I've run out of ideas . . . - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've run out of ideas . . .

I've tried everything I can think of. My 13 week old puppy has stuffed animals, chew toys, balls, tugging ropes, problem solving/get the treat out toys and yet none can keep her attention for more than 5 minutes. I take her out for walks multiple times a day and try to tire her put as much as I can and yet she still manages to have all the energy in the world to get into trouble and mess things up.
Is there anything else I can try to keep her busy?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
YOitsMaple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, she IS a puppy and they really do have a very short attention span.

If you can't entertain her - crate her. That keeps her out of mischief. Get her a puppy sized Kong, load it with Peanut Butter and freeze it for an hour or so before you put her and it in her crate.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Set up puppy/dog play dates! Where are you located? My neighbor's puppy loves playing with my shepherd. They would run and run and wrestle (or more like the puppy wrestle and my dog acting motherly). You can also join dog meet up groups in your area. Those play dates tire dogs out very very well.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When my Mother visited me a couple of weeks ago after Lisl arrived she commented that she though I had a child in my home since there were toys strung out all over everywhere in the house.

I suggest that you keep her busy throughout the day using the toys to play with her rather than rely on the toys to do that for you.

Play with your dog, talk to your dog, and develop a relationship with your dog.

My appologies if you are doing that.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with the above. Seriously, she's a pup! They're obnoxious and have the attention span of a gnat. I think most people can't keep up with most dogs--from experience, even very calm sedentary dogs quickly adapt to working for 10 hours a day--a lot quicker than the people involved do. And it's just like a parent chasing after a child--you know that kid is going to have way more energy than the parent does.

Puppy play dates are great because other dogs wear your dog out. Otherwise, I think the best thing to do with puppies is just do your best and wait for them to outgrow it...just like babies and toddlers.

But you do also have to factor in the time. I devote at least 2 hours a day to my adult GSD, and would expect to spend a lot more than that (though perhaps more broken up and spaced throughout the day) with a pup. And that's the bare minimum. GSDs are a high-maintenance breed, and puppies of any breed are high-maintenance, so...
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-10-2013 at 07:08 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

she can only get in trouble when you're not
watching her or when she's not crated.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

the best things to do with a puppy is start training and socializing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I agree with the above. Seriously, she's a pup! They're obnoxious and have the attention span of a gnat. I think most people can't keep up with most dogs--from experience, even very calm sedentary dogs quickly adapt to working for 10 hours a day--a lot quicker than the people involved do. And it's just like a parent chasing after a child--you know that kid is going to have way more energy than the parent does.

Puppy play dates are great because other dogs wear your dog out. Otherwise,

>>>> I think the best thing to do with puppies is just do your best and wait for them to outgrow it..<<<<

.just like babies and toddlers.

But you do also have to factor in the time. I devote at least 2 hours a day to my adult GSD, and would expect to spend a lot more than that (though perhaps more broken up and spaced throughout the day) with a pup. And that's the bare minimum. GSDs are a high-maintenance breed, and puppies of any breed are high-maintenance, so...
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

give her all her meals by hand.
use a clicker.

when she comes click and half a second later give her a small handful of mositened food.

continue this for a week.

once she understands the click means food is coming, she will come at feeding time.

next, make her look into your eyes for a few seconds before making the click and giving her food.

as she begins to understand what you want, make her focus longer and longer before clicking the click and the food.

in 2 weeks she will be able to focus on you....
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm addressing the "tire her out" portion in my reply. A previous puppy I had, I had to get on my bike and pedal it around the yard and let him chase me. Large yard, maybe for about 7-8 minutes. I'm past the age of jogging around my yard, so had to use the mountain bike.
Siegfried o.d. Guntersee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 9 week old...actually almost 10 week old pup and I laugh when I read things that say pups that age should have 20-40 minutes of good activity with you a day. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA 20 minutes my toosh. More like hours.

He has TONS AND TONS of energy. We have to play with a flirt pole. Then walk around the block a few times. Then run and chase in the back yard. Then take a short nap and play with all the different toys. Then he runs around and follows me, attacking my feet while I try to do, ya know, normal stuff like go to the bathroom and eat. Then we do some training. Then we play with the flirt pole again...well you get the idea.

When I really have to get something done, he has to be crated, because otherwise he gets into trouble. I think that you're just experiencing very normal puppy life. Best to try and be patient, give as much attention as you can and be thankful when he's a bit older and can do something like run along side a bike to help wear him out.

I do notice that when my puppy is at his craziest, he's often mentally under stimulated. This is when I stop what I'm doing, pull out some treats and work on tricks and stimulate him mentally. These dogs are really smart and need as much mental activity as physical. Even a few minutes of teaching and training will help satisfy him. How much are you training him? Is he in puppy class? Does he have other dog friends? All these things can help.

Also, you can try leashing him to your waist while you do household chores. giving treats and praise when he follows without pulling and sits ever time you stop walking. He's also old enough to get a very small pack and put a chew toy or something in it. He cannot really carry much weight yet, but having a pack will help "work" him and give him something to do while following you during the day.
CurvyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.