Teaching what's off limits - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you keep at it letting the pup know its wrong. It does get better and they stop doing it. Jonas used to love to grab the bath towels in the bathroom and run like a crazy pup through the house with it. So I put them out of reach, and he no longer is interested in them. You just have to make something else interesting to them. I think you are doing a fine job...You know what your doing.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Debbie, Your Halo pictures are awesome. Gotta love a well armed GSD. LOL!
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
Cassidy's Mom -- your pictures and stories made me giggle. Knives? Holy cow! That picture is priceless, definitely a mixed bag of reactions LOL
Yeah, she's a bad girl! That was the 3rd and last time she got ahold of a knife. We KNOW food can't be left out (well, my husband has had to learn that lesson the hard way a couple of times, lol) but it never even occurred to me she'd steal a knife.

The first time it happened we were going to an afternoon garden party at my sister's house, and I'd cut up a variety of cheeses and arranged them on a platter with cherry tomatoes and olives. I was going to run to the bathroom before we left, and even though I was only going to be out of the kitchen for a minute, I put the tray in the fridge. Obviously, I left the knife on the counter.

Imagine my surprise when I'd just sat down and Halo casually strolls into the room with my 12" long butcher knife in her mouth - seemingly quite pleased with herself, I might add! I'd spent SO much time when she was younger working on trading games with her that I guess it didn't occur to her not to bring me the knife she'd just stolen. In my head I'm thinking OMG, OMG, OMG, put I planted a smile on my face and told her what a good girl she was for bringing me a present. I got it from her without incident and vowed to be better about leaving knives out. Fortunately, she was carrying it like in the picture, by the handle and with the blade pointed away.

The second time it happened Tom had cut up some fruit from the farmer's market and left the paring knife on the counter. Neither one of us thought she'd be attracted by fruit the way she was by cheese......until I see her walking towards me with it pointed straight out - she almost poked me in the thigh with it before I grabbed her!

The last time I happened to have my camera laying on the breakfast table, and when I walked into the living room she was laying on the floor with the knife, chewing the handle. As soon as she saw me she got up and started to leave, which is when I quickly grabbed my camera and got off a couple of shots before getting the knife away from her. No harm done to herself, no holes in my nice leather couch, and injuries to humans, cats, or Keefer. This time it was a surprise because it was nearly a year after the last time, and we had gotten more casual with stuff in the kitchen (not food though!) because she'd been good for so long. I guess this was her secondary knife stealing phase, lol! I was glad to get a picture because it's one of those things you have to see to believe.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Debbie, Your Halo pictures are awesome. Gotta love a well armed GSD. LOL!
Halo is pretty darned awesome - she has certainly been an adventure and is always entertaining!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post

Cassidy was our worst chewer, she literally couldn't be left alone for 5 minutes or she'd have destroyed something - she ate one of my orchids while I was at work and my husband was on the phone in the office, she chewed a hole in our blanket and ripped up our quilt, (again, in mere minutes), she even took down the slippers I'd put on the bathroom counter before I got in the shower, and chewed those up before I got out and caught her. She even had a secondary chewing phase that occurred months after she had improved to the point where we didn't have to watch her every single minute, and chewed a quarter sized hole in the edge of my favorite rug. I rolled up the rug, and it spent the next year on top of the bookcase because I wanted to make COMPLETELY sure she wouldn't ruin it further. But even she eventually outgrew the chewing.
Tess is very similar to Cassidy and also our worst chewer to date. The corners of our coffee table are gone, pretty soon it will look like a cutting board. My dear husband literally gave up on trying to stop her and just let her chew away so she wouldn't chew on him... I refuse to get a new one until she grows out of this chewing stage. She literally tore the top part of my UGG boots right off the soles in seconds, her jaws and teeth are that strong, and toilet paper, she ran out a whole roll one day in a matter of seconds with our entire hallway and living room being strung up like a welcome home party in toilet paper. She even jumped up to the dish strainer and grabbed a knife, proceeding to run around the house with it in her mouth. The joys of puppy-hood! We try to be diligent about keeping things up and doors closed, plus I am working on "leave it" with her and she's doing a lot better now, but does have a ways to go.

I do think it's important to try to set boundaries and I am working with Tess on this issue night and day. We love her to death and just can't bring ourselves to ever get mad at her or even stern. I just say no and try to work harder on redirecting the behavior and letting her know what is okay and what isn't. Hopefully that little light will go on soon and we'll be over this hump.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Cassidy's Mom.....I tried to edit my post to say that our Tess is similar to Halo, but was not allowed to do so, due to the time I took to edit the post. My sincere apologies.
Linda1270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)

No worries - Cassidy was our worst chewer, she was pretty indiscriminate about what she chewed, but she did finally outgrow it after a year and a half or two years. She killed a lot of stuff during that time though! We bought our first indestructible ball, and indestructible bed (Kuranda) for Cassidy - she was a one dog wrecking ball of destruction. Halo just happens to be our most enduring and creative chewer, lol! She's always been more about the challenge, chewing things laying on the floor is just too easy for her, so it's not as fun.

Fortunately, none of our dogs has ever been a furniture chewer, but we also don't leave them loose in the house when we're gone either. My sister has a chair that her cats like to scratch, no matter how many scratching posts she provides. It looks hideous but she's afraid to get rid of it because they might start in on a different piece of furniture instead. She refers to it as the "sacrificial chair", which your story about the coffee table reminds me of - you have your own piece of sacrificial furniture!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That picture with the knife is hilarious. Scary but hilarious
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Oh, I had this same issue over the holidays! My kids all came home, and even though we went over the 'rules'... apparently there were too many or something. I had people yelling at Grim for taking their shoes (which were left all over the house) or getting into their stuff (they didn't close the bedroom door) and I had a near fatal FIT when someone left the half door to the basement open! (The stairs are dangerous for humans, and a dog could easily break its neck trying to go down them!) I also couldn't stand them yelling his name every 10 seconds! We're down to just my daughter (who is a bit better about this) until she goes back to college in a few days. Nothing more frustrating than keeping your pup out of things and safe, then having someone in who leaves something out and blames YOU for a pup being a typical pup. Did you offer to pay for her boots?

Those pics of Halo are priceless!!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

I agree that you can't expect a puppy not to chew tempting things. 9 months old is still very young--I'd liken it to toddler stage with kids. Would you expect a 2-3 year old child to not occasionally grab things he isn't supposed to if he's left unsupervised? I doubt it!

Kids and puppies are still exploring their worlds, and puppies unfortunately do much of it with their teeth. Your friend's boots were new and probably full of interesting smells and textures and that's a lot of temptation for a baby to resist!

I think you have a good attitude. I've had the most success with just giving them plenty of appropriate things to chew on (and encouraging them to/rewarding them for doing so), and waiting for them to grow up. If I catch a dog with something inappropriate, I take it away with a gentle correction and then give them something appropriate to replace it.

And yeah, some dogs will always be problems. One of mine is a trash raider too, and there's really not much to do about it except keep the temptation away. He "knows" not to do it and won't when we're home...but when we're gone so there's no consequence to it and that trash can is just full of tempting smells, he'll get into it. Dogs are creatures of impulse to a large degree, and getting into tempting things when people aren't around will always be more rewarding to some. That's the wonderful thing about crate training.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.