Question about a particularly aggressive bite from a 14 week old pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about a particularly aggressive bite from a 14 week old pup

This one!

We have taught him bit inhibition since he was 8 weeks old. He is normally VERY good at it. We say "easy" when he comes to bite and he doesn't bite hard.

He's teething now, and when he gets excited he sometimes forgets.

Last night he bit my girlfriend really hard, punctured her skin in three places, and scared her pretty bad. She was playing with him. He got really excited, and then she was ready to quit and stopped responding to him bringing the ball. He wasn't having it and insisted several times via nips that he wanted to continue. I've never scruffed and submitted him, but my emotions got the best of me this time unfortunately. While he still had her hand in his mouth I leaped from the couch and yelled "No" and scruffed him. He whelped and wasn't happy about it. In hindsight, I feel bad that I did that.

This particular bite was more an aggressive bite than an "I want to play" bite. He's just about 38-45 lbs now and 14 weeks roughly, so I'm concerned that if I don't show him that isn't acceptable with some force it will continue. When he is a 100 lb dog, which he's on track to be he will really hurt her.

**EDIT** He is also a singleton from a first time bred dame. Having no brothers and sisters probably doesn't help the biting, but he does VERY well with bite inhibition training. We practice it every second of the day. I've even bitten him back when he was a younger pup (10 weeks or so) and I play with him like a dog would. We're enrolling him in puppy training in two weeks at 16 weeks.

What do you guys think of this?

Thank you!

Last edited by ImJaxon; 01-22-2013 at 06:16 PM.
ImJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can only say that I've never used my hands to play with any puppy I've had. I've always used toys. I don't want the dog biting even if they are play bites, while we are playing.

I don't mind if the puppy (Lisl in this case) is mouthing my hands with slight pressure while we are just spending time petting or brushing her. She knows when it's too hard and I have to remind her with a little yelp, or saying 'no biting' firmly to her.

The easiest way to get hurt playing with a puppy is using your hands as another dog would use it's mouth and/or paws. An excited puppy and moving jaws with sharp puppy teeth is an accident waiting to happen, as you found out.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't do it.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't say at 14 weeks he was being "vicious' about it..As you said, he was getting amped up, and probably didn't like ending the "game" , so he latched on..
Teething can also 'hurt'.

I probably would have scruffed him myself, I would also start teaching a good 'leave it', he puts his mouth on a human, work on him 'leaving it'..redirect.

I think you mentioned he's doing really well otherwise, so I wouldn't worry about this incident to much (even tho it sounds like your GF got nailed good, puppy teeth are brutal)

He's a cutie by the way

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It was not an aggressive bite at that age. It was an I want to play bite, but the puppy is getting older and his jaws are getting stronger. Do not let him bite your hands if you can help it. Redirect to toys.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

That certainly wasn't an "aggressive bite"... just normal puppy play/teething. Yes, they can draw blood. Just keep on with the bite inhibition/redirection. Scruffing a dog is fine; he may act dramatic and cry but it really isn't painful.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I can only say that I've never used my hands to play with any puppy I've had. I've always used toys. I don't want the dog biting even if they are play bites, while we are playing.

I don't mind if the puppy (Lisl in this case) is mouthing my hands with slight pressure while we are just spending time petting or brushing her. She knows when it's too hard and I have to remind her with a little yelp, or saying 'no biting' firmly to her.

The easiest way to get hurt playing with a puppy is using your hands as another dog would use it's mouth and/or paws. An excited puppy and moving jaws with sharp puppy teeth is an accident waiting to happen, as you found out.

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just don't do it.
Hi, I'm sorry I should have been clear. She was playing with a toy. I never let him just bite us for fun.

She stopped trying to get him to drop the toy so she could throw it again, and he didn't want to stop.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I wouldn't say at 14 weeks he was being "vicious' about it..As you said, he was getting amped up, and probably didn't like ending the "game" , so he latched on..
Teething can also 'hurt'.

I probably would have scruffed him myself, I would also start teaching a good 'leave it', he puts his mouth on a human, work on him 'leaving it'..redirect.

I think you mentioned he's doing really well otherwise, so I wouldn't worry about this incident to much (even tho it sounds like your GF got nailed good, puppy teeth are brutal)

He's a cutie by the way
Yah, it scared us and we thought "Oh no, please don't carry thing to adulthood." But today we feel fine again.

Thank you all!!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please don't bite your puppy. You are not a dog. Your puppy is smart enough to know that. Use GENTLE or EASY to remind him that you want to keep your hands and fingers.

Scruffing him is ok to let him know he can't do that. But I would remove my hands from wherever he was trying to eat them. And if he went for my legs, I would scoop him up and dump him unceramoniously in his play area for a time and would ignore him for a bit. He needs to know that when he gets too rough, the game is over.

As for the GENTLE command, I use food, and start with it in my open hand and say GENTLE. Generally they will take it gently out of an open hand. Always remind him for now though. Make it harder, and put it in a cupped hand, make sure that he doesn't get it unless he is taking it gently. Good Gentle, Good boy.

Now is where you lose your fingers and put it in between your thumb and fore finger -- GENTLE. Good Gentle. When he is good at that, you can start using the gentle word with other stuff. Gentle with the baby. Gentle with my fingers.

It works for mine.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJaxon View Post
He wasn't having it and insisted several times via nips that he wanted to continue.
He would have been put away to calm down after the first or second nip before he had the opportunity to escalate.

Truthfully, I probably would have scruffed him too and then an immediate time out. The important thing is to keep your cool and calm so that he doesn't think you've lost your mind.

Glad to hear he is getting into a class soon. He should be given playtime with other STABLE pups that will help him learn proper inhibition.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You might want to find a puppet that you can utilize to play with your pup. The pup will focus on the toy and it'll be easier to control the play. You can still slip the puppet off and throw it, when your pup brings it back, slip it back on.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.