mean while on the leash.. (Aggressive after being attacked) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default mean while on the leash.. (Aggressive after being attacked)

I got Kodiak three weeks ago, he came in the house and met my little dogs, and cat with no problems. I walked him around the neighborhood and went to petsmart and he was a delightful boy. On the my fourth day with him, while taking our walk, a dog down the road was off leash and attacked Kodiak. He wasn't hurt by the other dog but every since then when he goes out and sees another dog he attacks. I tried walking him on the leash around the yard with my other dogs running lose and he is fine, but as soon as we go out, he is all anger. We start classes this Wednesday and I'm worried what will happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can help over come this.
kodiak2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Kodiak, and welcome to the forum.

Glad your pup wasn't hurt, but too bad he had this bad experience!

What I would suggest is see if you can find someone with an older, calmer, confident dog to walk Kodiak with. The older dog can be a good example and make Kodiak feel safer on walks.

Another thing to do is to keep Kodiak's mind busy and engaged while walking him, so he does not have time to focus on being afraid. Take treats, toys, and plan short walks that are all fun, fun, fun!!! Play, play play! Make a fool of yourself in front of the neighbours.

At this point, I would be worried about him associating leash walks with fear and attacks, so I would try to not put him in a situation where those feelings are brought up. Maybe try taking him to a completely different area, where he can be in an enclosed, safe place off leash (let him drag a line so you can still grab him quick if need be). Take up the line a bit and walk around with him on the line, while getting him to chase you, etc . . . just make it fun for him.

I really think that he can overcome this, but you'll have to change up his routine and his expectations quite a bit.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Kodiak

Thank you, for your ideas. I will defently try them, I only want him to look the part of guard dog, I don't want him to be mean, or afraid of things that should be a pleasurable. Do you think the beach would be a good place too?
kodiak2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.