5 months old male GSD Skeptic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5 months old male GSD Skeptic

Hello, i was wondering about my little friend, when i picked him up at the breeder he seemed very confident and not afraid of humans, incl, me and my girlfriend, but after a few days he began to show signs of uncertainty among humans and bigger dogs ( of course)

he is not pointing his tail between his legs or anything, just very shy, wolf behaviour at some points.

He is a calm and relaxed boy who is sleeping among strangers and eating his food,

Is this just typical for a dog in his age? the breed is good and he have good parents
Stian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is your puppy? Around ten weeks of age, some pups will go through what is termed a "fear period". This simply means that they suddenly start to notice things that could be dangerous; other animals, strange people, loud noises, etc. It's part of their survival instinct; a little ten week old puppy would be very vulnerable to predators and dangerous situations in the wild, so nature gives them the sense to fear these things and stay away.

However, most well-bred, well-socialized puppies grow out of this phase as they learn that these things won't hurt them. It is your duty to take the puppy with you as much as possible to get him used to new sights, sounds, people, places, and animals. Make sure his experiences are positive and fun, and don't push him too hard. Let him approach and investigate scary things on his own and give him lots of praise and encouragement.

Do you have pictures of your puppy? We like pictures!

Edited to add: I just now saw the title of your post, that the puppy is 5 months old. How long have you had him? Has he always been skeptical?

Last edited by Freestep; 12-31-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Freestep, you need to start slowly socializing him. Since your boy is 5 months old already he hasn't had the exposure to things that we normally would have exposed to a younger (8-12) week old pup.
You also mentioned in your other thread that he was living outside with his brothers and sisters? I think that you have not had him very long and he needs time to adjust to living inside and to being exposed to different things.
It takes time, but you will get there with him, just take it slow and don't rush into things with him. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for reply, he where not skeptic when i picked him up at breeder. we socialize a little bit every day , he is starting to get better already i was very afraid that i got a nervous dog but off course he is just a big puppy and its new for him to allow to go inside
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
How old is your puppy? Around ten weeks of age, some pups will go through what is termed a "fear period". This simply means that they suddenly start to notice things that could be dangerous; other animals, strange people, loud noises, etc. It's part of their survival instinct; a little ten week old puppy would be very vulnerable to predators and dangerous situations in the wild, so nature gives them the sense to fear these things and stay away.

However, most well-bred, well-socialized puppies grow out of this phase as they learn that these things won't hurt them. It is your duty to take the puppy with you as much as possible to get him used to new sights, sounds, people, places, and animals. Make sure his experiences are positive and fun, and don't push him too hard. Let him approach and investigate scary things on his own and give him lots of praise and encouragement.

Do you have pictures of your puppy? We like pictures!

Edited to add: I just now saw the title of your post, that the puppy is 5 months old. How long have you had him? Has he always been skeptical?

he is a big boy
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

OMG what a cutie!! Yes you want to socolize him as much as possible take him everywhere! I adopted a 3yr old who was beaten, neglected, and not socialized and it is certainly not fun dealing with a fearful/aggressive 3yr old.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillint1 View Post
OMG what a cutie!! Yes you want to socolize him as much as possible take him everywhere! I adopted a 3yr old who was beaten, neglected, and not socialized and it is certainly not fun dealing with a fearful/aggressive 3yr old.
its terrible what people is capable to do with their dogs

he`s not afraid or scared, he is just not used to many new people. he is getting better already !
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

You can always bring nice small treats along with you and ask strangers to give them to your puppy.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cute picture...He looks a little plump...Does he get to run and
play a lot outside?

Taking him for walks and meeting and smelling new things will help him.
Plus the more exercise the better he will be..Both for his mind and body.

He is a very good looking boy. Good luck!
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Beautiful pup! It could be that he is simply aloof, and doesn't care about strangers. If he is not nervous or afraid, but doesn't care to meet new people, that is okay--the GSD is supposed to be aloof with strangers, and loyal to his owner. Still a good idea to get him out and socialize, just so he gets used to daily life and meeting all different kinds of people and situations. He doesn't have to run up and lick everyone like a Golden Retriever, but he should be accepting and neutral toward friendly strangers.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.