Puppy behavior questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question Puppy behavior questions

My Ollie is getting ready to hit 5 months old(where did the time go?! Seems like yesterday he was a tiny little fuzzball)...

We've had some new behaviors popping up! He has started to occasionally big boy bark at other dogs, not all dogs just some - seems to mostly be dogs who are looking/staring at him. From what I can tell so far anyways, it just started happening.

I think the main issue is he was allowed to greet and play with too many other dogs growing up. When he was smaller it was next to impossible to go anywhere without being stopped, a lot of the times were people with other dogs. I take the blame for this, I should have not worried about hurting people's feelings and not stopped to sniff and greet.

My plan was to carry high value yums with me and when I see another dog coming, let him see it but then immediately distract him with food and praise until the dog passes by. Does this sound ok, should I not let him play with other dogs until we get this resolved? His training is coming along well, he is such a well behaved mellow boy... This and one other thing is where we're having issues ATM.

Also just out of curiosity... Ollie does NOT jump on me or strangers but he jumps all over my husband. My husband LOVES dogs but he is one of the types who treats them like people, not dogs... For example he's coddled my Chi/terrier mix every time she was afraid and now she's a neurotic mess, so much so that if her thunder shirt and calming supplements don't work I'm thinking about getting her on anxiety meds. Sometimes training husbands is harder then dogs.

I'll admit to something I know it completely and utterly silly... When Ollie jumps all over him and not me, I'll feel like he loves him more. Believe me I know it's a stupid and irrational emotion... Could him doing that mean he has less respect for the hubby?

Anyways sorry this got long, thank you for any input!

A picture of my lollipop for your time!

Untitled (2013-01-21 02:27:58) by snowypony, on Flickr
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Old 01-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't offer any good advice, since I'm still enjoying Dexter's puppyhood. But, I wanted to say that your puppy is adorable!
Sitz&Platz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitz&Platz View Post
I can't offer any good advice, since I'm still enjoying Dexter's puppyhood. But, I wanted to say that your puppy is adorable!
Thanks! Ollie's puppyhood has been pretty smooth sailing, just this barking thing is NOT something I want him doing as an 80-85lb adult.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ollie is a handsome young fellow, he has just found his big boy bark and is saying hello. Sorry I can't offer any advice other than redirecting him, but I think you said that you were already doing that.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ill take it as I'm doing everything right since no one has any input.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Ollie is a handsome young fellow, he has just found his big boy bark and is saying hello. Sorry I can't offer any advice other than redirecting him, but I think you said that you were already doing that.
Yes I wasn't looking forward to him discovering his bark.

And thanks! I think he is kind of going through a Wylie Coyote stage ATM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When Bear started going through some similar issues, I started working a lot more in focusing on me. Through one of my classes I took with Bear, anytime the dog would start getting distracted you would click (we were using clickers) and treat. Every time he would focus back to me I would click and treat.
Sometimes I would carry a squeaker into pocket to also get him to focus back on me. If that didn't work then I would turn around and remove him from the distraction.
In regards to Ollie and your husband. They have a relationship that is unique to them. I used to get jealous because Bear only wants to play ball with my husband. I am the primary person for Bear so I was curious why he would seek out my husband for fun. But I have accepted that that us their special thing and Bear and I have other special things that we do.
I hope this helps somewhat, I not really one to offer training advice but this is what has worked for me so far. I also chalk it up to puppy butthead stage that he's probably going through
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.