Is my GSD a coward? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my GSD a coward?

Hey,
My GSD is about 9 m/o now. Basically she doesnt seem to be afraid of anything that much, but when she meet other dogs they sometimes freak out because she's very 'hyperactive' and they bark at her or trying to attack her. As I said, she's hyperactive so they can really try, but it bothers me that she's not responding, it's not that she's getting scared and hiding behind me, she's just running in loops and freaking the poor dog out.
A little kind-of-Pinscher barked at her the other day, because she freaked him out again, and she really just ran away.
Sometimes she responds and barks back, the other dog usually shuts up because she's getting nervous and sounds agressive (so cute ) but it doesnt happens that much.

So, is she a coward? Or is it just because she's still very young?
Just to be clear, i dont want her to be agressive and attack other dogs, but dont want her to be a coward either.
erikz0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have a young dog that clearly needs training to learn how to behave appropriately around other dogs. Her behavior can and very likely will get her into trouble down the road if she's not taught to control herself. She's a large girl who from the sound of things is bouncy and hyper and a little crazy. Smaller dogs and other adult dogs get snappy and mean with dogs who dont behave properly in doggie language. The puppy pass has worn off (months ago) and other dogs are viewing your dogs behavior as rude, because it is. Your dog sounds like she has some trouble reading dog body language which is another thing that is going to get her in trouble if you dont teach her some boundaries on behavior around other dogs. She's young yet and other dogs lunging and barking and showing poor manners themselves is probably sending her the wrong signal of "I want to play" instead of "hey psycho, chill out!"

Start teaching your dog appropriate manners and how to behave calmly around other dogs. Its also about her safety and the safety of others.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

your dog needs lots of training and socializing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
your dog needs lots of training and socializing.
I agree with doggiedad - we have an 11 month old female that we have been working with constantly. She is still a work in progress some days She needs us to keep up with getting her out and socializing her so she can mind her manners around other dogs.

Nita is out weekly with other dogs, but we really need to get her out 2 or 3 times each week.

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your dog sounds like my little girl up until about 6 mo (she was 3 mo when I got her). She was OH so excited any time she got to play with other dogs! The best way to teach proper dog behavior is to find a dog park with seasoned dog park dogs and take her there OFTEN. Don't settle for a park with a bunch of inappropriate dogs because that will only teach her to be inappropriate too. When you find a good bunch, let them deal with her. I know that might sound scary or intimidating, but after she gets ignored or scolded by them for behaving inappropriately, she will learn. Just don't interfere when another dog is teaching her how to behave. Let them scold her (as long as she isn't on the ground screaming) and she will learn very quickly how the dog world works. Just don't try to jump in because that will only teach her that she can behave like that with no consequences and she will continue.

+ 3 mares, a siamese/bengal girl, and a rosehair tarantula lady
GerMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just keep working with her and taking her out where there are other dogs and people. I was mortified a couple days ago when I took Jaeger to Petsmart to get him a toy and he walked in and began barking at each strange dog he saw. He's only six months old and I think he is trying very hard to figure out how to act around dogs and people he doesn't know, so he alternates between being waggy and pleasingly friendly and then using his loudest bark to tell the world he's a tough guy. We decided he needs to get out more, lol. It's been really cold and we haven't taken him out and about much.

I do think between six months and a year pups struggle to figure out things socially, and it's our job to help them.

I'm trying to figure out how to make Jaeger understand that he's supposed to be a quiet and well-mannered tough guy. The pug and the French bulldog he barked at just looked at him like he was an idiot.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerMutt View Post
Your dog sounds like my little girl up until about 6 mo (she was 3 mo when I got her). She was OH so excited any time she got to play with other dogs! The best way to teach proper dog behavior is to find a dog park with seasoned dog park dogs and take her there OFTEN. Don't settle for a park with a bunch of inappropriate dogs because that will only teach her to be inappropriate too. When you find a good bunch, let them deal with her. I know that might sound scary or intimidating, but after she gets ignored or scolded by them for behaving inappropriately, she will learn. Just don't interfere when another dog is teaching her how to behave. Let them scold her (as long as she isn't on the ground screaming) and she will learn very quickly how the dog world works. Just don't try to jump in because that will only teach her that she can behave like that with no consequences and she will continue.
Great advice. Be aware, though, that some young dogs scream even if another dog doesn't touch them. Jaeger is a complete baby when our old alpha female scolds him and you'd think she killed him when I KNOW she didn't even touch him. He worships her, and sleeps next to her, and its the end of the world when she yells at him.

Well, for a minute, anyway.
Muneraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muneraven View Post
Great advice. Be aware, though, that some young dogs scream even if another dog doesn't touch them. Jaeger is a complete baby when our old alpha female scolds him and you'd think she killed him when I KNOW she didn't even touch him. He worships her, and sleeps next to her, and its the end of the world when she yells at him.

Well, for a minute, anyway.

Hahaha! Great point, fellow Minnesotan! Dogs are so funny that way! I know when Dellah was younger she would cry when nothing was all that serious. I mostly left it alone because I wanted her to learn to stand up for herself and to toughen up. It worked because she is now a model dog at the park (and it's not just me saying that!). I also realized that people fuel their dogs with their own energy. So, by not making a big deal out her fussing, she gave up and started playing with the other dogs.

Isn't it also interesting how when they learn to play rough with other dogs that they can get bitten, scratched, and flattened by their opponent...and then when their human accidentally steps on their paw with a bare foot...the sirens wail!!! Man, I love dogs!

+ 3 mares, a siamese/bengal girl, and a rosehair tarantula lady
GerMutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.