German Shepherds Forum banner

What should I do? puppy agression?

5K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  brandongill1 
#1 ·
Hi guys me again, so I am completely at a loss for words right now with Odin, with our family he's the perfect dog, calm, relaxed, and extremely loving, but with strangers he just pulls a complete 180, in the 10 months that we have had him, he has attacked 3 people, has never bitten anyone, but has jumped on them snarling and barking, WE HAVE gone through 3 obedience classes with him, but he is just so fearful of people he's never met before, always on guard, and never really fully paying attention, I am just so worried that one day he's going to cross the line and bite someone, and we would have to put him down, our breeder told us that if we did ever have problems with him she would gladly take him back, which now half my family is considering, I don't know what I should do, and what would be fair to Odin, the last behaviourist that came in here suggested that we put him on prozac to help calm him down,

What are your guy's thoughts?

#36 ·
I do appreciate your guys help over the past 10 months, and will definitely take your advice into consideration,Odin was a joy with the family, he was loving caring, and so protective, he loved us, and we loved him just as much, but in no way could I ever see myself getting another dog, Odin will always be our dog, I broke into tears when we came to the decision of giving him up, our breeder even told us that she would be willing to give us another pup from her next litter, but I could never do that, I feel so sorry for Odin, and feel terrible that I'm about to put him through this, I'm just hoping that who ever I decide to give him to will give him the attention and love he deserves.

#37 ·
I hope you change your mind about never getting another dog. When my bitch and I finally parted ways, I said "no more shepherds". My family had been to hades and back with her. Years and years of attacks, attempted attacks, failed re-training, etc. Grim is the best shepherd I've ever had. I can't imagine life without him. I know your heart is breaking right now. I wouldn't get another dog from that breeder, either. Let time pass for you to heal before you decide no more dogs. Trust me, a well bred GSD is the best dog on earth.

#39 ·
That's probably best. Are you going to have the neuter done before he goes back to the breeder? I'd be worried that she won't follow through with that... but in the end it's her responsibility from start to finish.

#41 · (Edited)
Are you afraid that the breeder won't pay attention to him? What about holding onto him until she finds a place for him to go? What about your uncle? Have you tried contacting rescues or trainers who may be interested in taking him? Again, that puts you back into having to neuter him first (although a reputable rescue should be able to do that), but it would give you some peace of mind if you're unsure of the breeder taking him back.

#42 ·
say what you will about the breeders dogs, and how they were bred, but personality wise, I know she really does care for the breed, and really does love her dogs, I know he will not be neglected there, and will be safe, I'm just worried about him not being rehomed and just staying at the breeders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.