Submissive GSD @ 10 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Submissive GSD @ 10 months

Hello to all! My GSD Shelby is just growing like crazy. She is well into the mid 70's weight wise and stands 26 inches at the shoulder! For a 10 month old female, she's big! My question I have though is about her submissiveness. She is getting so big but still pees when little puppies or little dogs come around. She also pees for strangers still and puts her ears back. She has started an advanced obedience training course along with tracking. She gets schutzhund training exposure weekly because she will eventually be full into personal protection. Do you guys generally think she will grow out of this and be more assertive? She barks out the window and across the street at people if she feels off about them and sometimes she will back away from a new person that wants to pet her. Is she just in an unsure phase of her life right now still finding out who she is? Any suggestions on how to build her up or is the training going to do that?
tsfarling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfarling View Post
Hello to all! My GSD Shelby is just growing like crazy. She is well into the mid 70's weight wise and stands 26 inches at the shoulder! For a 10 month old female, she's big! My question I have though is about her submissiveness. She is getting so big but still pees when little puppies or little dogs come around. She also pees for strangers still and puts her ears back. She has started an advanced obedience training course along with tracking. She gets schutzhund training exposure weekly because she will eventually be full into personal protection. Do you guys generally think she will grow out of this and be more assertive?No, not to the point where she can handle bitework and PP...imo. She barks out the window and across the street at people if she feels off about them and sometimes she will back away from a new person that wants to pet her. Is she just in an unsure phase of her life right now still finding out who she is? Any suggestions on how to build her up or is the training going to do that?
I'm sorry, but from this description alone, if this is a regular occurrence/personality(which it sounds like)..... this dog should not be put through PP training. A dog like this does not have the nerves to be put through something as intense as PP. I'm wondering if she would even be able to handle the bitework phase in SchH....it's one thing to be a bit skittish around strangers (still NOT ideal for either arena)...but to urinate at the sight of strangers and small dogs is a very weak nerved dog, soft, dog. This isn't just submissiveness(imo). There is no threat...no need to submit when there is no threat. I would never put a dog like that through this sort of training. Obedience? Absolutely.

What about her makes you or anyone else think she can handle SchH, let alone PP??

Last edited by DaniFani; 05-29-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: grammar
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

She doesn't pee at the sight of strangers just when she meets someone new, she wags her tail like crazy and squats to pee when they start to pet her. The place where she is receiving obedience training does three levels of training. They do obedience, tracking, and schutzhund. They do a trial run for new dogs and when it comes to training and obedience she does great! They did a test with her for schutzhund (for later after obedience) and she responded well to the trial and passed. They were impressed with her. The training academy here has a great trainer and I trust him. He was a K9 handler for 18 years on the police force and his dog is a champion. She's very situational though. You put her on a training field with other dogs around and she stays focused. Runs right to me off leash, doesn't run after or try to play with other dogs. She meets dogs at a dog park and she is submissive for the first few minutes then jumps right in. I wouldn't put her in schutzhund unless I felt she could do it and if the trainers felt comfortable. It will be a while until she starts full on PP training. That is why I was wondering if submissive GSD's are common or if it is a phase. We have had her since 9 weeks old. Over the last two months she has stopped peeing when we pet her and for some regular people we have over so I am getting the feeling she might be growing out of it.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Who evaluated her for protection work? What does the trainer at the Schutzhund club say?
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

She used to urinate when YOU pet her, up until last month?

If your question is, "is this normal or seen in PP dogs, will she grow out of it?" I am inclined to say, no it is not normal in any stable nerved, PP applicant. I just question anyone who is training a dog that does that and thinks it can handle PP or SchH bitework...two COMPLETELY different things that are usually not done concurrently....another reason why I question the trainer.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh, and just because someone was a K9 HANDLER does NOT qualify them to be a trainer. imho. It is a VERY nice selling point for owners looking for obedience, who don't know any better. There are some TERRIBLE K9 police handlers out there that advertise training for dogs. There are also some WONDERFUL handlers who are terrible trainers. So he took one dog, his K9, whom I'm assuming he went through an academy of some sort with (someone else doing the training) and took that ONE dog to be a champion....champion of what?

I just am so confused, I don't know a single, legitimate SCHUTZHUND trainer who would be enthused to put a dog with your dog's nerves through bitework, let alone a legitimate PP trainer thinking the same....so it causes me to really question who is evaluating and working the dog. That's all. Could you post your dog's pedigree? Video of bitework?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am not here to say, who does what the best or to hear people slam my dog for being a submissive puppy. I am here to find out if anyone else had a submissive dog. I said she USED to pee when we would pet her but she stopped doing that at or around 6-7 months old. She would do it in the mornings, like she was excited to see us and would pee. She wasn't doing it every time we pet her. She's never done the ears back and squat to pee for us. The K9 Handler/Trainer we are working with came HIGHLY recommended and has a dog that is a Schutzhund champion. He knows what he is doing. You making a guess that he has no idea what he is doing doesn't answer my question so don't waste the thread time on here. Be helpful, not argumentative.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

lovecho, the head of the schutzhund club evaluated her along with the trainers. she is very well mannered, obedient, listens and responds well during training. my only question is about her submissiveness. she is getting less submissive so i am wondering if this trend will continue. for instance, i walk by my neighbors house, she always looks forward to greeting them on the walk, neighbor walks over, approaches her, she starts acting like a puppy and when he pets her she pees as her tail is wagging and she is jumping around.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Follow up with the trainer....I have known submissive peeing that went to six or seven months and the dog became good sport dog. Sounds like you are novice, and if the trainer sees things that they think can be worked with, then follow up with them if possible.....Good Luck!
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks cliffson! i am new to taking a dog for training of this magnitude. My previous dog was a boxer and i just had him as a pet so he knew sit, stay, come, and shake. I would eventually like Shelby to do S&R. I also want her to be there for when my wife goes out on a jog or walk in later evenings. The sight of Shelby alone will probably keep most creeps away from my wife but some people are really stupid and I want her to be prepared if that ever happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.