Old dog not loving the new puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Old dog not loving the new puppy

We finally found a GSD puppy and picked him up yesterday. His name is Dexter, and he's 12 weeks old. Of course, he's just being a puppy, and I keep wondering what I was thinking. He's actually doing amazingly well to my surprise, he learned down and sit yesterday, cried for about 5 seconds when I put him in his crate last night and slept for 8 hours straight without waking up or having to go potty.

Here's my problem: I lost my beloved lab 2 weeks ago, and it's still tough for me. What I didn't consider is that Lola, my Maltese/Pekingese mix would HATE the new puppy. We introduced them before we picked him up, but as soon as we brought him home, she started going berserk. She's constantly growling at him, toy and food guarding, etc. The poor guy can't even look at her without her growling at him. I'm really confused. When my lab was still around, they used to eat and drink out of the same bowl, sleep together and they were just best buddies. Now she wants to bite my little boys head off. My friend has a fully grown female GSD and her dog is scared of Lola. In a pathetic way.

We initially wanted to wait a little longer before getting a new puppy, since we're still devastated by the loss of our dog. But my little girl just seemed so depressed without him, that we figured the sooner we got a new friend for her the sooner she would recover. Boy, were we wrong. I do not know what to do at this point. I don't want Dexter to be disturbed because she just keeps growling at him. Lola is very attached to me, and now it seems that she's jealous because Dexter is attached to my hip and has been since I met him. What do I do?
Sitz&Platz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

How long have you had Dexter for?
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

We picked him up last night. So not even a full day. He's so wonderful and smart, but I'm just afraid that Lola will "damage" him with her sudden aggression.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

It's still very early days, so don't worry yet. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for the older dog to come around.

I worried that Juno was gonna have a freaker with Bowser when we brought him home just over a month ago. But every day they improved, and within a week they had worked out their little peking order and get along really really well.

One thing I will say, is just make sure you supervise them together. Don't allow the puppy to come and take your other dogs food or toys. Expect there to be a few scraps and yips and yaps and snaps.

How old is Lola?

Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Lola is 5. I'm confused about what to do now. I work only 3 days per week for 8 hours. The initial plan was to teach him how to use the doggie door (we started yesterday, and he was getting a hang of it), so that we could keep them in the garage together while we go to work. Now, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I was supposed to be off this week, but I have to go in, because we're short at work. Do I leave them in there together, or do I fence off a section for Dexter? I really wanted him to be able to go outside to potty, since he's learning to potty train quickly.

We were thinking about paying someone to come in to take him outside, but I really don't trust people with my dogs.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, quick update on my puppy issues emotional roller coaster ride. There hasn't been any growling since my post and Lola has allowed Dexter to sniff her and she's been sniffing him. Dexter has taught himself how to use the doggie door while I was cleaning the garage. And he alerts me when he wants to go outside to potty. I don't think I will have to teach him to heel, since he's always walking right beside me. Geez, am I just lucky or are all GSD so freaking smart?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

GSDs are really smart. My 9 week old is picking up things really fast as well. He's already alerting to go potty and sleeping 7 hours at night without accidents. But they can also get a little defiance when they become more comfortable, so be sure to stay consistent and firm, even though he's an awesome puppy

The older dog in my house didnt like the puppy in the beginning either. He actually bit him, so we've had to be very careful. He seems more comfortable now, but he randomly gets territorial over things so we cant quite let them together until puppy is a bit bigger.

Be patient with your older dog...but again firm. She is not the boss, you are.

Congrats on the puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitz&Platz View Post
Ok, quick update on my puppy issues emotional roller coaster ride. There hasn't been any growling since my post and Lola has allowed Dexter to sniff her and she's been sniffing him. Dexter has taught himself how to use the doggie door while I was cleaning the garage. And he alerts me when he wants to go outside to potty. I don't think I will have to teach him to heel, since he's always walking right beside me. Geez, am I just lucky or are all GSD so freaking smart?
CurvyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Lola is 5. I'm confused about what to do now. I work only 3 days per week for 8 hours. The initial plan was to teach him how to use the doggie door (we started yesterday, and he was getting a hang of it), so that we could keep them in the garage together while we go to work. Now, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. I was supposed to be off this week, but I have to go in, because we're short at work. Do I leave them in there together, or do I fence off a section for Dexter? I really wanted him to be able to go outside to potty, since he's learning to potty train quickly.

We were thinking about paying someone to come in to take him outside, but I really don't trust people with my dogs.
I wouldn't leave the two dogs on their own in the garage together for the day - at least not right now. The longest I've left our puppy unattended with our female GSD (who has ended up being really really good with him), is about 30 minutes, and that's usually with me or someone in the family being nearby to check on them.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
I'm confused about what to do now. I work only 3 days per week for 8 hours. The initial plan was to teach him how to use the doggie door (we started yesterday, and he was getting a hang of it), so that we could keep them in the garage together while we go to work. Now, I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
I would personally not do that, at least for a few months, and maybe not ever. I do have a garage pen that my dogs go into when we're gone, but I kept them separate until I knew they fine together, and Halo was bigger. Keefer is 80 pounds and when we got Halo at 10 weeks old she was only 14 pounds - he could have easily hurt her without intending to because she was so much smaller. It won't be long before Dexter is much bigger than Lola, and if they don't have a perfect relationship there is potential for him to harm her while playing due to the size difference, or if she snarks at him and he decides he doesn't like that.

With two GSDs, my dogs were getting closer in size to each other over time, with your dogs that size difference will be increasing over time. It was also clear from pretty early on that Halo could hold her own with Keef (she was still a little thing when my husband turned to me and said "when she's bigger she's going to kick his ass" ), and that he would back down if she told him off.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, guys. I don't think it helps that Lola has really never been around small dogs, so she thinks she's the size of a Rottweiler and twice as ferocious. :-) Dexter is responding pretty well and tries to ignore her when she growls. Then 20 minutes later his butt is up in the air inviting her to play. But they were out in the yard playing earlier without any arguments.

When I got Lola, she weighed 4 pounds and Sammy weighed 100. He adopted her right away and was so gentle with her, I never thought about not leaving them together. This is going to be a little tougher, but I suspect that she's a bit jealous, because he just wants to be right beside me wherever I go. I move, he moves. I reposition myself on the couch and he looks at me like "where are you going"? Does that get better? I don't remember any of my dogs being so fixated on my every move even as puppies. Or is that a GSD trait?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm new to owning a GSD obviously and even after raising 2 dogs from puppyhood, I feel like I've never done this before. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.