crazy whining for food - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default crazy whining for food

My 11 week old girl is on raw diet, and shes 24 lbs, not starving. She has a high food drive. When I go to the kitchen for anything she thinks shes getting fed. I try my best to not feed her while shes whining but I must have because she thinks thats how shes fed or something. Ive been feeding legs and backs in the backyard because I dont want her wrestling with them in her crate and now if I open the backdoor she howls the way she did when I took her home- the neigbors are gonna think im abusing her
Im considering making her food and putting it right in front of her crate and let her get it all out and then feeding her when shes calm. It seems similar to crate training. Is this a bad idea? would I just be tormenting her since she cant think straight in that food drive mode?
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you, I wouldn't put the food in front of her crate and only let her out when she is quiet - that would be tormenting her. What I would do, is feed more often - 3 meals a day if you are not already doing that. I would also practice with her so that she knows not always to expect food. Several times a day, I go into the kitchen - turn and walk out - ignoring her. I would also go out the back door have her come outside - walk around and go back inside. Once she learns that it doesn't always mean food, she will start to calm down. The good news is for training, you will have it easier with a pup who has a strong food drive.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

maybe itll just take time. I never feed her straight from prep, I make her wait in the cage to seperate the prep and her eating so she wont act like this. She settles right down in the cage but she must still be thinking of food the whole time because if I open the back door she wails.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Okay- if she only wails when you open the back door after your have prepared her food and she has been waiting quietly in her crate, then that is understandable. If she is wailing everytime you open the backdoor, then what you may want to do is, start to train her to sit before you open the door. You can practice other than at her meal times.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I make her sit or down to get out of the crate, to get through the puppy gate and to get in or outside. She would be tackling the fridge and begging if I didnt have her in the cage while I thaw her food.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That's great - you are training her. But now I understand, she has healthy appetite - no picky eater. She will be easy to train since she is food motivated. So, imo, I would be happy with that. She probably isn't making that much noise, but you could always put on some music to mask it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

She is a drama queen, she whines alot. Even when I tell her to sit at a threshhold shell whine and stall for a second as if its alot of effort LOL.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes and she can step right up and get her "Best Actress Award" at the Oscars
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Heres a video- 004_zpsc52c7806.mp4 Video by volcano21 | Photobucket

She quiets down if I put a box to block her view of me, otherwise today she kept it up.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I couldn't get the video but I could look at the photos. Pretty pup, looks like she is a sable? It looks like you've found the solution with the box to block her view.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.