Still very bitey? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Still very bitey?

Hey everyone. My dog Alfie is about seven months old now and he is still very bitey. I've read the many threads posted here on bite inhibition and we have been applying all the advice from those topics but he still bites. Everytime we want to pet him, or play with him, or anything, he'll bite like a baby pup would at the age of 10 weeks.

Will this phase end? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing (redirecting to toy, stopping all play,etc) or should I start doing things differently. I've never owned a dog before so I'm not sure and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone!
Shaftell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

He really should be improving by 7 months.. Try this.. Take one of his favorite treats and close it in your hand. Let him sniff your closed fist, as soon as he licks your hand open it so he gets the treat. Repeat this until he learns your hand is for something good like a treat rather than one of his favorite chew toys.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaftell View Post
Hey everyone. My dog Alfie is about seven months old now and he is still very bitey. I've read the many threads posted here on bite inhibition and we have been applying all the advice from those topics but he still bites. Everytime we want to pet him, or play with him, or anything, he'll bite like a baby pup would at the age of 10 weeks.

Will this phase end? Should I just keep doing what I'm doing (redirecting to toy, stopping all play,etc) or should I start doing things differently. I've never owned a dog before so I'm not sure and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone!
Are you or anyone in the family disciplining him with your hand?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
He really should be improving by 7 months.. Try this.. Take one of his favorite treats and close it in your hand. Let him sniff your closed fist, as soon as he licks your hand open it so he gets the treat. Repeat this until he learns your hand is for something good like a treat rather than one of his favorite chew toys.

We've tried that as well. He's currently enrolled in basic obedience class and our trainer suggested that. Not only that, we actually hand fed him all of his food for 2 months but still he's biting a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Are you or anyone in the family disciplining him with your hand?
If by hand you mean hitting him then no. The only thing we would do is maybe shake a finger at him when he's doing something bad.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Does the trainer of your obedience class say if he has any dominance issues?

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Does the trainer of your obedience class say if he has any dominance issues?
No she hasn't. The only thing she said was that when he was about 3-4 months old, he wasn't sure of the house boundaries so he pushed to see what he could get away with but she never said that he had dominance issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Schatzi was like that at 7 months, but by 8-9 she stopped. I just kept redirecting her or everytime she tried grabbing my hand I would give a firm NO and turn away from her for a bit then go back to normal. I thought she was going to be like that, but she got over that phase...
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I wonder what you guys think of my technique to stop these puppies biting hands etc. When they try to do it i put my hand into there mouth. I'll pretty much stuff my fist in there, to see if they really want to bite me. So far any pup I've done it to realizes they have bitten more than they can chew. I can see there expression change and they'll let go and not try it again with me.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I wonder what you guys think of my technique to stop these puppies biting hands etc. When they try to do it i put my hand into there mouth. I'll pretty much stuff my fist in there, to see if they really want to bite me. So far any pup I've done it to realizes they have bitten more than they can chew. I can see there expression change and they'll let go and not try it again with me.
My vet suggested to try that when he was a little baby but it never really worked. He looked at it like I was continuing to play with him and kept on biting.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's becoming increasingly frustrating. I can't even pet or hug my own dog because almost anytime I touch him my arm or hand or something ends up in his mouth. He doesn't even bite hard, he just mouths on me. I don't understand why this hasn't stopped, or at least died down a little. It's been like day one recently.

I'd appreciate any advice please. I don't know what else there is to do as I've tried everything in the puppy mouthing handbook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.