Advice on foster puppy, 7 months old, zero training. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Advice on foster puppy, 7 months old, zero training.

I work for a spay neuter clinic in the southern U.S. We deal with people every single day who are trying to "get rid" of their pets. Last week we neutered a 7 month old purebred GSD puppy. His owners seemed to be at the end of their rope with him. They had stuck him in the back yard and, I guess, expected him to grow in to a perfect dog with no training or socialization.

So yesterday morning I got a call from said owners, asking if I could help them find a home for their puppy ASAP as they had to get rid of him right away. Being a GSD lover, and afraid that the puppy would be handed off to some other inappropriate situation, I told her to bring him to the clinic. My BFF owns a licensed, non-profit rescue. She will adopt him out to an experienced, qualified home. I'm not worried about that part.

I am fostering the little (giant) guy for a few days or more, to kind of get him started on house-living and everything that goes along with it. He is EXTREME! This is the absolute worst puppy stage to try to find a home for. He's in full land shark mode, hyper, gigantic and has no leash manners. I have got my work cut out for me! I am, however, in LOVE with him. Sigh. It's not his fault that his owners were idiots. He means well, he gives kisses and when my two adult GSD's get too rough with him he runs and tries to fit his giant self into my lap.

All of the bite-inhibition, leash walking, manners should have been consistently taught along the way, but since they weren't I'm starting from scratch. So my question is: Any advice on quick ways to see progress so he can be adopted out?

Thanks in advance, and please pray that I don't add my name to the "foster failure" list!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Help with older puppy and new "owner"

There are some helpful links in this thread. Good luck!
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! Sorry, I should have seen that thread
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not a problem!
-and- on the web
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

I love your site, and your dogs are gorgeous! I'm in Georgia too (West of Atlanta) and have been to Columbus several times.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks! I need to update it.
If you come down this way and want to train, just let me know.
-and- on the web
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much, but I would be embarrassed for you to see my two lazy couch potatoes, They would think I had taken them to boot camp!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Not likely. But if you do , we could always walk the Riverwalk or grab a cup of coffee. Always like to meet GSD people!
(Mine are wallowing their muddy selves on the sofas right now)
-and- on the web
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

They always seem to find the mud, don't they? I will definitely take you up on your offer if I'm down that way again!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieGirl View Post
I am fostering the little (giant) guy for a few days or more, to kind of get him started on house-living and everything that goes along with it. He is EXTREME! This is the absolute worst puppy stage to try to find a home for. He's in full land shark mode, hyper, gigantic and has no leash manners. I have got my work cut out for me! I am, however, in LOVE with him. Sigh. It's not his fault that his owners were idiots. He means well, he gives kisses and when my two adult GSD's get too rough with him he runs and tries to fit his giant self into my lap.

All of the bite-inhibition, leash walking, manners should have been consistently taught along the way, but since they weren't I'm starting from scratch. So my question is: Any advice on quick ways to see progress so he can be adopted out?

Thanks in advance, and please pray that I don't add my name to the "foster failure" list!!!!
Thanks for fostering. I don't know that there is any quick way to see progress but having your older dogs should help. Especially with the bite inhibition.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.