drinking water question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default drinking water question

So Saber is 8weeks old we picked him up last Wednesday, i feed him 3x a day and water at all 3 times...when he does not have water he will run (FAST) to find water, the older dogs bowl, so we have to catch him, then while outside he will search for water there as well, near hose, rain bucket, dew and he is insane with it, needs it!!!! so whe we let him outside as soon as he drinks about 10min or so he pees, then we bring him back inside and he piddles more here and there little piddles....we take his water up at 6pm to me thats too early but even when we do, he is still peeing all night, in his crate where is the water coming from even thought its being taken off the floor at 6...i dont get it....i thought oh no diabetes cause thats frequent urination and he has bad puppy breath...but i read they usually dont get that till they are an adult if anything, then i thought bladder infection but he doesnt whine when peeing, its making it harder to potty train and i dont know what to do....
scnj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Mine used to ask me to go out and I would be so happy, then she would go eat the snow(her source of water) There bladders are very tiny at this age and water goes right through them. As the pup gets older and bigger the bladder will too. If it seems to you that there is a problem, then have the pup checked for a UTI.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

my pup had excess to water all day. i took the water bowl
away around 7:00 pm. i took my pup out often and i learned
his signals for when he needed to go. over night i took my
pup out every 2 hours. make sure there's no medical issue
going on with your pup. has your pup visited the Vet for his
after purchase check up?

when my pup wasn't crated i took him out every 15 minutes.
every 15 minutes became every 1/2 hour, every 1/2 hour became
every 45 minutes and so on. 11 days and 10 accidents later my
pup was potty trained. i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old.

Last edited by doggiedad; 12-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pups that young need to go a lot. Their tiny little bladders can't hold it for long. Taking him out every half hour wouldn't be too often at this age. Eventually he will grow and be able to hold it all night. By 3 months mine could wait all night.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

BTW, make sure there isn't a bladder/kidney infection if you are concerned it's freakishly too much and need to get to the vet to be sure.

I also take my puppies out constantly during the day. Pretty much everytime I think about it, out we go and that may be every hours or more. The more they go outdoors the more opportunities to praise and have a puppy party so the faster they learn and get housebroken.

I leave water out during the day, but also pull it around 7 pm so the crate training has a chance. It seems that as long as I set the alarm clock for around 2 am then scoop up the pup and run outdoors, they pee and we can return until morning. Course the first thing I do when I wake in the morning is another scoop and run to get them outdoors ASAP. More time I futz around before getting up the more chance I'll have a puddle to clean up in the crate.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

what are you feeding and how much water are you offering .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

We are taking him out every 15 min, after a meal/water or play he will pee alot when outside, but then 5 min later in the house he piddles more...
I bought Nutro Naturals thinks thats what it is, and we give him a small amt of water with it 3x a day the rest of the day with water is sneaking it
Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

a dry kibble will require the dog to drink more -- maybe that "small amount" just is not enough and he is partly dehydrated signally him to drink more at once to restore his fluid requirements ?

This being mildly or very dehydrated may cause the bad breath because he needs fluids to eliminate waste product .

"Dehydration is another cause of bad breath that can be easily solved. The decrease in saliva production to combat the dehydration can cause an increase in odorous bacterial build-up " --
"Dogs that have problems with excessive thirst also have polyuria, which is the need to urinate often. Never hold back water to make a dog urinate less. This could cause dehydration and serious problems such as severe kidney failure. Take your dog out often during the day and right before bedtime to accommodate him. When you recognize an abnormal increase in your pets drinking habits, observe your dog for a day or so to see if it is a temporary condition brought on by exercise or heat. Contact your veterinarian if you don't see your dog returning to his normal drinking routine. Controlling or eliminating a disease is a possibility if caught early enough. Treating the underlying cause can eliminate polydipsia.

Read more: The Causes for Excessive Thirst in Dogs | eHow.com The Causes for Excessive Thirst in Dogs | eHow.com

See what happens when you moisten the food AND provide water for a few days in a large container and let him drink to satiate his need. You could get him some pedialyte (electrolyte water) because this is more easily absorbed .

See if he levels out in his craziness to find water from other sources .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

some pups or adult dogs who are withheld water will become obsessed with it, the more its withheld the more they want it. i had a pup like that, i put numerous water bowls in and outside my house and kept them filled. yes its nuts, but the more water around the more the pup realized she didnt have to constantly drain the water bowl when she was thirsty or not (basically i used reverse psychology) with puppies growing you shouldnt withhold water, i know its a pain for housebreaking, but the more water that is around the more the pup wont be obsessed with it over time... even now my 2 adult dogs have 3 5 quart water bowls filled 24/7. they eat kibble, and only drink when they need to. with alot of water bowls around none of them are obsessed with water. any pup i bring in i do the same thing and just deal with taking them out more for potty breaks and do more cleanups
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, this makes sense...my older GS always has water, just thought with the pup i had to hold back cause of potty training, been 10yrs since we have done this...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.