9 month old still biting and chewing everything in sight please help? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 9 month old still biting and chewing everything in sight please help?

So I currently have a 9 month old, black GSD puppy named Kody. He is intact because he comes from a nice working line, is AKC, and I plan on training him in Schutzhund and breeding him if he passes all his health tests when he's older.

Whenever I go outside to give him food and water, or to play with him, he always jumps up on me, scratches me, humps me, and bites my arms and back. Whenever he jumps up and humps me I cross my arms, turn my back to him, and spread my legs apart to make him lost his grip and force him to stop. I then ignore him until he calms down. This usually works, but he often jumps back up pretty quickly.

Another problem is that sometimes he'll get annoyed when I don't let him hump me so he'll bite my back. For this I usually stand there, turned away, arms crossed, trying to bear the pain without letting him notice. He also likes to jump up on me after I finish rubbing his belly.

The main problem, however, is that he really isn't allowed in the house unless he's in the crate because he's so crazy and grabs everything in sight. We usually keep him in the backyard a lot (unless it's cold or rainy or snowy or too hot out) because of this so he can run a lot. I throw the ball for him and walk him as often as i can, but I really don't have that much time with the hours of homework I have almost every night. Sometimes my dad and I will put his leash on and move the coffee table and other sofas out of his reach while we watch tv, but even that's hard to do because kody bites us and grabs anything he can find, even though we provide him with a bone and kong. Any ideas????

I already institute the NILIF as much as possible; he has to at least do two simple tricks to get his food, sometimes I hold entire training sessions using his whole meal. He is crate trained and sleeps in his crate in a separate room from me. He does okay with loose leash walking.

Please help me with this; I really want him to be able to walk around the house like a normal dog. Oh, also, he is about 55 to 60 pounds (last time i weighed him he was 45, so I'm estimating). Thank you so much for reading, any advice is much appreciated!!!
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

how is he supposed to learn if not given the chance to learn? If you don't want him grabbing everything, you need to teach him. You want to train him in schutzhund, you need to start with other things first.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

How do I teach him not grab at EVERYTHING? He's gotten pretty good at the out command, but he only follows commands if he knows I have food -.-. Also, he usually grabs the objects right back if I don't grab it and throw it somewhere out of the way fast Anouilh after he "outs" it. I started working on leave it, and he's gotten pretty good at that as well, but again, will really only do it if he knows I have some of his food with me. I've been using clicker training with the food reward btw.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Are you taking him to a SchH club now? If not, I'd recommend that. I second that if he's outside most of the time, he's not learning how to behave inside. He needs more exercise, both mental and physical. I'd put breeding right out of your mind right now. You're on your way to having an out of control dog.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whats your experience with a dog like this? Whats your experience with this breed?! You have a very large puppy. Teaching him to grab appropriate things is what you need to do. Teaching him to be calm in the house but crazy yet still respectful outside. I suggest you go read puppy threads regarding bite inhibition for sure.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

He sounds bored out of his mind... These are not the type of dogs that can be stuck outside and left to their own devices, they need their people. You can't teach him to behave in the house if you keep out there like others have said.

These dogs especially a full WL NEED a lot of exercise (being stuck out in the backyard does not count!), mental stimulation and a job to do daily. I do obedience exercises everyday(along with being in a class right now) with my pup along with a two hour walk plus playing with him with his flirt pole and giving him puzzle toys and sometimes not even that completely tires him out.

I agree with doing the schuz training now... I'll leave more advice to others better suited but to me he sounds bored and acting out because of it.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll try to talk to my dad about finding a Schutzhund club so we can start getting involved. We've been planning to get involved with it forever but everything's been really crazy lately with my parents getting divorced and losing jobs and stuff. How long a walk or how much exercise would you recommend daily for him? It's been hard learning how to raise this huge baby, but I'm trying to fix my mistakes. I've only ever raised and trained a yorkie, and she turned out to be the perfect dog. I'm just not used to a larger breed because now I can't just throw something up in the couch to put it out of reach. And, of course, he has so much more energy.

A few months ago during the summer and in the beginning of the year, when I had less homework, I would almost always handfeed him his entire second meal in parts, making him work for every part. Since then I have been getting lazy and just making him do a couple tricks before giving him his food. I realize now I need to try to discipline myself more to get back into this habit.

Last edited by Tulip; 03-09-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

You know, with everything going on maybe you need to find an experience working home for him. I'm not one to suggest re-homing a dog, but you're REALLY going to be in trouble with this dog soon if something dramatic doesn't change. Since you're obviously dependent on your parents, and their lives seem rather busy with other things right now... it seems like this would be in the dog's best interest. He needs LONG walks right now. He needs LOTS of interaction, and he's just not getting it. The combination of your age, family status, and lack of experience, it just sounds like the wrong dog at the wrong time. Did you get him from a breeder? If so, I'd contact the breeder.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm with Jag on this one. You have a whole lot of dog on your hands and he's not getting what he needs from you and your family to reach his potential. He needs boundaries and training and he's not getting them. He needs exercise, mentally and physically and he's not getting it. You have a dog that needs structure and it sounds like things are pretty scattered right now. This is a dog that should have been getting training even just in obedience from a young age because now you have a large puppy who will use his size to let you know he doesnt agree with things. He jumps and bites and humps on you because he's never been corrected or taught otherwise.

These dogs get so excited to be with their people that when you come out in the yard with him, that excitement boils over. He doesnt know how to control it. He needs help to learn. left to his own devices, you'll have an unruly dog and no control. This leads to the animal becoming a liability. The number one reason animals are ditched in shelters is due to behavior problems.

Either step up hard now and work with him or find someone who will take on the challenge he's become and help him get where he should be to be amazing.
Zena GSD 6/1/03

Last edited by KZoppa; 03-09-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know exactly what's wrong and that he needs to be corrected. That's why I'm coming here, for advice on how to do that because I'm not used to a large breed dog.

I'm adamant on not rehoming him because I would feel a thousand times guilty, especially because I know if I set my mind to it and discipline myself more I can fix these problems. I'm just here looking for advice on HOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.