what is this??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default what is this???

a few days ago maya started behaving strangely towards my boyfriend?
he works all morning and comes home at around 7. when i get home or anyone else, as soon as we go to her kennel he wags her tail and gets exited to see us. but when my bf comes home lately her ears go down she looks somewhat scared? maybe? squats and pees.. just a little.. everytime itīs the same thing, he can go in her kennel 3 times a day. she will do it all 3 times.. iīm concerned.. i donīt know it itīs exitement ( my pom pees when too exited) or if sheīs scared of him, then i would have to talk to him about that to see what he has been doing..
what do u guys think?
Lalaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

She's probably submissive. Is he really tall and leaning over her threateningly when he approaches, that might scare her. maybe he can squat down and approach slow, not sure what he's doing
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

well about two weeks ago she would do what i said. but when it came to him she would just want to play. he used to get mad at me about that saying it was unfair x)
he is tall.. and we tried many ways to aproach her, me being around, him squating, him with treats, him talking to her in a nice tone or with a toy, but she still does it.. iīm concerned because he doesnīt know much how he should treat her, and im scared he might be treating her too roughly and that she will become a frightened dog.. i dont want that. i like her happy nature
Also when he lets her out of the kennel she will just pee anywhere, actual puddle of pee.. wich she doesnīt do when i let her out
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well for the pee, Maybe lay a towel in front of the kennel and have him release her from it and have him immediately pick her up to take outside so she doesn't pee everywhere.

She may have picked up on him getting mad at you before and began to fear him a little bit, it's a possibility. What do you mean by "he might be treating her too roughly" what does he do?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

that makes sense.. when he holds her so she doesnīt run at kids for example, i think he might hold her too tighly or pull on her fur or something because she always yelps, or walking her he tugs on the leash and she yelps as well, and basically i think he thinks a dog needs to be yelled at to learn. I canīt be that rough to her so iīm walking her instead of him now, and when he lets her to play i feel like i need to keep an eye on him for her sake.
Maybe iīm just a softy?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
that makes sense.. when he holds her so she doesnīt run at kids for example, i think he might hold her too tighly or pull on her fur or something because she always yelps, or walking her he tugs on the leash and she yelps as well, and basically i think he thinks a dog needs to be yelled at to learn. I canīt be that rough to her so iīm walking her instead of him now, and when he lets her to play i feel like i need to keep an eye on him for her sake.
Maybe iīm just a softy?
Yikes, I don't think he should yell at her, she's a baby that's going to confuse her. He needs to teach her what to do instead instead of yelling about what she shouldn't do. If she runs at kids, maybe just pick her up and bring her to the kids and teach her that being calm means she can see them or something.. Instead of tugging on leash, just feed her or call her excitedly or shake toys, you don't want her to hate the leash, they take awhile to get used to leashes too.

I think you are not too much of a softy, and I think it's a good idea to keep your eye on how they play. Definitely cut out the yelling though. The really tight holding can also make her feel panicked or possibly hurt her (pulling of fur like you said). Just explain to him that she doesn't understand what he wants when he yells, it's like when a foreign person yells at you in their language and you are confused, but if they make gestures or point for things to do you can usually figure out what they want.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks iīll try and talk to him about that.
picking her up is not really and option, sheīs quite big now, but iīll give him more treats and toys to use on her.
The tuging came from the trainer we got her, she likes the leash and walks on it well, but he said when she tugs, we should pull it īī more or less`` harshly and change direction, maybe thatīs what heīs trying to do
Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds like the boyfriend should stay away from your dog.

Some people are not sensitive enough to understand the needs of dogs especially young females. The pup should be sheltered and protected with it's pack and growing in confidence not the opposite.

To me a dog can yelp once but if he continues with the action of making it yelp he is gonna loose the trust of the pup(Sounds like it has already happened).

It's a bad sign that he doesn't see anything wrong with a dog yelping like that.

Why doesn't he have his own dog for rough housing???
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Madlab... i find it strange since he was very loving with our last gsd niko that passed about 6 months ago. We talked this morning ( and i got a bit mad) when he went to take her for a walk and she peed in the living room instead, We agreed that the walking and training will be left for me to do and that for now i just want him to play and be nice towards her, but he seems to insist that she is not peeing of fear but exitement. I figured if she was exited she would.. i donīt know.. seem happy?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
Madlab... i find it strange since he was very loving with our last gsd niko that passed about 6 months ago. We talked this morning ( and i got a bit mad) when he went to take her for a walk and she peed in the living room instead, We agreed that the walking and training will be left for me to do and that for now i just want him to play and be nice towards her, but he seems to insist that she is not peeing of fear but exitement. I figured if she was exited she would.. i donīt know.. seem happy?
go with your gut. she would seem happy if it was happiness, hopefully he learns how to be a little more sensitive towards your little girl. Be firm with your bf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.