German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Puppy Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/)
-   -   Kinda ticked me off... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/puppy-behavior/197588-kinda-ticked-me-off.html)

Jovi_Girl 01-03-2013 12:54 PM

Kinda ticked me off...

So, I took my girl to the vet for the first time today for her second round of shots (first round was done with the breeder). She was fine when she was getting her shots, wanted to love on the vet tech, but she got a little anxious when I had to hold her to let him look in her ears and check her teeth. I mess with her mouth quite a bit...mainly because she always seems to have something she's not supposed to, so she's pretty used to having fingers in her mouth and I massage her gums when I think her teeth are bothering her...she, like every other shepherd pup is very mouthy in play. When the vet went to reach for her mouth, she snipped at him...no growl, no bark, no frustration...it was just like she does in play. He wasn't going to examine her teeth after that. He said I needed to get a handle on that and backed off. She's 12 weeks old!! 😒 Every member of my fam takes their dogs there and his prices are very reasonable for our area, considering he's one of two vets within 40 miles. Anyone else have issues with vets being freaked out their GSDs? I'm wondering if he would have reacted the same way if she would have been a pit...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Jax08 01-03-2013 01:44 PM

LOL...tell him to stop being a sissy and if he's scared of puppies, maybe he should stick with guppies.

No issues with my GSD but did with our youngest boxer who growled at the vet after the tech came in, grabbed the leash out of my hand without saying a word and DRAGGED my dog across the room with a prong collar on. So a muzzle went on and the tech did not come back into the room...probably for her own safety...from me....

Lilie 01-03-2013 02:00 PM

When Hondo was about 6 months old, my vet went to check his teeth. He kept moving his head away from her. It was obvious he wasn't cool with her looking into his mouth. The vet allowed me to pull his gums back (etc.) so she could examine him. This clued me into the fact that I wasn't working with him well enough to allow a stranger to look into his mouth. I thought of it as a training opportunity.

I now teach all my dogs, "let me see!" I pull back their gums, open their mouth and look down their throat. All the while they have to remain stock still. Then they get a treat. Now when we go to the vet, I'll say, "Let me see!" and they allow the vet to examine them. With Hondo, I'll handle his mouth while the vet continues the exam. In fact, I practice NILIF and 'Let me see' is one of our easy treat earners. Sometimes I'll just lift the gums and give a treat.

My Lacy is a crack puppy. At his six month check up, the vet was attempting to examine him by manipulating his body. The Lacy kept mouthing him, attempting to engage in play. The vet commented that I need to get a better handle on the pup. Honestly, I was shocked and pleased that my Lacy wasn't attempting to climb up the vet's body and perch on his head. So I just said we are working on it and let it go. I know my dog. I didn't hold it against the vet, he didn't know my dog. His behavior at the time WAS a big leap in the right direction.

Point is, don't worry about what other people think of your pup. Even if it is your vet. His job is to keep your dog healthy, not provide OB classes.

APBTLove 01-03-2013 02:20 PM

Your vet is a dummy. Puppies nip. I'd get a new vet over that.

msvette2u 01-03-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

He said I needed to get a handle on that
Yes, you do.
Dogs should allow people to look in their mouths. Judges in the show ring MUST be able to look or the dog is dq'ed, especially if the dog attempts to bite the judge over it.

My dogs all let vets examine them, tip of nose to tail. Some fosters won't/don't and it's because nobody worked with them in that manner.

APBTLove 01-03-2013 02:33 PM

A little puppy nipping at a hand in their mouth? I've never had a puppy who didn't mouth and play, it's normal.

a DOG should let someone under a non-playful circumstance check their mouth without biting, a puppy on the other hand - everything is play for them. If you can't handle the landshark phase - aptly named - don't get a puppy.

GatorBytes 01-03-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2670409)
LOL...tell him to stop being a sissy and if he's scared of puppies, maybe he should stick with guppies.

No issues with my GSD but did with our youngest boxer who growled at the vet after the tech came in, grabbed the leash out of my hand without saying a word and DRAGGED my dog across the room with a prong collar on. So a muzzle went on and the tech did not come back into the room...probably for her own safety...from me....

:spittingcoffee:

Jax08 01-03-2013 02:38 PM

I did not mean to write a nursery rhyme.

msvette2u 01-03-2013 02:40 PM

It could be he simply didn't want to get into a wrestling match with the dog, either.
I doubt he was "scared" or "freaked out", and I'm confused by the reference to pit bull.

Either way, any dog should tolerate being handled by the vet, or there's quite possibly going to be issues with them later on.

GatorBytes 01-03-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2670452)
I did not mean to write a nursery rhyme.

:)Nonetheless...still was nice to have a chuckle:)...beats the heck out of...:nono: