Kinda ticked me off... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kinda ticked me off...

So, I took my girl to the vet for the first time today for her second round of shots (first round was done with the breeder). She was fine when she was getting her shots, wanted to love on the vet tech, but she got a little anxious when I had to hold her to let him look in her ears and check her teeth. I mess with her mouth quite a bit...mainly because she always seems to have something she's not supposed to, so she's pretty used to having fingers in her mouth and I massage her gums when I think her teeth are bothering her...she, like every other shepherd pup is very mouthy in play. When the vet went to reach for her mouth, she snipped at him...no growl, no bark, no frustration...it was just like she does in play. He wasn't going to examine her teeth after that. He said I needed to get a handle on that and backed off. She's 12 weeks old!! 😒 Every member of my fam takes their dogs there and his prices are very reasonable for our area, considering he's one of two vets within 40 miles. Anyone else have issues with vets being freaked out their GSDs? I'm wondering if he would have reacted the same way if she would have been a pit...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Jovi_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL...tell him to stop being a sissy and if he's scared of puppies, maybe he should stick with guppies.

No issues with my GSD but did with our youngest boxer who growled at the vet after the tech came in, grabbed the leash out of my hand without saying a word and DRAGGED my dog across the room with a prong collar on. So a muzzle went on and the tech did not come back into the room...probably for her own safety...from me....

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When Hondo was about 6 months old, my vet went to check his teeth. He kept moving his head away from her. It was obvious he wasn't cool with her looking into his mouth. The vet allowed me to pull his gums back (etc.) so she could examine him. This clued me into the fact that I wasn't working with him well enough to allow a stranger to look into his mouth. I thought of it as a training opportunity.

I now teach all my dogs, "let me see!" I pull back their gums, open their mouth and look down their throat. All the while they have to remain stock still. Then they get a treat. Now when we go to the vet, I'll say, "Let me see!" and they allow the vet to examine them. With Hondo, I'll handle his mouth while the vet continues the exam. In fact, I practice NILIF and 'Let me see' is one of our easy treat earners. Sometimes I'll just lift the gums and give a treat.

My Lacy is a crack puppy. At his six month check up, the vet was attempting to examine him by manipulating his body. The Lacy kept mouthing him, attempting to engage in play. The vet commented that I need to get a better handle on the pup. Honestly, I was shocked and pleased that my Lacy wasn't attempting to climb up the vet's body and perch on his head. So I just said we are working on it and let it go. I know my dog. I didn't hold it against the vet, he didn't know my dog. His behavior at the time WAS a big leap in the right direction.

Point is, don't worry about what other people think of your pup. Even if it is your vet. His job is to keep your dog healthy, not provide OB classes.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your vet is a dummy. Puppies nip. I'd get a new vet over that.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
He said I needed to get a handle on that
Yes, you do.
Dogs should allow people to look in their mouths. Judges in the show ring MUST be able to look or the dog is dq'ed, especially if the dog attempts to bite the judge over it.

My dogs all let vets examine them, tip of nose to tail. Some fosters won't/don't and it's because nobody worked with them in that manner.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A little puppy nipping at a hand in their mouth? I've never had a puppy who didn't mouth and play, it's normal.

a DOG should let someone under a non-playful circumstance check their mouth without biting, a puppy on the other hand - everything is play for them. If you can't handle the landshark phase - aptly named - don't get a puppy.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
LOL...tell him to stop being a sissy and if he's scared of puppies, maybe he should stick with guppies.

No issues with my GSD but did with our youngest boxer who growled at the vet after the tech came in, grabbed the leash out of my hand without saying a word and DRAGGED my dog across the room with a prong collar on. So a muzzle went on and the tech did not come back into the room...probably for her own safety...from me....
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did not mean to write a nursery rhyme.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It could be he simply didn't want to get into a wrestling match with the dog, either.
I doubt he was "scared" or "freaked out", and I'm confused by the reference to pit bull.

Either way, any dog should tolerate being handled by the vet, or there's quite possibly going to be issues with them later on.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I did not mean to write a nursery rhyme.

Nonetheless...still was nice to have a chuckle...beats the heck out of...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.