Nipping Nipping in the Bud - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Nipping Nipping in the Bud

I'm at a loss.... My beautiful, sweet, lovable, 9 month old GSD nips and bites. It's become a terrible habit. I've tried collar corrections and bitter apple, but it doesn't seem to sink in. He's a smart boy, so I know he can get it, but I'm looking to you for suggestions of things that have worked for you. Any suggestion is very much appreciated. I'm sure this is not a new topic, so forgive me if this is a redundant thread, but there is a plethora of information on this site, and I get lost.
Melissa98409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
AXO

A good correction and a stern "NO" consistently should do the trick. If he is smart, he will get the message you are not playing.
AXO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 4 month old GSD he's a chewer of people also, and he barks non stop at everything till whatever's space he's invading snaps
I've used prong collar and choke collar but in general the best thing is me physically getting him and making him stop. Just grabbing the nap of his neck and saying "NO" gets the quickest results . He wants to please you and protect you against anything these dogs get used to being hit w sticks and continue there attack, so I think they just get used to the collar . Your biggest ally will be his fear of disappointment from ya
Bran

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mrelectric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my 5 year old bitch was a young pup she would chew and nip on anything including me! I discovered rubbing Vicks Vaporub on whatever she was chewing or nibbing like her lead, my coffee table legs and even my ankles and wrists soon stopped her.

The smell is so strong - they don't like it and they soon realise that chewing on the coffee table leg smells horrible etc.

It really does work - just DO NOT put Vicks Vaporup anywhere on your pupply. Simply put a little bit of it on the thing you want him to stop biting.

Vicks Vaporub - CVS pharmacy
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
When my 5 year old bitch was a young pup she would chew and nip on anything including me! I discovered rubbing Vicks Vaporub on whatever she was chewing or nibbing like her lead, my coffee table legs and even my ankles and wrists soon stopped her.

The smell is so strong - they don't like it and they soon realise that chewing on the coffee table leg smells horrible etc.

It really does work - just DO NOT put Vicks Vaporup anywhere on your pupply. Simply put a little bit of it on the thing you want him to stop biting.

Vicks Vaporub - CVS pharmacy
Thats a good idea! I've heard that Cayenne pepper works really well too.
PhoenixGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

YOu have a chance to read thru this yet? ---> Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I haven't heard the Vick's trick before. It's a pretty foul smelling stuff, I think I would be deterred too. Would it work to carry it in your pocket and not actually apply it? Is it simply that it smells bad, or does he have to taste it to get the message? He doesn't seem to nip at me to much and is corrected when he does. I think it's because I am his primary care giver.

However, he nips at my boyfriends legs when he's off leash and at play. He's done this to my daughter and her boyfriend as well. Although, with her boyfriend, I think it's fear driven, because he just doesn't seem to like him...for whatever reason. Jericho is very sensitive, so he could have offended him as a little puppy and I think Jericho made up his mind about her boyfriend at that point.

These are all people he has a lot of interaction with and has been around since he was adopted into our family at 4 months old. Is it a dominance issue? A breed trait? A puppy thing that he will grow out of?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

It's dominance and also the fact that he senses you guys get a bit nervous or the boy does and he reacts to that I'd say be sure to check him and let him know it's not ok to bite anyone till told basically
And have the boy if he's gonna be around work w him a bit
Bring him in tell the boy to sternly tell him to stop and you reinforce it
It'll all work out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mrelectric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Atlanta; originally from rural south Texas (yes, cows, horses, and cowboys)
Default nipping a lot

Any advice for a new dog owner whose GSD just started nipping a lot? We've had Ben, our 9 or 10 month old GSD for about five weeks...got him from the local pound. Initially, he had a very subdued personality as he was starved (54 lbs when he should weigh at least 70) and had a variety of bugs (pink eye, ear infection, etc). He loved cuddling and even laying in laps to be petted.

He just got neutered last Friday. Previous to this, he was extremely cuddly, wanting to lay near us and get petted. Now, although he does love us, he is constantly trying to mouth and nip when he is lying down and we go to pet him--sometimes noticeably harder than before (no bruising or anything, but FIRM holding). He also does this in the morning when he's excited that we are awake or if he thinks we are getting ready to leave. He has tried to herd my 10 year old, although my son said "NO" loudly and stand stood his ground our dog stopped.

Any ideas as to what is causing this change in demeanor? I like his other changes--he's gotten more confident as he's put on weight and gotten healthier and we exercise him about an hour a day with a flirt pole and walks (and the dog park). He's really looking good and getting healthy. It's just kind of startling how much he is interested in nipping now.

Any ideas on how to stop this behavior? We say "NO" firmly and ignore him, which works for the moment, but we have to do it EVERY TIME. I hope this is the right track? I see a lot of statements about "do a correction" and "reinforce it" but what does that specifically mean? I'd love any methods.
Benny Boo's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Benny- I have a 9 month old GSD as well, who is doing the same thing. I am thinking it's a phase, however, that's not an excuse.

the phrase "doing a correction" is giving him a sharp jerk straight up on his collar. I use a power steering collar, aka a prong collar or pinch collar. I was resistant at first, because, like your boy, my guy had a horrible beginning and is SUPER sensitive (you can check out my photo album on here and see his progression). However, it is like night and day with Jericho. He actually prefers the power steering collar. "reinforcing it" is simply rewarding him when he does what you want him to do. So it looks like this: collar correction.... good behavior...."good boy"...treat reward. You're going to have to do it over and over again and be consistent. It will pay off though.

With the nipping...we're using a product called Bitter Apple. When your dog nips you put it the back of their mouth (I lift his lip on the side and spray it in pointing the bottle to the back). It works with him immediately, but again, you have to be consistent and do it over and over again. Jericho still nips, but is getting better. Part of it is, that GSD's just play rough (so, I've noticed) and they get really excited to have their people play with them. I think, at least with Jericho, he just wants to play all of the time and doesn't want you to stop playing with him. SO...he tries to get your attention by nipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Boo's Mommy View Post
Any advice for a new dog owner whose GSD just started nipping a lot? We've had Ben, our 9 or 10 month old GSD for about five weeks...got him from the local pound. Initially, he had a very subdued personality as he was starved (54 lbs when he should weigh at least 70) and had a variety of bugs (pink eye, ear infection, etc). He loved cuddling and even laying in laps to be petted.

He just got neutered last Friday. Previous to this, he was extremely cuddly, wanting to lay near us and get petted. Now, although he does love us, he is constantly trying to mouth and nip when he is lying down and we go to pet him--sometimes noticeably harder than before (no bruising or anything, but FIRM holding). He also does this in the morning when he's excited that we are awake or if he thinks we are getting ready to leave. He has tried to herd my 10 year old, although my son said "NO" loudly and stand stood his ground our dog stopped.

Any ideas as to what is causing this change in demeanor? I like his other changes--he's gotten more confident as he's put on weight and gotten healthier and we exercise him about an hour a day with a flirt pole and walks (and the dog park). He's really looking good and getting healthy. It's just kind of startling how much he is interested in nipping now.

Any ideas on how to stop this behavior? We say "NO" firmly and ignore him, which works for the moment, but we have to do it EVERY TIME. I hope this is the right track? I see a lot of statements about "do a correction" and "reinforce it" but what does that specifically mean? I'd love any methods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.