Kinda ticked me off... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

it just seems like to me from personal exp. - guess that's where I get that impression
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #32 (permalink)

The vet tech should have known that puppies are very nippy, at least at 12 weeks old. I do agree that you should work with the pup so future vet visits are much easier for everyone concerned, however, this tech was a little out of line telling you that you should have a handle on a 12 week old puppy. Not everyone has total knowledge over what should be done when they first get a puppy.

When I brought my pup to the vet for her 2nd set of shots and asked to have her nails cut, Tess got a bit nippy and the vet tech asked me if it would be okay if they put a muzzle on her just so they could cut them. Of course I agreed and after that visit, I began working on clicker training Tess to letting me cut her nails. Now that your aware, you can work with your puppy to desensitize her to having fingers in her mouth.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ya know what, a lot of new owners of GSDs do not really realize how big and strong their pup is going to be in six or eight months. I don't have a problem with a vet saying something to the effect of nipping that in the bud, or getting a handle on that. The backing away and not completing an exam when it is a young pup would bother me more.

Also, kids and dogs are not the same. If you kid goes up to someone and bites them, maybe you can get sued. But the chances of that happening are pretty slim. If your GSD goes and bites someone the chances of getting sued are very real. It's comparing apples to oranges -- vet to resturant server. Why not vet to pediatritian. If a pediatrition in the privacy of their office said, "you need to get a handle on this behavior", you might not like it, but it can be appropriate.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

my Vet recommended bringing my puppy in
often for treats, petting, mock exams. i use to
take my pup to the Vet 2 or 3 times a week.
the Vet or a member of the staff would pet my
pup, run their hands all over him, rub him with
the stethescope, etc. i use to take him in the back
and weigh him and put him on the exam table
and make it go up and down.

i don't think a Vet should be worried about a
12 week old dog not matter what breed it is.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

the Vet didn't view her snip as an innocent snip or playful
nip. i'm thinking he thought she tried to bite him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovi_Girl View Post

When the vet went to reach for her mouth, she snipped at him...no growl, no bark, no frustration...it was just like she does in play. He wasn't going to examine her teeth after that. He said I needed to get a handle on that and backed off. She's 12 weeks old!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

And if a dog snaps the moment you reach for it, forcing it is only going to get worse.
How's the vet supposed to know it's not going to get worse, the more he tries to force the pup to be examined?
IMO it's entirely appropriate to let the owner know it's a problem.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Ya know what, a lot of new owners of GSDs do not really realize how big and strong their pup is going to be in six or eight months. I don't have a problem with a vet saying something to the effect of nipping that in the bud, or getting a handle on that. The backing away and not completing an exam when it is a young pup would bother me more.

Also, kids and dogs are not the same. If you kid goes up to someone and bites them, maybe you can get sued. But the chances of that happening are pretty slim. If your GSD goes and bites someone the chances of getting sued are very real. It's comparing apples to oranges -- vet to resturant server. Why not vet to pediatritian. If a pediatrition in the privacy of their office said, "you need to get a handle on this behavior", you might not like it, but it can be appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
My interpretation is, the OP is a paying "customer" and took offence to being condescended to by the buisness owner who is taking her money.

If you went out to a restaurant and your kids were restless and the server commented that you should have more control - there would be ____ to pay, you'de be all over the manager for that and expecting the meal comped...

Further, if the vet is going to admonish an owner for a 12 week old puppy and doesn't show patience, kindness and respect to them...then how can you trust in future your vet will take your concerns seriously when the dog is ill or you don't agree w/certain treatment...I think this vet will just script and usher out the door...I think a new vet is in order.IMO

My interpretation is based on customer service and the comparison was of a "status" value...a vet may have gone to med school, so that gives him the right to put his hands up in the air and tell you what is not acceptable in his opinion...it is still a business

If a server did that - you'de have them fired, if a rest. owner did it, you wouldn't go back and might even post a negative critique on urban spoon or the like...even though the risks are comparable such as hooligan's screaming and upsetting other patrons, or dumping crap all over the table and floor, or running around, bumping into to servers carrying hot coffee, soup, plates of food...worse, the kids are a threat to themselves - and I spent 15 yrs in the rest. industry, I have seen everything (almost)

so, as I said, my feeling would be that I am paying for this service, treat with respect and give me what I am paying for
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

That's because the parent of a toddler isn't going to injure someone if it's being a brat. AND if it is going to injure someone (running around tables for instance, being in people's way) then it's well within the restaurant owner's rights and responsibilities to say "get the child under control".

If this owner goes back and the dog bites someone, injuring them, they could be out of work.
Or they just will start muzzling. Or refuse to see the dog (depending on the severity of the behavior).
And, getting puppy's behavior under control should be taking place anyway.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
might even post a negative critique on urban spoon or the like.
LOL And what's that going to look like...? "My child was screaming at the top of his lungs, disturbing other patrons and the waitress was SO RUDE, she asked me to get my child under control!"

Most patrons would applaud and visit that restaurant the next time they go out to eat!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
My interpretation is based on customer service and the comparison was of a "status" value...a vet may have gone to med school, so that gives him the right to put his hands up in the air and tell you what is not acceptable in his opinion...it is still a business

If a server did that - you'de have them fired, if a rest. owner did it, you wouldn't go back and might even post a negative critique on urban spoon or the like...even though the risks are comparable such as hooligan's screaming and upsetting other patrons, or dumping crap all over the table and floor, or running around, bumping into to servers carrying hot coffee, soup, plates of food...worse, the kids are a threat to themselves - and I spent 15 yrs in the rest. industry, I have seen everything (almost)

so, as I said, my feeling would be that I am paying for this service, treat with respect and give me what I am paying for
So does this mean that if you are paying for a service then don't tell me things that may offend me or things i don't want to hear??
What about a person who has a fat dog. The owner doesn't think he is fat when in actual fact he is obese......can a vet no longer tell a client that his dog is fat and needs to be fed less in fear of offending or upsetting the client??
Yes a vet clinic is a business but it is a lot more than that. It is a business which deals with life and death situations and ranges of emotions that very few other businesses have to deal with......it is not quite as black and white as "the customer is always right".
It is no where near the same as a restaurant type situation IMO.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.