Prong Collar magic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Prong Collar magic

I think I have a new puppy.

I never, ever, thought I would have to resort to a prong collar on any GSD I raise.

Lisl is the first working line dog I've had and she is a bit more spirited and obnoxious as a puppy than other GSD's I've raised.

The problem was not her walking on lead. She does that fine and heels well...in one direction only. Away from home.

As soon as we turn around, or round a corner of the block in the direction of home she starts pulling on the lead. Click training hasn't stopped this, a conventional choke collar (that I've succesfully used on all my other dogs) had no effect. Even when she was hacking and breathing hard, she'd just as soon choke herself to get back home.

Frankly, I've never seen this behavior. I've had dogs that hate the lead and collar no matter which way they're heading, and other dogs that don't care at all and will follow me anywhere at my heel.

Not this dog.

The prong collar came today and after I arrived home from work we immediately went for a long walk both to and from home. After the prongs did their job the very first time and she let out a little yelp, she never pulled again after walking for over 45 minutes both to and from home.

I swear this isn't the same dog I left when I went to work this morning. The walk was very enjoyable despite the 19 temp and 10 windchill.

These collars really do work without hurting the dog. If I thought for a second I was hurting Lisl I would have removed it and never put it on her again. I think she enjoyed the walk more too without me having to make constant corrections.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Hold old is she? Is she pulling you over on a flat collar? Have you tried a martingale? I totally hate using prongs on pups. I had to resort to this because everything else I tried didn't work. He pulled the minute the lead was on until it was off. He walks nose to the ground (tracking I don't know what) the entire walk. Did you exhaust all other options first? I know they can work great... but she's so very young (I believe). Changing up the routine, luring, distraction, praise and reward.. did she fail all of these? I know it's just a tool... but not one I like for pups. It's just my opinion... not worth too much.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Oooooh, I just saw her adorable pictures you posted. Is she that age or are they old?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I took those last night. She'll be 13 weeks tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Personally, I feel she is a bit young for a prong. I even hesitated when I had to use one about 7 months but that is because my shoulders were having trouble and we went into a little defiant phase. It is a great tool but.....

There really is some good advice here and I mean this for a high drive working dog

Loose leash training; Suggestions only pls!

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Well, first, if I were in driving distance, you would have to be very careful letting your puppy out for potties if you know what I am saying. Because she is mind numbingly cute.

That thread by Nancy is old and interesting/informative - it was fun to read to see some former members.

Leash Walking Ahimsa Dog Blog
Silky Leash Video – How to Train Leash Walking Ahimsa Dog Blog

I have been wanting to try that with a dog!

No-Pull Dog Harness Product Review - Whole Dog Journal Article is the beginning of an article about no pull harnesses that are referenced in the Ahimsa blog. I do use those harnesses for fosters who pull while I work with them on leash walking. Including a 90# scared dog who might bolt - I gave that to his adopters, and a 45# drivey dog who was excited to go anywhere.

Anyway - they favor the New Freedom harness, the Halti brand harness (not the head/face thing) which is inexpensive for growing pups, and then the Sensation harness also did well.

I like harnesses because they remind me of reins on a horse more. I feel like I am talking to the dog better. Things may work, but just because I can use them and they do, doesn't mean it is something that I would use for my dogs or a puppy.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ouch... I don't agree with using a prong on a 13 week old puppy. Not at all...

Try using a harness and working on training instead of the prong. Prong is for older dogs. I hesitated using one at 11 months of age...

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

I didn't like using one at 11 months, but at the size we're dealing with, the need for 'immediate' response (leave the cats), and the sake of my shoulders and neck, prong collar was the answer. I use the dead loop and have a quick release clamp. She doesn't even question commands she knows, and doesn't challenge the collar.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

The prong collar does not hurt the dog. An abusive handler with any type collar can hurt a dog.
You are doing the right thing, imo. Letting her pull is just rehearsing a behavior that you do not want. A handler can actually damage a pups trachea from the pulling.

Make sure the collar is fitted properly, you should be able to slide your hand under the collar. ( When pup is older collar should be right behind the ears and snug)Attach leash to both rings. Gentle pulses for communication should be all that is needed. Work at home with collar before adding more distractions.

Enjoy the walks now!

Ps ..always take off collar unless you are directily supervises pup..never wear prong in crate.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

She has stopped all pulling now.

This was posted as an observation about behavior modification using this type of collar.

It works. And has been stated before, it does not hurt the dog if used correctly.

Lisl still wants to go for walks, she doesn't run when I reach for the collar, and she doesn't squirm while I'm putting it on her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.