Strange reaction to man with baby carrier - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange reaction to man with baby carrier

Hubby and I had Revy out for a hike the other day. We came across a couple and the man had a baby in a carrier on his back. Revy could not focus on anything else but this couple. She barked and made a fuss. We passed them, but she kept looking behind her and just didn't want to take her eyes off of them. We finally had to run ahead about 1/4 km so she couldn't see them anymore before she finally stopped fixating on them.

We found it funny at first. Now we are wondering if it was the baby carrier, and to her it looked like the person had two heads or something!

Anyone else's dog behave that way towards baby carriers or anything else like that?

Janet

My pack:
Revy (Zanka vom Blackgold Pen): Female GSD born March 2013
Sweetie: Female black cat, born 2004
Plus a husband and a couple of teenagers
Suburbandiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

If this was the first time your dog saw a baby in a carrier it was probably curious to him and took more than a second look. I try to introduce my young dogs to everything I can find, often standing in front of the grocery store off to the side of the doors so they see children, babies in carriers, other dogs in carriers, shopping carts, wheel chairs, what ever comes in. The more your dog gets to see the easier they will accept new sights as long as they are confident and not fearful. Make all new associations positive if possible. It also helps them learn to accept new stuff by judging your reaction to the new thing they see.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

LOL, puppies for you! I think she was just confused and trying to figure out what she was seeing.

Reminds me the first time Gryffon saw people on horseback. He had seen horses of course, running loose in a field, or in a paddock. As part of his socialization when he was around 9 or 10 months old (?) we went to an indoor arena and sat down in the bleachers near the rail to watch. There were several people riding around schooling their horses. Gryffon sat up straight his eyes wide open staring, staring, staring, not moving a muscle, just frozen in place. I could tell that his brain was going a mile a minute trying to figure out what these strange horse/human hybrids were. It was pretty amusing, actually.

Then one of the riders came rode over asking some questions about Gryff - with the horse and rider close by, me talking to the person, the horse snorting and stretching his neck, it finally clicked for Gryff! As soon as he figured it out, he lost interest, relaxed and laid down - it was like the light came on - OH! it's a horse AND a person on sitting on the horse! Boooooring . . . .

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Often things that don't fit into a typical human silhouette will make a dog uncomfortable, especially a young one. When my dog was younger she reacted to people with big backpacks, we have a lot of surfers here, so a person carrying a surfboard at the beach, someone in a wheelchair moving, strange hat. She's OK with the surfers now because we go to the beach so often and she knows they are not a threat. But last week as we were walking with Molly, an older man who clearly looked like he had a stroke with one side affected was across the street, my dog wanted to obsess over this man because of his gait.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol. We thought we had been super-diligent with introducing her to everything, everyone and every place we could think of. Apparently we missed baby carriers. She wasn't upset or anything - just crazy curious. I'll have to think of other "human-hybrid" situations to introduce her to.

On the plus side, hats, skateboards, bikes, cars, ATVs, motorcycles and kids don't bother her at all.

Janet

My pack:
Revy (Zanka vom Blackgold Pen): Female GSD born March 2013
Sweetie: Female black cat, born 2004
Plus a husband and a couple of teenagers
Suburbandiva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbandiva View Post
Hubby and I had Revy out for a hike the other day. We came across a couple and the man had a baby in a carrier on his back. Revy could not focus on anything else but this couple. She barked and made a fuss. We passed them, but she kept looking behind her and just didn't want to take her eyes off of them. We finally had to run ahead about 1/4 km so she couldn't see them anymore before she finally stopped fixating on them.

We found it funny at first. Now we are wondering if it was the baby carrier, and to her it looked like the person had two heads or something!

Anyone else's dog behave that way towards baby carriers or anything else like that?
Seems really strange to hear that your dog was barking
But I can't still understand that a man having a baby sling on his back and it seems funny?? I don't know what's so funny in it,,??
Actually it happens if the mother is ill or can't carry her baby, in fact I also ask my husband to carry my baby in a sling
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
JPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyeshwashington View Post
Seems really strange to hear that your dog was barking
But I can't still understand that a man having a baby sling on his back and it seems funny?? I don't know what's so funny in it,,??
Actually it happens if the mother is ill or can't carry her baby, in fact I also ask my husband to carry my baby in a sling
Yikes! Calm down. I don't think the OP meant anything by the fact a man was carrying the baby. It was funny to them because the dog reacted to it and they weren't expecting it.
JPF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

When a dog sees something that appears odd (funny) to them they naturally want to bark or sniff it. Not unusual. I'm sure the OP didn't mean they thought it was funny to see a man carrying a baby. The dog probably thought it looked like person with two heads or something and thought it was strange so it barked. My dog freaked when it saw a person pushing a two baby in line stroller. I think it actually scared her for a second because she wasn't sure what it was but I put her in a sit so she could get a good look and when she realized it was just two little people in a cart she was fine. I tried to introduce as many strange things as I could when she was a pup but I must have missed the dual strollers. LOL!

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yesterday I had a 6 month old Malinois puppy freak out and bark at a metal bleacher bench he saw from a side angle. I took him over to it and when he realized it was an inanimate object he went right back to normal. He's normally got solid environmentals. Sometimes they see something and their brain interprets it as a potential threat when it isn't. It really isn't that different from humans. I was driving down the road the other day and saw something out of the corner of my eye I thought was a deer about to jump out in front of me when it was the way a light came off a traffic cone.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

It's good to desensitize pups to strange objects and sounds and environments and surfaces.

Some dogs are afraid of umbrellas, push chairs, people wearing hats, helmets, lawn mowers, etcetc. Some don't like walking over objects which seem un steady or slippy or corrugated iron or wire mesh.

Some show fear and quickly recover, some are indifferent, interested etc. And some get stuck, depending on the temperament and how the owner deals with it.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.