Puppy is acting out against my husband - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

You haven't even had this puppy for a week! This is your first puppy, right? He is away from his mom and litter mates. New surroundings, new people. He hasn't had enough time to even know who to trust. I think the trainer can help you correctly interpret what is going on. Just work on everyone building a relationship with the pup. What you're seeing are coincidences. This pup isn't 'singling out' your husband. Maybe he hasn't peed on your clothes because they aren't on the floor. Or maybe you're paying attention at the time, and your husband isn't. You're kind of putting the cart before the horse. Don't worry about down the road, because your puppy is just being a normal puppy. Please discuss these things with the trainer, so he can give you more information on this to ease your mind.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
deliberate actions against Nick,
Oh my. This is not what's happening at all.
The puppy is barely old enough to be away from mama, he's not plotting against your husband and he's not out to overthrow the world
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

9 weeks is young. I do not think this is a dominance thing, or even necessarily a willful disobedience thing. At 9 weeks, I don't think much is willful, you know?

How long have you had this pup, by the way? At 9 weeks, I wouldn't expect you to have had him for more than a week at the most. If that's the case, he may still be adjusting. If you've had him longer, then he was likely separated from his mother/litter too early and you may be dealing with some remedial socialization. Assuming you have only had him a week though...

There's no way he's housebroken. No. Way. There is nothing deliberate in his actions and I suspect the differences you are seeing is your management vs. your husband's, not anything personal.

edit: I also think that if your husband is "intimidating" and "overbearing," and stressed on top of it, you may very well be seeing submissive urination that just doesn't fit the paradigm you're used to, because this is a 9-week-old puppy who doesn't even know what submission is! If you had a 9-month-old baby who squalled and threw fits when your husband held him but loved you, would you call the baby willful? Or would you think that maybe he's just being a baby and something in your (as in, the family's) management or your husband's demeanor is upsetting him? Same thing here.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-09-2013 at 02:31 AM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Sure hope you're right

Im not terribly worried yet, as he is so young. Just want to make sure and handle any potential problems early.

I hope you guys are right, but I'm still keeping an eye out. He never soils his crate at night, and when he's with me he always runs to the back door when he has to go. So it does seem a little strange, and yes deliberate, when my husband is around and he pees right on his clothes are runs away from him to pee/poo somewhere he's not supposed to. And runs away when trying to do tricks with him. And growls at him when disciplined etc... by Nick.

I brought up that my husband is overbearing, because it did seem possible to me that puppy is reacting to that. You're right, its not submission pee in the context that I'm used to. Especially since sometimes it's poop. But I do think it could just be a clash with his personality and perhaps a submission or fear thing. Thought of course I dont want him to feel afraid of my husband

Also...I never said I thought he was trying to overthrow the world. But I do think he's acting out against my husband. I completely believe its our fault...not the puppy's. But sorry, I see the dog and what he's doing. Its very specific to Nick and never to or with me.

This is my first GSD puppy but no this is not my first puppy. I've lived with pups and dogs my whole life.
CurvyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Here's what I would do with the puppy.
I would pen up the puppy or somehow restrict his access to the entire house, which may be tough since apparently he now has full access?

To housetrain, it's easier when the puppy has less access, so he's not going potty willy nilly all over. He is not housetrained yet, and he's piddling/pooing possibly because, as mentioned, your husband may intimidate him while you don't.

Anyway, use an x-pen or gates, crate the puppy at night, and whenever he is not supervised.
When you open the crate, pick up the puppy and carry him to the potty spot outside. Don't expect him to walk to the door then out it, he won't make it.
When you're up and around but too busy to 100% supervise the puppy, he's either tethered to you or your husband, or in the x-pen or crate.

Once you start doing that, things are liable to improve on the housetraining front.
I agree with others, it's not the puppy's fault or plotting against hubby, it's the husband's demeanor most likely.

Quote:
runs away from him to pee/poo
He's not running away to deliberately pee/poo, he has to go but doesn't want to come to husband. Don't have husband call puppy, either, simply pick the puppy up and take him outside
Be sure your husband is rewarding afterward and having a "potty party" after puppy's done outside, "What a GOOD PUPPY!" in a higher pitched, happy voice. Many times men's voices are deep and booming and tend to frighten dogs. When he calls the puppy, have him do it too..."What a GOOD BOY, let's go outside!"

You know how humans instinctively use higher pitched voices to talk to babies? Well that's how your hubby ought to be talking to the puppy

Last edited by msvette2u; 01-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Might have something to do with your husband disciplining the puppy.
How is he disciplining a 9 week-old puppy and what for?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Firstly I want to thank all of you for your advice

I really appreciate that for the most part, everyone on this forum is respectful and genuinely seems to care about dogs and their well being.

I want to clear up what I said about my husband. He disciplines the puppy the same way that I do. He and I are very consistent people and we discussed this before even getting the puppy. I simply was wondering if perhaps the pup picked up on the fact that my husband is less sensitive than I am. He still gives the pup lots of love and attention but people seem to be intimidated by him, so I dont see why a pup couldnt be. Its like...his energy or some junk.

As for the defiance, I know its hard to believe, but many of his actions are deliberate. My vet took the time to observe Huter (puppy) and his behavior. She says I have a very smart, very strong willed dog who is developing quickly. She also says she's seen it before and its not a big deal as long as we are consistent and tackle it now. She said some breeds can show this type of behavior as early as 8 weeks. He is trying to lift his leg to pee, already humping things and yes, peeing specifically on my husbands things and not mine. He never has an accident with me, he sleeps all night without having and accident. He knows how to run to the back door to go potty etc... The vet agrees that he is being defiant and she's offered a few tips to help out.

I figured I will share the tips in case any one else finds their young puppy showing similar traits. She said that because my dog is so high energy and intelligent, his defiance may be excess mental and physical energy. So she suggested giving him A LOT more "work" to do. He should never get food for free. I should make him to tricks, or bring me things and his meals are given as a reward. She suggested he be leashed to either my husband or I during the day while we go about our business, even in the house. This way he gets used to looking to us for guidance and following. We can give him fun things to do as "work" while he's leashed to us. And he can earn "freedom" by being good. Its all to be made fun and game like. He doesnt need to be punished (which we never do anyway) but he needs more stimulation and stricter guidance.

She said that working breeds can in fact be potty trained this young. She witnessed first hand him running to room door and whining because he had to potty. He knows what he's doing.

Hope this can help someone out in the future. Thanks for everyone's opinions and advice
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

9 weeks old and have had him for 1 week - and he is already trained and bonded? Not very likely!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have to stick up for the OP on the potty training...I have met a handful of puppies that do pick it up extremely quickly. Sometimes it isn't 100% forever (as in, a period of stress or a change in environment might cause them to start eliminating indoors), but for all intents and purposes, they're house trained at home from a very early age. When I was a teen we got a 7-week-old Lab puppy who literally eliminated once in the house, was corrected then praised for going outside, and never went inside again until he developed an illness at age 6 that interfered with his bladder control and was euthanized shortly thereafter (not because of the bladder control issue, but because it was a fast-spreading cancer). I had an ACD pup in foster too that never eliminated in my home, and would let me know when he needed to go out, but then needed to be retrained in the home we placed him in (and that was very easy).
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
9 weeks old and have had him for 1 week - and he is already trained and bonded? Not very likely!
If I could I'd have you come to the house and see for yourself We've had him for 2 weeks. He was rescued at 7 weeks. He's absolutely bonded to me, and he's being amazingly consistent with the potty training.

He's an awesome puppy, and very smart and lovey. Stubborn and high energy, but wonderful.

Last edited by CurvyOne; 01-14-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.