Worried 8 week old puppy will not eat but is drinking water - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worried 8 week old puppy will not eat but is drinking water

I'm so worried .. We purchased pup on sat and today is Thursday he stopped eating anything Tuesday ... He ate a bite of salmon last night and won't eat it today . We go to vet Saturday for last shots.. Just worried to death about him. He is still active a big size for a small puppy and he is drinking water... Frequently ... Why won't he eat ?? Nothing we tried same food as breeders had we tried turkey warm water ... Even tho he is still active he is starting to look skinny and moving slower than yesterday .
Leightaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are you feeding?. Puppies usually eat like theres no tomorrow. Do you have other dogs? Is the dog crated? Do you have children playing with the dog? Is there anything else that might be stressing it out?

Sorry I know its a lot of questions, I just like to kind of get an idea of what is going on.
jmoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok so he came from a breeder who had him and three pups left all living in the house and he was lazy there but neway I brought him home and we have one daughter n no other dogs... He had two visits to the vet prior to us getting his last scheduled visit is sat ... So we are trying to hold off till then.. Neway we were feeding him puppy food n he ate a lot the first day or so then I noticed the day after I got him he was eating grass outside ... Sooo I watched him and he was up all night with a gurgling tummy and one throw up in the morning on Tuesday it had the grass in it.. He never has stopped drinking water... So after he wouldn't eat I went and bought the food the breeder had which is beneficial puppy ... He didn't eat it do last night I read about cottage cheese n salmon n boiled chicken .... I tried salmon he ate a few bites n seemed to be fine and this morning he threw up bile and he seems weaker today ???

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not crated but stating inside currently ... We leave during the day to work... Oh and he has slept so much from the time we got him.. He is the biggest out if litter like 8 eeks and was close to 19 lbs

Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

What exact food are you giving him? low quality foods tend to have this effect. Get a crate. Dont just put him in there, make it a gradual thing, a few minutes at a time, all feedings near the crate, slowly moving the bowl into the crate, and then closing the gate after he starts eating and opening it back up afterwards. It gives them a place to feel safe/comfortable/secure. Changing every meal what you are feeding him might just be making the problem worse. Dogs can go a few days without food, but a puppy, not so much.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Take him to the vet. Don't wait until Saturday. Puppies can go downhill very quickly. If he is eating grass and throwing up then there is something wrong with him besides not liking the food. Beneful is terrible food (I assume that's what you mean by "Beneficial") but it doesn't cause puppies to throw up and stop eating.

And do not let them give him his shots if he is sick!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I missed the "beneficial" I apologize reading all the shorthand gave me a headache anyways. Beneful is garbage, If she hasn't eaten in two days, you probably should go to the vet tonight. Not even beneful should be that abhorrent to a puppy.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Take him to vet.

If he's out, uncrated, during the day, no telling what he ate! He may have an obstruction.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

go to the Vet and start crating immediately.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. I don't use computer much so slang text works for me! However it may have been misunderstood that my 8 week old puppy is left outside all day. He is not . We have a kennel (big) and we put him in there inside our garage with the doors vented. Diesel is at vet now and we are waiting to here something. Beneful is the dog food that they were using so I decided to use the same so it wouldn't upset his tummy. Beneficial was the word that came out of auto text ..... Not that any of those things were a concern at the time of the post. Thank you whoever you are for bringing it to my attention and everyone else's. For the positive feed back I appreciate it. This AINT my first rodeo. Although I haven't had a baby pup in years I did manage to keep my last GERMAN shep alive a while. I just buried him in march and am starting over again. Thanks again !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.