Dog goes after a dog on a leash? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog goes after a dog on a leash?

I have an 8 month old who has been in training since he was 9 weeks. He has a high prey drive - moving cars especially. Have worked with a trainer and have gone from fur saver to prong to e collar. Have had great success with e collar but tonight he didn't respond when called. It was dark and we were out for a potty break when he saw a couple walking their dog on leash. I don't know what set my dog off but when I called him and said no then gave a correction he started back toward me but turned and went after their dog who is trained to lay down. I was mortified when my dog did this and he was corrected and brought under control but I am just sick about it. What makes the GSD go after a dog on leash? And yes, my dog has lost all privledges and will be back on leash for the forseeable future.
blueoctgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What makes the GSD go after a dog on leash is prey drive. Your dog must always be on a leash if you live in an urban or suburban area -- and nearly all have leash laws. It's very irresponsible to risk putting other people's pets in danger. Please make peace with the fact that your dog must be leashed--not just for the foreseeable future, but always.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh, I feel for you - yes, I've been there, done that, and now back to on leash. And really, once I accepted that no way would my Sting have a rock solid recall, the pressure was off. I really enjoy the walks more and so does Sting. I do have a large fenced in backyard for off leash and I do play lots of fetch/tug with him, so he can have an outlet for that prey drive.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

My dogs loved chasing/catching soccer balls! We have a large fenced back yard they'd run round the shed all over! We did throw frisbe for them but they loved it for us to kick the soccer ball for them better! We always keep them on a leash, kind of like not leaving stuff in you car, don't want to put temptation there!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoctgal View Post
I have an 8 month old who has been in training since he was 9 weeks. He has a high prey drive - moving cars especially. Have worked with a trainer and have gone from fur saver to prong to e collar. Have had great success with e collar but tonight he didn't respond when called. It was dark and we were out for a potty break when he saw a couple walking their dog on leash. I don't know what set my dog off but when I called him and said no then gave a correction he started back toward me but turned and went after their dog who is trained to lay down. I was mortified when my dog did this and he was corrected and brought under control but I am just sick about it. What makes the GSD go after a dog on leash? And yes, my dog has lost all privledges and will be back on leash for the forseeable future.

A dog that "lost all his privledges"? Did you explain it to him?
(sorry, couldn't resist!)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not 100% sure if chasing cars is a prey drive thing. I think of prey as small, something to be eaten, I don't believe any dog out there thinks they're going to eat a car.

Not sure what your method is with the ecollar, or why you believe an 8 month old dog needs to be in an area like that off-leash. It's clear that the smallest of things still overwhelm your dog and he's not at a level of obedience that he can be trusted around distractions. It's also alarming that you have an aggressive dog that you allow off-leash knowing that there is a chance of other dogs being in the area.

Your dog could care less that the other dog is on a leash. It actually makes that dog an easier target since that dog can't get away. It's the same reason why some dogs are leash aggressive...they are in fear because they know that flight is not an option so the only other option is fight. You really need to not rush your dog, get him back on a regular leash and work on LAT and getting obedience extremely reliable.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I'm not 100% sure if chasing cars is a prey drive thing. I think of prey as small, something to be eaten, I don't believe any dog out there thinks they're going to eat a car.

Not sure what your method is with the ecollar, or why you believe an 8 month old dog needs to be in an area like that off-leash. It's clear that the smallest of things still overwhelm your dog and he's not at a level of obedience that he can be trusted around distractions. It's also alarming that you have an aggressive dog that you allow off-leash knowing that there is a chance of other dogs being in the area.

Your dog could care less that the other dog is on a leash. It actually makes that dog an easier target since that dog can't get away. It's the same reason why some dogs are leash aggressive...they are in fear because they know that flight is not an option so the only other option is fight. You really need to not rush your dog, get him back on a regular leash and work on LAT and getting obedience extremely reliable.
Please tell me what LAT means. I appreciate your candor with me - when I got Teddy I began obedience training as within a week and envisioned him at 8 months and wanted to have a dog who was a responsive, obedient dog. I have worked really hard to that goal and he has been very responsive to the e collar with recall and leave it..he gets lots of exercise and play time to run off the energy but your comment about having an aggressive dog has me scared. I specifically worked with my trainer - who has worked at Lackland AFB with military GSD's - with that as the primary focus - to be able to control any agression. We love this dog but my sense is he does not respect me and without that all bets are off for a well behaved GSD Time to invest in ME's training videos and get back to square one.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your dog is being that ... a dog.

I agree with martemchick ... I don't think the dog sees cars as prey ...

The dog is 8 months ... a puppy. I don't know very many dogs that are so highly trained at 8 months that they can be off leash in that kind of area. And even then, there's always a chance ... it's a dog.

If you want to keep practicising the recall off leash, go somewhere SAFE ... open fields, etc. And there is REAL prey there (birds, squirrels) that will really test you and your dog ... and it will help you realize if your dog really has high prey drive, or just likes to chase something because it's moving.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

He has been great with recall at the beach - even with lots of distraction that's why it just got me that he kept going last night and at such a good, submissive - therapy in training young dog! My trainer told me to use the e collar faithfully for 4 months before going without it. We are 2 months into it - hopefully the next 2 will be even better. Yeah he's an 8moth old puppybut I am an irresponsible woman and feel so low about it.

Last edited by blueoctgal; 12-29-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoctgal View Post
He has been great with recall at the beach - even with lots of distraction that's why it just got me that he kept going last night and at such a good, submissive - therapy in training young dog! My trainer told me to use the e collar faithfully for 4 months before going without it. We are 2 months into it - hopefully the next 2 will be even better. Yeah he's an 8moth old puppybut I am an irresponsible woman and feel so low about it.
No you are not irresponsible for this one time - like I said - I've been there. Now if it continues and happens again, you will be. So of course you feel bad, I did do. Use those bad feelings to learn and prevent it from happening again. Dogs have different natures - some won't leave your side, others (well, like mine) will take off. Some people have trouble accepting that especially if they had had dogs in the past that were trustworthy off leash. They spend a lot of money on training and even give the dog up. That's how I got my Aussie. He was not trustworthy off leash - his previous owner shipped him out (no trainers in this area) for expensive training - the trainer used an e-collar with no success - he finally told her he had never met such a stubborn dog. So finally when the dog was 4 yrs old, she decided to find another home for him. He was the best dog for me. The leash is safest and you are obeying any leash laws. Work on other things with your dog and enjoy him. My advice, is not to make a big issue of this and beat yourself up about it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.