Car sick!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Car sick!!!!

I want to know if your GSD has grew out of car sickness, mine is 17 weeks old been on a drive to and from somewhere about 8 times. He vomits huge huge piles all over and in my car speaker!! Please let me know any secrets!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Titansmom25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Car sick puppy

Hope some of that info helps.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine out grew it. She would get sick most of time. She started getting over it at about 1 year if I remember correctly. No real tricks, just time and her getting use to it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Adia loves the car, she cant wait to get in, we started just taking her everywhere we went from about 10 weeks, 2min ride to the shops and back or any short journeys, she cried at first and was sick once but nothing since, now she treats it like a crate away from home

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jackev8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wolfie used to get very car sick. We have a summer home that is a 1 1/2 hour drive from us, and we travel up there a lot, so this was a huge problem for us. We tried not feeding Wolfie before the trip, stopping halfway to let him walk around, and ended up giving him car sick pills called Happy Traveler. They seemed to do the trick. He did grow out of it. He hasn't been car sick in about a year and a half. He turned three years old last month.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been told dogs don't get motion sickness, that they get sick because they're scared. Take a trip down to the corner store or something, of you have one close. And make the entire trip just about getting a vanilla ice cream. If you don't have a store close, bring some ice cream but don't let her know its there or even drop it off down the street. You just want the whole trip to be about the ice cream, and for it to be a 3 or 5 minute drive. Get to where you're going, feed the ice cream and go straight home. She'll think that going in the car is to get ice cream and even if she never gets it again, she won't forget. I know it sounds crazy, haha but it worked for Sarge! I was told by a retired GSD breeder/show woman that I work with.
Hopefully it works for you!
-Kirsten
KSoloniewicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Start with short trips, dont give food before the trip, take frequent breaks. My dog used to puke within minutes, now at age 1 yr, he can go for atleast 30-40 min.
For longer trips, I give over the counter motion sickness pills for humans, quite inexpensive and useful.
guddu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

My mixed breed long haired GSD/Bernese Mtn Dog was car sick from 3 months old (when I got him) to about 5 months old. His ears were really big compared to the rest of him at 3 months old and the vet suspected that may have been the cause as ears affect balance/equilibrium. They prescribed a med called Cerenia which worked like a charm on Harley if given correctly. 1-2 tablets orally 2 hours before a car ride on an empty stomach. He eventually outgrew it and now loves car rides. Hope that helps.
Harley's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.