Please help! 3 month pup showing signs of aggression, seriously! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try tug? And I sometimes take the remains of a dismembered toy and tie a string to it, and put it on a stick and than drag it around in front of the dog -- kind of like playing with a cat. When you do that for a little, and then tug a little, then get out a SQUEEKY toy, a ball or something that is roundish, and squeak the dickens out of it, and then half throw half roll it so that she chases. Get Cher Ball! Usually they will chase it.

If she brings it back that is a bonus. Party time!!! Do it 1-2 more times, then put it away. Always stop when she wants more. Some of my dogs think that the game is to get Susie to throw the darn ball and chase it until it stops, and then watch Susie come down and get the ball. Eventually that morphs into running and chasing the ball, snatching it up, and taking it far away from Susie and waiting for her to trundle all the way across the yard to get the ball twice as far as she threw it.

I swear my dogs do a lot of laughing at me. Odie and Hepsi and Jenna are my fetch-dogs. The rest of them need remedial fetch classes. I just hate it when they run after the ball, snatch it up, drop it, sniff around, and then pee on it. Are they telling me something???

They say that dogs have a simple life philosophy: if you can't chase it, bite it, chew it, or eat it, then pee on it and walk away.

I do not do lip rolls, and I do not grab the muzzle. When my puppies would bite -- none of them were very bitey, I would tell them NO, or OUCH those are MY fingers! I want to Keep those! And then I would work on the GENTLE commands. Once we are good with gentle, I would tell them Eh! GENTLE, Gentle with susie's fingers. And they would know that they could not eat me.

I can't seem to get it through to them that the toenail down the back isn't all that comfortable either, but that is another story. We are learning not to jump on Susie. Some days are better than others, and one-on-one seems to be a lot better than 2 or more of them against me. They also like to do this malicious little tag team thing: They wait until my hands are full of the water or food bucket, and then one comes behind my knees while the other jumps on me from the front.

They are trying to kill me, I know.

Then they hear the string of obscenities that they think are terms of endearment, and they stand back and laugh at me then.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

Everyone has something different to say. People, who have worked with dogs much longer than I ever have, tell me that this play biting can turn into something very bad if it's not stopped now. Other people say that it's OK. One behavioral psychologist wrote that you should allow them to mouth you so it satiates your puppy's need to mouth you and relieve it's oral fixation (rather Freudian, but hey). He said you should just put your thumb in its mouth and wriggle it around, then the dog is happy and can go along its day satisfied. Several people told me that the puppy should be absolutely not allowed to bite or mouth in any way and should be severely punished if he ever growls, bites, or puts his mouth on me in any way; alpha role, tackling, smacking, the muzzle thing. Other people say teach bite inhibition and get up and yelp like a litter mate, but why would any owner, trying to be a leader, want to be seen as a litter mate? However, the video just posted made sense. We tried it, it didn't work. He just bit our legs and pants, and it doesn't work when I am trying to pry his mouth off my pants and then he decides to go for my fingers, or when he decides to go for my legs on a walk. I have taught 'leave it' which doesn't work when he's got his mouth on something he wants, he won't listen. Some trainers say that if your dog isn't listening to you then it means they don't respect you and you have to make sure that respect is known. I am VERY confused. And it all started with the trainer who gave us a consultation. She even told me not to talk to anyone else because of the confusion, and how everyone says something different. Me and my dog both pull my hair out. I just want someone who has raised multiple GSDs and other dogs, who don't have aggression issues whatsoever (dogs or owners), and are family dogs, to tell me how to handle my pup and insure that he is going to grow up wonderfully within our family.
As far as the muzzle thing, I stopped pushing his head into his neck and waiting for him to submit. I just close his muzzle and tell him no bite, then let go, repeat if necessary. He gets the picture eventually. I don't like it, but I figure I've got to do something to get him to not bite while we are on walks, so what do I do in that situation? I've watched the videos on here, I've seen the 'off' guy three times and used 'leave it' instead. The other guy said he'll smack him if he needs to, so... what to do?? And the other girl with the calming signals, I've been trying them out.
It's not at all that I'm lazy and not willing to do what's necessary, it's that I'm not sure what is necessary for a young pup. So mouthing is OK?
jlinnenk8883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I didn't read every post but it seems like if the puppy is awake he is with you.

If he was mine I would have an ex-pen and let him work off some of that need to bite on toys in the pen. You can be near him but still get a break from those teeth. Give him appropriate toys in his pen to chew on and try a bully stick occasionally. Bully sticks give them something to chew on and can eat but take awhile.

Give yourself a break once in awhile everyday and then implement other suggestions have been made.

