Can GSD's Bond with Two People in the Home? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can GSD's Bond with Two People in the Home?

The reason I ask this question is my 6 month old girl Tess seems to be bonded to my husband a lot more than she is with me, which causes me to wonder why, as I'm the one who's with her the most, I'm the one who trains her, I'm with her all day, I picked her out, etc. etc.

I know that she loves me, she always comes in to greet me in the morning, even if my husband lets her out of her crate and vice versa if I let her out, she goes in to greet him. When I had her in day care and would pick her up at the end of the day, she would be all over me, even peeing due to her excitement to see me most of the time. When my husband goes out, she will sit by the door waiting for him to return and last night he spent the night in Boston at his daughters house and it seemed as if Tess couldn't settle very well due to him not being there. Maybe she'd do that if I had to spend the night away from home, I don't know. I'm just curious and yes, maybe a little bit jealous about how much affection she shows my husband.

I've read that GSD usually will bond with one person but I've also heard that they will bond with all that are in the household, as that's her pack.

Anyone else feel that their dog is showing more devotion to their significant other?
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

our dog seems well bonded with both of us. both of us equally
take of our dog in all aspects starting when we brought him
home at 9 weeks old.

are you sure your dog is giving your husband more attention
than you or is your "little bit jealous" blurring you're vision?
your dog being uneasy and your husband being away
could be coincidental. maybe she was uneasy about something,
maybe she didn't feel good. test her. have your husband spend
a night out and then you spend a night out and see what happens?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog has bonded with both my daughter and me. She has special things she does that is unique for each of us. My husband does not spend as much time with her, but now that she is mature, almost 3yrs old, she is creating special rituals with my husband.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
our dog seems well bonded with both of us. both of us equally
take of our dog in all aspects starting when we brought him
home at 9 weeks old.

are you sure your dog is giving your husband more attention
than you or is your "little bit jealous" blurring you're vision?
your dog being uneasy and your husband being away
could be coincidental. maybe she was uneasy about something,
maybe she didn't feel good. test her. have your husband spend
a night out and then you spend a night out and see what happens?
Maybe it was coincidental with her not seeming to settle last night, it could have been something else bothering her.

I'm really just curious after reading that Shepherds usually bond with one person, which I really don't believe but wanted to test the waters and see how others feel about that statement. Like I said, I know she loves me too, it just seems at times that she favors him a little more. Then again, I don't leave and return as much as my husband does either and maybe if I did, she would act the same way.

When DH comes home from work at night and Tess hears his truck door shut, she goes crazy with excitement and she's all over him when he comes in the house.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm sure this is an old wives' tale, but, IMHO...it's the male/female thing.

There are four adults that live in my home (1 male, 3 females) and I'll just drop back to the time when we had our two dogs, Finn and Cheyenne. Finn is bonded with myself, my MIL, and my girl-friend. He loves my Hubby, but Finn won't seek him out for love or affection unless Hubby calls him over. Hubby tells me all the time about how restless and 'off' Finn is when I'm not around.

Cheyenne, our Collie, didn't give a rat's butt what any of the females in the house wanted, but she was my Hubby's heart dog. She would snuggle with him, love on him, and she was just better bonded with him. Our breeder told us from the beginning that a male dog would bond more to the females in the house while a female dog would bond better with the males in the house and if she wasn't spot on...

No matter what I did with Chey, in the end, she was just bonded with him. I did all the walks, play time, training, feeding, bath time, whatever, but in the end she was bonded with Hubby. She listened to both of us, but she "loved" my husband more. Finn does the same thing; we tried to all have equal share in dog responsibilities, but in the end, I would say Finn is most bonded with me, then my MIL, then my girl-friend, then my husband. Finn still listens to my hubby and does what he is supposed to do, but he is more "reactive" to me than he is him.

As long as she is listening to you and doing what you ask of her without much of an issue, I wouldn't worry about it. Happy puppy stage!

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Penny is 5 mo and is bonded with both of us very well. While I am her 'owner' and the dominant one in the house who does the majority of her care and training, she respects me more. But in terms of love and loyalty she bonded with both of us.

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Koda is, in the end, more bonded to me than my bf. She gets uneasy if either of us leaves, and we share responsibilities. However, if she can choose between us on a walk, in the living room, etc while still being able to watch the other, she comes to me. And she doesn't bug him for affection unless he's been gone.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both our females are glued to me. We started out with DW working and training with Zoey and I with Tuke. Both girls ended up with a closer bond with me. We now have a male and DW is insisting I stay hands off with him. The kids get home from school at the same time I get home from work, they are supposed to open his crate and throw the ball to give him exercise until she gets home. We'll see if it works, but IDK.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

My dog is bonded with me more than my wife. Follows me (almost) everywhere. Sometimes she will stay in the room my wife is in and not follow me. That is happening more as she matures (age 3). She gets much more feedback (as well as food) from me so that probably has something to do with it. When my wife was working she would go nuts for a few minutes greeting her but then return to following me everywhere.
Pooky44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1270 View Post
I'm really just curious after reading that Shepherds usually bond with one person.....
Is it possible you read that they tend to bond MORE with one person rather than ONLY with one person?

I've never had a dog that only bonded with one of us, but although our dogs are very bonded to both of us, they each also have their "special" person. For Keefer, it's me, for Halo, it's my husband. But Keefer adores Tom too, and Halo is also very affectionate and attentive with me. I do all the training, and I race her in flyball and she's always worked very well for me.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.