Problems at the dog park. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Problems at the dog park.

I have a 8 month old GSD. Excellent dog, I love it to pieces and we are very involved in him. Training, exercise and all the right steps...

We play fetch with him at the dog park, he loves it. the problem is he is very possessive over the ball. Even if we don't bring a ball, he will find someone else at the dog park who is placing fetch and steal the ball. Once he has the ball its hard to get it back and he barks and barks until we fetch it. It all sounds normal but at times its very excessive. He even gets very aggressive with other dog that come and try to take the ball away from him.

What really bothers me is when I take the ball away and keep him sitting or at down command and he just goes crazy. Barks over and over again and the only thing that will stop the barking is if we leave or start playing again.

I know its excitement but sometimes it really is a huge inconvenience. I don't want to bother other dog owners at the park and someone might take it for aggressiveness.

has anyone dealt with something like this? if so, how do i solve/prevent? any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
andcad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It's really hard when your dog is ball focused at the local dog park, especially when they take other dogs balls and the owner is often not impressed!

My 2 are ball focused but I rarely put them in a dog park, I take them to separate public training areas where they can play their ball game without being bothered.

It sounds like your dog is resource guarding and this will become a greater problem as he gets older and gets more serious about guarding his ball. There is lots of information on managing and eliminating resource guarding on the internet.

Good luck
Harry and Lola is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

don't play fetch with him in the dog park. taking toys to
the dog park is a bad idea.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yup, that'll happen The only thing you can do it teach your dog to hand back the toys. Seriously! I know that sounds crazy, but when I had my boy at the dog park I'd always make a huge effort to put away his frisbee before another dog showed up. I didn't want any problems. But would the other owners do the same? Oh no, no way - they must have never heard of dogs fighting over toys. So my boy would run after the ball, and because he's trained to hand things back, he'd impress the other owners, lol. Some dogs would give up on the silly ball game, and their owner would have fun playing with mine. Or the other dog would always get the ball faster than mine - once he was badly outmatched by a 10 lb. mix that could race back with the ball so fast that mine didn't even notice the ball was back.Too funny! But if the other dogs were really into their game, I'd alway just leave the dog park. I didn't want a fight to break out.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andcad View Post
I have a 8 month old GSD. Excellent dog, I love it to pieces and we are very involved in him. Training, exercise and all the right steps...

We play fetch with him at the dog park, he loves it. the problem is he is very possessive over the ball. Even if we don't bring a ball, he will find someone else at the dog park who is placing fetch and steal the ball. Once he has the ball its hard to get it back and he barks and barks until we fetch it. It all sounds normal but at times its very excessive. He even gets very aggressive with other dog that come and try to take the ball away from him.

What really bothers me is when I take the ball away and keep him sitting or at down command and he just goes crazy. Barks over and over again and the only thing that will stop the barking is if we leave or start playing again.

I know its excitement but sometimes it really is a huge inconvenience. I don't want to bother other dog owners at the park and someone might take it for aggressiveness.

has anyone dealt with something like this? if so, how do i solve/prevent? any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
my oldest was this way at that age, your pup will become obsessed with that ball, mine is with a frisbee, you can use that as a training tool, when he starts barking say something like quiet or no, keep doing that and he will get the idea, thats how i taught Max to "air bark" so now when I have the frisbee his jaws will start snapping and there is no bark, you should only use a certain ball, after awhile he will ignore other balls and only want that one, like I said you can use this obsession as a training tool for a lot of things, also, I`d stay out of the dog park, your asking for trouble, or at least go when no one else is there

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
don't play fetch with him in the dog park. taking toys to
the dog park is a bad idea.
I agree!!!!!

There are several dogs that go to dog parks that are toy aggressive! I would not bring any toys to the dog park and I would steer clear of people with toys there!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you need to stop taking him to the dog park.

Your dog's behavior will eventually result in a dog fight.

If you are going to the dog park for socialization then you need to find friends/neighbors/family members with nice, social dogs for him to play with.

If you are going to the dog park for exercise, you need to find another place to go.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andcad View Post

Thank you.
We play fetch at the park only when we are alone. When other dogs came in we just stop.

Like yours, mine wouldn't give the ball back to me easily either. So I always have two balls. I won't throw another one until he dropped one first.

I wouldn't restart the game when he barks for it. Lincoln would catch on very quick "what" that gets him what he wants. If I restart the game when he barks just once, he will bark again.

We only use the dog park for the huge fence in area that we can use "chuck it" and train "recall" command. I don't even use it for socialization so when other dogs come in, we leave.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog is the same way, but most people around here understand that a dog park is not the best place to play fetch. You really can't get mad at other people's dogs for taking "your" tennis ball. So most people realize that after one trip and don't ever play with a tennis ball again.

Your dogs actions WILL end in a fight. As an 8 month old GSD he can probably intimidate a lot of dogs at the dog park, but will soon run into a dog that he can't and that's when he'll learn his lesson. I can promise you that if he ever acted like that towards my dog (although I don't ever have a tennis ball at the dog park), you would not want to see the repercussions.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

thanks for all your answers
andcad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.