Puppies are going to bite but it doesn't need to be on you all the time. Good Luck.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your not a dog. You do not need to worry about being a pack leader or littermate. But, your puppy is a baby, and his whole life revolved around what he learned from his dam and littermates.

Typically littermates will yelp, and if that doesn't work, they will ignore or avoid the puppy. He will learn that if he wants to play with them, he cannot be so rough. I do not yelp like a puppy, but I will say, EH! Gentle with my fingers! I will say NO!, No bite. Easy on the fingers. If necessary I will remove myself from the line of fire. If that means dropping him into his play area, behind a baby gate, what have you. That is what it means. I don't like pups being regulated to the outdoors, or into a crate, or even behind closed doors. But put into where he cannot engage with your legs or hands for a period is fine. A baby-gated room or an x-pen.

As soon as things get rough, game over. Just like the littermates, we won't play with you if you are going to bite so hard, neither will I. But puppies can take it. So now he needs to learn to be even more gentle with you. Start with the treat in the hand. Teach him to take it Gently. Teach him to be have some self control.

Also, instead of taking long walks, do things with him that exercises his play drive, and his brain. Teach him tricks and obedience commands. Use treats, and teach him to work for the treat. Keep it light and keep it fun.

Another thing you can do is when he gets bitey, just put him in his play area, and then give him a frozen rope or a stuffed kong. Make him work his mouth.

Play, play, play with him and the moment he gets rough, put him in his area and walk away.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Ok, where can I get one of these x-pens? I'm looking at them on-line, and my house isn't big enough for a large one, how big should it be? Is tethering him OK? We've started tethering him to his kennel which is in the living room, so he's around us but we can get away if we have to. The only problem is.. he's chewing on his tether, and his blanket on top of his kennel, and the blanket inside his kennel, but not on his toys. If I get an x-pen, can it be in a separate room if the door is open? We have a spare bedroom I could utilize. I tried to start the bite inhibition with him earlier, he's biting pretty hard - and my husband is really upset with me because he thinks I'm teaching him that it's OK to bite. Once I walked away because he was biting too hard, he started chewing on everything minus what he's supposed to be chewing on. I just tried playing with him using his toys, and like Jenny, my skin and clothes were all he wanted.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can get an x-pen on line or at pet co, and maybe pet supplies plus. If you can completely puppy proof the spare room you can use that, but have a good baby gate for the door, and you have to be able to get him there fast. If you have to run him upstairs into the spare room, by the time he gets there, he things that biting gets him a lift up to the upper level, fun!

You really want to have him out and play with him and the moment he starts biting hard, pick him up and put him in the pen and walk away. Game over. I am in two minds about the tether. On the one hand you can completely, up and walk away from the little land shark, but on the other hand he is learning to bite leads. Not good.

He has to have a variety of chewable items. He is teething. A rubber Kong or a Nylabone might not be what his teeth are looking for at this moment. The chair leg is just right. People will redirect when he goes for the wrong things. His pen will be 4'x4' and should have only appropriate chewies in it. Variety is the spice of life.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Two words. Flirt pole.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Ha! What's a flirt pole?? Seltzer, your humor is really helping out with the stress level, I appreciate it. We have the perfect room right next to our living room we could use, so I'll but that to use. He's potty trained so I think we'll be OK as far as accidents. I'm going to get one today! What is a good brand that won't fall over? I read that they can be pretty unstable for bigger dogs, and Armin is growing super quick. He grew 5lbs in two days, he's already 33 lbs!... no one else at the vet was surprised except me, I'm sure you all know well how these land sharks grow but I was jaw to the floor.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinnenk8883 View Post
One behavioral psychologist wrote that you should allow them to mouth you so it satiates your puppy's need to mouth you and relieve it's oral fixation (rather Freudian, but hey).
That's what I did, I share this opinion. I was forever shoving my fingers into my little landshark's mouth. When he bit me hard, I'd twist my finger into the empty space before the back molars so he couldn't pierce me. If he kept it up, I'd take my fingers away and manipulate a toy into his mouth instead. If he got really rough, I'd step over a baby gate to stop the play. It's all about communicating a gentle bite, IMO. I also had a cow's worth of bones (still do, lol) lying around so he always had something fantastic to chew on.

My DH thought I was training him to bite too, but he just didn't understand how mouthy a baby GSD can be. Plus, chewing helps their ears develop and helps with their teething so you do want them to have an outlet. Toys alone just don't cut it - pardon the bad pun, lol.

I don't agree with your trainer. I don't think doing anything that scares or antagonizes such a young puppy will teach it anything you want it to learn. If anything, it will teach them to be rougher not gentler, IMO.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Nice way to wear them out.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.