Old dog not loving the new puppy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

The following is a GSD trait. I've never experienced it before either because Kylie is our first GSD. She makes me feel so guilty any time I move because she gets up and moves to be near me.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Hello! I've no advice but can share my experience.

Earlier last year, I brought in a 9 wks old female GSD into my home that already has a 9lbs male peke mix, so somewhat similar to your scenario. Same thing - peke hated the puppy to the bones the first couple days. 2nd week, peke stopped acting shocked and was normal himself but would avoid the puppy. The puppy just wanted the peke to play with her. Over the next few months, the peke began to accept the puppy, would let the puppy lie next to him but still showed disdain. Fast forward to today, they are best buds! They play all the time. The GSD has resource guarding issues around outside dogs but will not guard with the peke. The peke will go and lean next to the GSD. They would huddle together when scared about something. They both have full house privilege when I'm gone and they would both go to the same room together till I'm home.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks, Bear! I feel a but better today. We took Dexter to the vet yesterday and when we returned, Lola couldn't have been happier!? The happiness lasted for an hour and then it was back to growling.

My husband had enough and moved both crates into the garage last night and closed the door. We have security cameras in the house, so we sat upstairs and watched them. While I was certainly not a happy camper when he decided to do that, it took them about an hour until they each went into their respective crates and chewed on their toys. There hasn't been any undeserved growling at Dexter all day today. They're certainly not best friends so far, but at least she's not trying to eat him. :-)
Sitz&Platz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

We had a similar time when we brought home Toby (GSD) to meet Lucy, our 5 year old Rotty mix...she wasn't all together too pleased, but after a couple of months, she's become very protective of him, and him protective of her - it's actually very sweet to watch

I second everyone who says not to leave them unsupervised for any period of time, unless there is some sort of divide or barrier between the two of them. Your older dog is still acclimating to an entirely new "beast" in the house, and especially while the puppy is learning the ground rules, what is okay, what is not okay, and what Lola's triggers are, better to be safe than sorry. Additionally, it is unfair to let the puppy enter her personal space when she is not receptive to him doing that...everything sort of has to be on her terms for the time being.

Give it some time, and before you know it, they'll be sleeping on the same bed, and drinking from the same bowl
footshooter5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

What a difference a few days can make. I'm happy to report that the two are apparently best friends now. They are playing together all the time. One of their favorite things to do is to play tug with their toys. No growling, barking, yelping - life is beautiful without constant sound effects. :-) Sometimes I still step in when I consider their play too "rough", but I'm not sure if that's just my very subjective human view of the situation? I don't like when he mouths her, because I always see the future version of grown up Dexter swallowing poor Lola. She bites right back or sits on his face, which is funny to see.

They both show and alternate submissive behavior during play and offer each other toys. It's really cute to see them together, especially since Lola has become so much more playful since they became friends. Should I just let them "rough" play as long as I hear no yelping or growling?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

I would imagine that Lola is suffering from a bit of shock. She lost her buddy...and now this...this....energetic puppy, of all things, shows up.

It is my understanding that GSDs are Velcro puppies. In my opinion (for what it's worth), Velcro is a breed perk.
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitz&Platz View Post

They both show and alternate submissive behavior during play and offer each other toys. It's really cute to see them together, especially since Lola has become so much more playful since they became friends. Should I just let them "rough" play as long as I hear no yelping or growling?
My guess is that in the beginning Lola was confused, then she figured the pup wasn't going anywhere, then she was going to show him who the boss is. Even though she is smaller she will be in charge. GSD's play rough(I freak out when mine plays with smaller dogs) but they don't back down and play right back. My oldest girl wasn't to sure about the GSD when I brought her home...in fact I think she was praying it was only temporary She was never mean with her, but she didn't go out of her way to play with her. If there will ever be a fight in my house it will be the older girl and the GSD, but the GSD respects the older dog and allows her to remain in the top spot. They play quite often and I think its because the GSD never gave up on getting the older girl to like her. The GSD always tries to engage her in play and the older one will cave in. Supervise them and make sure that he isn't hurting her and enjoy both of your dogs
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Llombardo, I think you're absolutely right with your assessment. She probably thought Dex was just visiting. I was concerned about her because she's so little, until I saw them in the yard this morning. Lola had grabbed Dexter by the side of his neck and was walking/dragging him towards the door like a captured criminal. And Dex looked just pityful and guilty. Not sure what he did, but Lola apparently took care of him.

They're actually really sweet together now. Here's a picture of them playing:

Old dog not loving the new puppy-image.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.