I am at my wit's end. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy I am at my wit's end.

All my 5 month old puppy does is bark. He's in his kennel, he barks. I bring him downstairs with me, he barks. Yes, I give him exercise. We go walking/running. We play chase around the yard. Yes, he is well fed. He has been in puppy classes. my trainer said to spray him with water when he barks. I spray him, he just barks more! I don't know what to do, it is a major problem, and I don't want to say it, but if it doesn't stop he might have to go else where. I don't know what to do any more. He is driving everyone in the house insane. Oh, and I can't put him outside either. Because he barks and it annoys the neighbors. I love this dog so much, but this can't continue.... He HAS to stop barking.
Jones127x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Him barking while in his kennel is most likely from loneliness, I understand that, but I try to bring him downstairs with me, he gets too hyped up and wants to run all over the house and get into things. Including chasing the cats, which is not allowed, and my cats have free roam of the house. That is not going to change. I know he's just a puppy, and needs to learn, but how can I teach him? Everybody says I won't regret getting a GSD, and I don't want to regret it! I want him to prove to me that he is a wonderful, obedient dog!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Glacier Send a message via Skype™ to Glacier

Have you talked to a dog trainer? I would think that would be more fruitful that posting on the internet.

Glacier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

he will prove to you that he is wonderful and obedient when you train him.
how are you teaching him not to bark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones127x View Post
Him barking while in his kennel is most likely from loneliness, I understand that, but I try to bring him downstairs with me, he gets too hyped up and wants to run all over the house and get into things. Including chasing the cats, which is not allowed, and my cats have free roam of the house. That is not going to change. I know he's just a puppy, and needs to learn, but how can I teach him? Everybody says I won't regret getting a GSD, and I don't want to regret it!

>>>>> I want him to prove to me that he is a wonderful,
obedient dog!<<<<

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have treats on you at all times and leash him to you so he has to follow you around. Keep an eye on him and every time you see him doing something good whether it be eye contact, a sit, a down, whatever it is that you like, immediately mark and treat. Soon he'll be so focused on doing the things that get him treats he won't have time to focus on the bad. Ignore the barking and distract him by just walking fast around using sharp angles so his attention is on you and then treat him when he stops barking and focuses on you

It'll take time but it's never too late to start.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
Have you talked to a dog trainer? I would think that would be more fruitful that posting on the internet.

I would think reading the whole post before answering would be more helpful. I said I have talked to my trainer. She said a lot of shepherds are very vocal, so I thought I would ask others with shepherds what they did to correct it.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Have treats on you at all times and leash him to you so he has to follow you around. Keep an eye on him and every time you see him doing something good whether it be eye contact, a sit, a down, whatever it is that you like, immediately mark and treat. Soon he'll be so focused on doing the things that get him treats he won't have time to focus on the bad. Ignore the barking and distract him by just walking fast around using sharp angles so his attention is on you and then treat him when he stops barking and focuses on you

It'll take time but it's never too late to start.
Thank you! I will start doing this. Him being by my side is exactly what I want.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
he will prove to you that he is wonderful and obedient when you train him.
how are you teaching him not to bark?
When he's in his crate and barking, I say enough and wait about 5 seconds and I reward him. When he's with me, I say UH-UH! And squirt him with water. I guess it upsets him, because he barks more.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You are describing a pup that needs more exercise as well as training. If you feel he is getting enough, double it. He isn't. He needs mental and physical exercise. Shanna has some great ideas as well.

If this is an issue that is putting you on the edge of re-homing him, you need to discuss it in more depth with your trainer. I do not agree with squirting water on a barking puppy. You are seeing why with your pup's behavior.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree spraying him with water is probably not the best choice.

Follow Shade's advice and I think you will see some success pretty quickly. He doesn't want to upset you but he does want you to interact with him. He will take negative attention over no attention and unfortunately at that age being present with you is usually not enough...they want to DO something with you too.

It may test your sanity and patience but I prefer to wait out the barking in most cases. It may not be an ideal situation for you to do this though if he is upsetting neighbours.
Example - In his crate he wouldn't come out until he stopped barking.
- If I he is demand barking I would wait for him to sit or offer a behaviour that isn't barking and reward it with the item he is demanding like a treat or a ball.
- If he barks while training him he may be frustrated.... increase your rate of reinforcement (Like Shade said reward for good behaviour more often)

If you must leave him in a crate or alone in the yard give him frozen kongs to hold his attention. It may only work for 5 mins but it can buy you some time and should keep him busy.
Harbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.