Eating own poop - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eating own poop

Our almost 4mo old eats his poop. It's only when he poops inside but not when he goes outside. The Vet gave us something called For-Bid. I used it this AM and now he has diarrhea. Anyone else ever use this?
pedirn308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have never used it. Good luck though.... very icky habit for them to get into.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

what do you mean he eats his poop when he poops inside?
i take it he's not house trained? how often are you taking
your dog outside? where are you when he's poop eating?
he can only eat his poop when he's inside when you aren't
watching him. if you take him out more often maybe he wouldn't
poop inside.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is very common amongst dogs.. I have read quite a bit & Kaiser does it too.. So I try to clear the poop as soon as possible.. Keep a paper under him when he's pooping & quickly pick it up once he's done.. He's only 7.5 weeks old now hence I can't take him out on the road to poop so he does it on the terrace of my bldg.. He doesn't do it at home though.. I don't know about For-Bid but I think u can try adding pineapple to his meal.. I heard that makes it taste bad.. Don't know, haven't tried.. I just clear the poop away asap!
ankittanna87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

review the entire diet

got up to do some reading -- must be "silly" because on reading this I laughed out loud

"Thank you for choosing For-Bid™ Coprophagia Deterrent. For-Bid™ is a purified protein feed for animals that is intended to stop stool eating. When ingested, For-Bid™ travels through the gastrointestinal tract and imparts an unappetizing taste to stool. Upon tasting the stool, the animal will notice the unpleasantness and should discard it. As this association is reinforced, the stool eating should cease.

For-Bid™ is not an enzyme mixture and does not alter the normal digestive process of the animal. For-Bid™ is made with high quality ingredients that have been shown to be generally recognized as safe by the the U.S. Food and Drug Administration"

sodium glutamate is your basic MSG -- a food taste enhancer .

maybe the dog is missing something in the diet -
in any case a 4 month old should be gong outside

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

All you can do is be there when your dog poops and be ready to pick it up immediately. Raina will try to eat hers if she gets a chance. She got in the habit of looking for cat poop in the yard so in the morning I scan the entire back yard area and scoop up any cat poop from the previous night before she goes out. I stay outside with her and follow her around to pick up her poop before she gets a chance to eat it. I tried the pineapple route but then she wouldn't eat her food if it had the pineapple touching it. I thought eventually she would out grow the habit but now she is four years old and would still eat it if she had a chance. You should be working on housebreaking and training the pup to go outside all the time, not inside ever.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks...and for those thinking I'm not taking him out enough I am...about every 2 hours. He is close to being housetrained however we have only had him for 2 weeks. It is a rare occasion that we do not catch him inside but when he does have an accident he likes to eat it. THank you for your suggestions....I will try the pineapple if this continues since his system doesn't seem to like the for-bid.
pedirn308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm dealing the same thing, my Delilah ALWAYS do this. Yes, cleaning the poop immediately is only my solution..is this normal for them..?
I try to watch her secretly and wait for her to poop, and when I see her try to eat it I will go out quickly with a high voice NO..and come to her and again talk to her NO while I'm pointing in her poop.. But until now she keep doing it.

I read one time poor feeding cause this..but for me I keep her meals on time..
Anymore advice please?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Umm Mohamed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

It doesn't have to do with time frame or regimen of feeding, but the food being offered. I had a pica dog, but once I changed his food to a high quality grain free food, he quit. You might review your food choices. it can be caused by some dietary need that isn't being met.

Also sometimes it's a habit they started as young puppies. More closely monitoring is probably called for.
Galathiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Over the years I've heard a spoonful of canned pumpkin recommended, but I've also heard mixed results on whether it works. I'd give it a try, as it's natural, nutritious and may already be in your pantry (dogs like the taste of it too). (By "canned pumpkin" I mean plain pumpkin as the only ingredient, not canned sweetened pie filling!)
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.