Growling and biting - 12 weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Growling and biting - 12 weeks

I got Sam at 8 weeks and started her with basic commands (sit, lay down, stay). She had some tummy issues (giardia) but had some flagyl and her stools have cleared up.

She has been biting really hard in the evenings - at all other times she is very sweet and obeys commands. She watches me and mimics what I do or listens to my commands. We use the flirt pole several times a day, we go for walks around the neighbourhood, and she is slowly starting to socialize (this is due to the giardia but is good with people and still trying to figure out other dogs). I make sure she naps when she's tired.

But in the evening she's a nightmare. She'll try to jump on the couch and I can try saying no or my sound for "no" (tsh), I've tried distracting her and rewarding for good behaviour, tried the scruff thing, the "ouch" yelp, and today my trainer taught me a poke method onto her shoulder. All of these things seem to make her more mad! The poke worked fine at the breeder today but at home she's more assertive and clamped down really hard on my wrist. I ended up taking her outside for a time out which only settles her half the time. She'll come back in calm and then get revved up again. The worst part is I don't think it's playing - it's growling, biting and barking.

What do I do? My arms are covered in scratches. She seems to get the most upset when she's being reprimanded.

Thank you!Growling and biting - 12 weeks-imageuploadedbypg-free1383096819.686236.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ubctress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

LOL!!! Welcome to GSD puppyhood.

It stinks, it gets better. They bite, they talk back, they bark and may growl. It's what they do. It's annoying.

Pick a method you are comfortable with and stick to it. Don't do it once and then do something else then do something else. Consistancy and fairness. Don't lose your temper, if you are getting frustrated, crate her. Puppies get over tired. Over tired puppies are brats.

Think of it like the 3-4 yo human acting out, screaming NO, maybe smacking out with his hands when frustrated, crying and hooting and hollering and stomping. Same thing. Puppies use their teeth. Hopefully a human child won't.

One thing I found that helped was a long filled with peanut butter. When I was at my wits end, shoved one in his mouth and it gave me 30 minutes if peace.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I def agree gdscar be consistent they can be hard headed I've got a 4 month old and he get riled up in the evening. be stern now, loving but stern and consistent .. He'll learn and she's much easier to train now ..
Lots of exercise lots of exercise

mrelectric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Completely agree with gsdsar! You have a normal puppy.

When your pup behaves like a terror, there are a few things....

1) When was the last time she got a nap in? Even pups will act out when they are tired.
2) How has her exercise been today? Both mental and physical? Remember, mentally wearing them out can work WAY better than physically. Run her through short obedience drill sessions. 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, etc. Work that brain!
3) How is your communication with her? Are you being consistent?
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey im new to the GSD forum

We currently have our 6th german shepherd, He is 5 months at the moment and hes starting to see how far he can push his luck, the past 3 weeks have been terrible with him, he stropped the 'teething' biting but now hes started to properly bite quite hard (he has 90% of his adult teeth already), growl and bark at us. I know how to be the pack leader and to correct him but what I have always done in the past doesnt seem to be working with Archie. Im going to persist with it and see if he just needs some more time and leadership, but any new suggestions would be welcomed!!

The wonds and bite marks will heal My mum has them all over her arms from Archie, looks like she has been self harming its that bad. I use organic argan oil and aloe vera gel on the marks and they heal much faster.

Jadey & Archie
xo
TattooedJadey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies! I have only had mixed german shepherds before and both were outside dogs growing up. I'm guessing that an inside dog and a purebred with the stubbornness is catching me off guard even though I've wanted one for years!

She gets a lot of exercise but I increased it today. Not more sessions but harder play sessions for a slightly longer period of time.

She also got a nap after each play session to wind down and a time out the moment she started to act out. But we have just hit our 6 pm crazy period. The moment she's up from her nap we'll go outside to play and nap time again.

I use consisted words with her... And I use very simple words or phrases. So I think consistency and perseverance will be my friend. I know she'll outgrow it eventually but sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind with all the scratches on my arms. Her jaws are much stronger now than when I first got her a month ago so her canines are digging in so much deeper. After I posted last night I get my worst bite yet trying to reprimand her and it drew blood and tears!

I'm a nurse so I don't think I'm losing my cool - or at least I'm putting her in a time out before I lose all my cool. It's usually on our way to the time out that she does her wits biting.

Oh gosh, wish me luck! I love her and know it will all be worth it someday!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Forgive the spelling mistakes, autocorrect on an iPhone

Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Yup you have a normal German Shepherd puppy! That's why is such a help when we do our research on getting a certain breed BEFORE deciding on it, so we can be a bit more prepared (like being on this forum )

Have you seen this sticky yet? ---:> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/188549-puppy-biting-hints-tips-help.html

Good luck, it does get better
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah. My puppy got the zoomies around that time of night as well!!!

It is all worth it!!!!!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubctress View Post
The worst part is I don't think it's playing - it's growling, biting and barking.

What do I do? My arms are covered in scratches. She seems to get the most upset when she's being reprimanded.

Thank you!Attachment 128825

We went through the same. I was convinced our puppy would be ripping pieces of flesh off us soon. But now he is the sweetest teddy bear with the kids especially.

Just hang in there . What really worked for us is redirecting, and timeouts, but more than anything else he just out grew that in time. He still mouths but gently.
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.