German Shepherds Forum banner

So reluctant to listen

674 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bigd3077 
#1 ·
She is 9 and half weeks or so and really energetic.

If I do the down command (she knows down and sit), she does it slowly and in a huff (like telling a teenager what to do). It's hard to call her when she is out (not leash trained).

Now when I call come (which I've been training with treats), she runs over, takes the treat and runs back to where she was....she doesn't care about a "good girl" or anything.

#5 ·
Try to withhold physical contact. You don't want her to feel she'll be 'trapped' (for lack of a better word) for coming to you. As she matures, she'll want that contact more than the treat. But as a puppy she wants to play..play..play..play.

Try praising (vocally) as she comes to you. Once she gets to you continue to be vocal and give her a treat. Then take a few steps away. If she follows, tell her "Good Come!" and treat her again.

The idea is to make her think the best place to be is next to you. Allow her to make that decision on her own with out 'holding' her.

Remember she is a baby, so her world is bright and new and exciting. Don't feel bad that she would rather check out a butterfly then be stroked by you. As she matures, things will change. You've got to give her the opportunity to explore and get confident.

#6 ·
She is 9 and half weeks or so and really energetic.

If I do the down command (she knows down and sit), she does it slowly and in a huff (like telling a teenager what to do). It's hard to call her when she is out (not leash trained).

Now when I call come (which I've been training with treats), she runs over, takes the treat and runs back to where she was....she doesn't care about a "good girl" or anything.

More like an infant. Just be consistent. She is a baby. Don't expect her to do everything the first time. She is only 9 weeks old, lol..

#8 ·
at 9 weeks, she is really a baby - you cannot expect too much of her!!! but this is a great time to do imprinting and clicker work....just for a few minutes at a time....I would think that there are plenty of videos on you tube about it....mike ellis is on there ***I THINK*** and I bet Karen Pryor videos too....just work on sit, down, stand for now....recalls should be done as restrained recalls...someone holds the puppy and you run away from her, calling her name - as she gets more and more excited to be free, then they release her and she should come rocketing to you! asking her to just come for a treat is not as intense

Stay around, read the board, and you will get alot of help!

Lee

#9 ·
Another tip I can say works with mine is after training, I always say "take a break" and do something fun she likes. throw the ball, tug, etc. This way she knows all of her effort will be rewarded when we are done. And keep it short. 10-20 minutes, then fun. I usually train 2 sometimes 3 times a day for about 20 per session. Mine is 7 months now and doing great with it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.