what is this??? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dogs don't lie..... Sounds like you both need to look at your relationship. Dogs pick up on that.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Dogs don't lie..... Sounds like you both need to look at your relationship. Dogs pick up on that.
You think our relationship issues could be doing that to her? how so?
Lalaland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
that makes sense.. when he holds her so she doesnt run at kids for example, i think he might hold her too tighly or pull on her fur or something because she always yelps, or walking her he tugs on the leash and she yelps as well, and basically i think he thinks a dog needs to be yelled at to learn. I cant be that rough to her so im walking her instead of him now, and when he lets her to play i feel like i need to keep an eye on him for her sake.
Maybe im just a softy?
Without actually seeing her reaction to him, it is hard to say exactly what we think she is feeling, but chances are, he is acting too strongly towards her and she is a bit frigtened of him. Some dogs have softer personalities. Just because she is yelping doesn't necessarily mean she is in PAIN, some GSDs, including mine, are over dramatic and take pride in yelping and screaming.

ON THE OTHER HAND - If you feel like you need to keep an eye on her for her own sake, you may want to go with your gut and ask yourself why exactly you feel you need to be doing this? If you feel the need to do that, and are questioning if she is afraid, I think you may want to evaluate your situation and how this (he) may play a role in her development and confidence for the future.

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
he(trainer) said when she tugs, we should pull it more or less`` harshly and change direction, maybe thats what hes trying to do
This is true with some dogs but not with others. It also depends what you are trying to do. In general you play tug so the dog can feel comfortable gripping and biting. I aim for the dog to hold steady using it's weight and power but not going too crazy. You should be looking for duration rather than fighting the tug IMO

But if a dog is shy or unsure of the situation it will not enjoy playing roughly with the tug. And will not grip it fully and will let go. Essentially if a dog is not totally comfortable it'd won't enjoy it. So with dogs like this you need to build up there drive for tug. Let it be comfortable with it in its mouth. Then gently move it from side to side so the dog is comfortable gripping the tug. Let it know you are not going to rip the thing from it's mouth. Slowly it will enjoy holding the tug and start to feel more confident and so will start to handle a bit more power.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Yikes, I don't think he should yell at her, she's a baby that's going to confuse her. He needs to teach her what to do instead instead of yelling about what she shouldn't do. If she runs at kids, maybe just pick her up and bring her to the kids and teach her that being calm means she can see them or something.. Instead of tugging on leash, just feed her or call her excitedly or shake toys, you don't want her to hate the leash, they take awhile to get used to leashes too.

I think you are not too much of a softy, and I think it's a good idea to keep your eye on how they play. Definitely cut out the yelling though. The really tight holding can also make her feel panicked or possibly hurt her (pulling of fur like you said). Just explain to him that she doesn't understand what he wants when he yells, it's like when a foreign person yells at you in their language and you are confused, but if they make gestures or point for things to do you can usually figure out what they want.
My little nephew who is 2 yo always shouts of excitement when he sees my 8 weeks old puppy do you know if the puppy realises that my nephew is a baby too or will he get scared ? ty
emy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
My little nephew who is 2 yo always shouts of excitement when he sees my 8 weeks old puppy do you know if the puppy realises that my nephew is a baby too or will he get scared ? ty
That is a totally different situation as an adult 'yelling' at a dog. Your pup may or may not get used to the child screaming. I would think it better for the child not to be screaming at the dog. I would closely monitor the interactions between them any ways. A child and dog should always be supervised.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland View Post
You think our relationship issues could be doing that to her? how so?
OK, so here it goes. First of all I don't know you or your partner but here's my experience. In the very long ago past I lived in a dysfunctional relationship with an verbally abusive man. My (our) dog had a sensitive stomach, so we thought.; throwing up every day and diarrhea on a regular bases. Eventually I saw the light and broke up with the boy"friend".
And guess what? The dog never threw up again or had diarrhea". Sometimes the ex would stop by my new home and the dog was completely aggressive to him, while in the past he never that that to him. He knew that that guy was bad news for me and he was.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy1 View Post
Agree with what MadLab said, that should be a totally different situation. The dog may be a little freaked out by a screaming kid at first but 'shouts of excitement' are totally different than being yelled at. The puppy may even get excited too once she/he learns what kids are and how fun they can be Or maybe the puppy will think that the screaming hurts their ears and try to avoid the kids, little kids usually are just ear pullers and fur pullers right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.