years.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Or maybe he'll just think you're a big meanie. A two month old puppy is the developmental equivalent to a human baby in diapers. Would you smack a baby if it accidentally hit you in the face while waving it's arms around? Of course not!

Quote:
No, you're not, you're replacing your clothing and your person with a more appropriate chew toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.