What should I do? puppy agression? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Brandon, I'm sorry about all this. I'm glad that your breeder is there for help and that you have a few choices that might be a better fit for Odin.

One thing I would do since he is showing such unstable behaviour at such an early age and is going to be rehomed, is to Neuter him ASAP. You are doing the responsible thing by realizing that he is too much for you to handle, and you also want to make sure that his dangerous fearfulness will NOT be transmitted on to other GSDs.

This is not a dog that should go to a breeder. The GSD world does not need any more fear-reactive dogs. There is no reason at all why a breeder/trainer would want to have him as a show dog other than to use him as a stud.

If your uncle has experience with reactive GSDs, and has offered to take Odin, I think it will be a good fit. But do neuter Odin first. Maybe you were waiting for Odin to get older, but I would do it now to make sure it is done before he leaves your hands and is out of your control.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Brandon, I'm sorry about all this. I'm glad that your breeder is there for help and that you have a few choices that might be a better fit for Odin.

One thing I would do since he is showing such unstable behaviour at such an early age and is going to be rehomed, is to Neuter him ASAP. You are doing the responsible thing by realizing that he is too much for you to handle, and you also want to make sure that his dangerous fearfulness will NOT be transmitted on to other GSDs.

This is not a dog that should go to a breeder. The GSD world does not need any more fear-reactive dogs. There is no reason at all why a breeder/trainer would want to have him as a show dog other than to use him as a stud.

If your uncle has experience with reactive GSDs, and has offered to take Odin, I think it will be a good fit. But do neuter Odin first. Maybe you were waiting for Odin to get older, but I would do it now to make sure it is done before he leaves your hands and is out of your control.
I agree with this. Why on earth would the breeder want to give this dog to someone to show if he's got this behavioral issue? If it was serious enough for someone to call animal control... then maybe your initial post was more spot on than the second. Genetics should stop with him. The breeder should be taking a hard look at what he/she is breeding. Not trying to pass on those genetics further! You also can't trust anyone else to neuter. Needs to be done before the dog leaves your home. If the breeder wants to compensate you for the dog, fine, but neuter first. What is your contract with your breeder?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

Of course, there are some breeders who want to breed this reactivity into their dogs for IPO sports.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have experience with a fear aggressive GSD. I rescued him when he was a year old. He was great with us, but couldn't be around strangers as he would bite. Luckily, we seldom have visitors and when we would, he would be put in a bedroom or on a leash until they left. When we had him in public, he was fine as long as no one tried to pet him, so we keep everyone away. We would never give him up, we learned to live with him and know what he is comfortable with and what he is not. When he goes to the vet, he is muzzled. I think the best thing for you to do is to neuter your boy and give him to someone that can handle him. Good luck.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01-08/22/14, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/14, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I also hope you realize this is NOT the breed. Shepherds are wonderful dogs. The "only" dog for many of us. I hope you don't give up on the breed because of this experience. There are good breeders out there who care what they're breeding. They produce sound dogs who are a true joy to live with. I seriously hope that at some point you get to experience that.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #36 (permalink)

I do appreciate your guys help over the past 10 months, and will definitely take your advice into consideration,Odin was a joy with the family, he was loving caring, and so protective, he loved us, and we loved him just as much, but in no way could I ever see myself getting another dog, Odin will always be our dog, I broke into tears when we came to the decision of giving him up, our breeder even told us that she would be willing to give us another pup from her next litter, but I could never do that, I feel so sorry for Odin, and feel terrible that I'm about to put him through this, I'm just hoping that who ever I decide to give him to will give him the attention and love he deserves.
brandongill1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I hope you change your mind about never getting another dog. When my bitch and I finally parted ways, I said "no more shepherds". My family had been to hades and back with her. Years and years of attacks, attempted attacks, failed re-training, etc. Grim is the best shepherd I've ever had. I can't imagine life without him. I know your heart is breaking right now. I wouldn't get another dog from that breeder, either. Let time pass for you to heal before you decide no more dogs. Trust me, a well bred GSD is the best dog on earth.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

So another update:
The breeder will no longer be sending him to the breeder in Montreal, like you guys requested, instead she said she will try and re home him, so I've decided to
let the breeder try and find him a home, he will be neutered
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

That's probably best. Are you going to have the neuter done before he goes back to the breeder? I'd be worried that she won't follow through with that... but in the end it's her responsibility from start to finish.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

The only thing that I am worried about now is that no one takes him, I felt comfortable with montreal because I knew for sure he would be going somewhere, the last thing I want for him is to be stuck at the breeders,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.