suggestions on teaching? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default suggestions on teaching?

Ok, Hero has been out of training for almost 2 months. This is because of Hurricane Sandy and I think it is really negatively effecting how he acts. He would possibly be classified as a rude puppy or maybe just a puppy being a puppy. There are some new issues that had NEVER been a problem before and now out of nowhere I can't stop! So my issues are as follows:

Counter surfing (I know this is a phase, I am getting the mouse traps and cans this week)

Always play time! This one is a new thing, if he is not in his crate, he wants to play no matter what you are doing! He will bring his toy to you and literally throw it at you if you refuse to attempt to pull it out of his mouth. This is fun when its play time but all the time is not playtime! I have tried ignoring him and he just kinda throws a tantrum where he keeps bringing the toy throwing it at you and barking.

He doesnt realize his size compared to the kids. He is a bit rough with my 5 year old to the point where my kid is getting scared from all the playing and mouthing.

Mouthing is at an all time high. We do the toy replacement, and tugs and treats and all that. He just seems to not gotten out of this yet.

King of the jungle! The second we step outside (he is leashed because our yard is not fenced) He barks maniacally to let EVERYONE know that the king is outside. He also barks at ANYONE who walks by! He gets the mohawk fur down his back but isnt showing teeth or anything like that. This is a huge problem for me because we no longer can take him to pet stores without him being a jerk to EVERYONE and it is stunting the socialization. I leash tug, step in front and tell him enough, get him in a sit and block his view but he is a determined little butt.

Lap dog! He does not realize that at 62 pounds he is NOT a friggen lap dog! lol I blame my wife for letting him on the couch when he was a pup!

oportunistic food thief! Godforbid one of the kids is walking around the house with a pop tart, donut, bagel or ANYTHING he thinks he should have! because with lightning speed he will snatch and gobble the whole darn thing before I can bellow out his name!

I don't understand how he can have gotten so far off track! I take him to the ball field and run him for an hour each day, plus all the playing we do in the house, plus 2 walks a day! He eats well and is house broken(even rings jingle bells to let us know its potty time or he just feels like being outside) I want to get his recall, obedience, and social skills way up so that he isnt such a jerk to EVERYONE! I know this will take a ton of training and hard work but I think I just needed to rant for it for a bit! I ma sure I am not the only one who has this problem and surely he will grow out of it with time and training. I knew what I was getting myself into with a GSD but I didn't think he would be so stubborn! Any info, suggestions, critics, or flames are welcome!! Input is info, info is knowledge and knowledge is power!! READING RAINBOWWWWWWWWWWW ok im done!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I almost hate to ask... but exactly WHAT are you planning to do with the mouse traps?? Once again, you have a normal GSD. Not having class doesn't mean you don't continue with the things learned in the class. It sounds like he's got some fear issues with the raised hair all down his back. Are you still socializing him? Stealing food from kids (they're like 'low hanging fruit' to a pup!) isn't abnormal either. I'd advise you to tell your kids to eat at the table. That's what they're there for, right? So you get a 2-for there because you'll eliminate food being all over your house AND the pup won't be able to just snatch it from them. When you've got a pup that can counter-surf, you need to move everything back. Teach the word 'off' so you have something to work on to stop the counter surfing. You can also work on 'leave it' and teach it to your kids, too. Then you can have the kids with more control over the pup, and hopefully less stealing from them. Young kids are often wary of GSD pups, with good reason. They tend to have a lot of energy, they are landsharks, and they don't seem to realize they've gotten bigger when they grow so fast.

As many others have also said, most behavioral issues are actually "user errors" on OUR part. Pups have to be taught everything. So when things like this start happening, we have to adjust what we do, how we do it, and spend more time training and making sure the pup's physical and mental needs are met. A tired puppy is a good puppy! One more thing. The mouthing being at an all time high isn't surprising, because now your pup is teething.

Last edited by Jag; 12-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Jag! Uhh he has all of his grown up teeth in as far as I can tell so would he still be considered teething? My 5 year old ALWAYS eats at the table, my 1 year old diva sometimes roams with a cracker in hand. mind you she is at mouth level. It is true he doesn't realize how big he got, he is simply playing with my son but doesn't realize he is being too rough. I figure most of his behaviours are due to my suckyness as a trainer. I am working with him but he surely isn't getting the full attention he deserves. This is part of my new years resolution! Thanks for taking the time to post!

Oh and the mouse tras I was told you set them but place em upside down on the counter so when he surfs it snaps and jumps and scares him off the counter... is this a bad idea?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Hmm.. Grim is in his 5th month, and it still teething, so I thought yours would still be getting some molars in as well. I can tell you that my 2 year old Pug still chews on nylabones and steals Grim's antlers like she's still teething, and I know better. Maybe he's just bored or an avid chewer then? All my shepherds have been 'mouthy' their whole lives. Something about the breed. So your pup is taking their food from the table? Right now, we still crate Grim at mealtimes so we can eat without having to watch him, but my previous shepherds weren't allowed to mill around the table at mealtimes. They had to go in the living room and lay down. Maybe start training him to a 'place' (bed, blanket, etc. on the floor) to go to when anyone's at the table. Our dogs growing up would literally make a quick exit from the kitchen when the table was being set. My dad was VERY strict about no dogs in the room while we were eating. My youngest used to have his food snatched, too. (He also thought he was a diva, and would 'wander off' with his food!) A sharp "NO!" and "go lay down" solved the problem with time and consistency. Your pup is entering a tough time. When it's about time to start corrections if they do something they 'know' is off limits, and finding creative ways to teach them what isn't OK...but doesn't really have a word to it. I'm about to enter that 'zone'...again...so I feel your pain.

I haven't heard of doing that with mouse traps, and I've cured every dog I've had of counter surfing. The issue, I think, is during puppy hood I wouldn't want anything that could cause them to become reactive. In my mind, I'm seeing a dog that stands and barks at your counters for X months-years because there's something 'scary' up there. The other issue would be if the mouse trap actually managed to get him. I had one 'trainer' tell me to put mouse traps in my cats' litter box (and keep the cats away) so when he stuck his head in, it would be the last time. It sounded like a BAD idea, so I didn't do it, and that was the last time I spoke with that 'trainer'. You know your dog. I know that Grim will exact revenge on whatever has surprised him or pissed him off. He'd be barking and biting at my counters forever if I did that. Right now the only time he puts his feet up on the counter is when I'm getting his canned food ready and I'm being too slow. Right now, it's a teachable moment for the word 'off'. "Leave it" is also in the works. Possibly the 2 best commands, ever.
You can also work on "mine". This can be used to claim anything that the pup/dog isn't allowed to take or mess with. You can use food on the counter for this, too. I may have put too much together, but it went like this... dog jumps on counter... I have a plate or bowl with 'my' food on it. "NO. MINE. Leave it." If the dog gets off the counter and leaves the food, praise. Show him something that is his. "Hero's. Take it" Praise. Anything and everything on the counter is "yours". It's not a quick fix, but it DOES work. My dad went so far as to put his plate on the floor and our dog wouldn't go near it. Of course, he trained with a LOT of compulsion. It could have been trained differently, but that was then I guess. If you're not still tethering at this point, you may want to at least have him drag a lead so you can grab him before he helps himself to your kid's food. Kids and pups can be frustrating together, but they both grow up, and with training all the way around it will get better. I promise! Don't discount yourself as a trainer. We all have to learn, and the learning never stops. We all slack off from time to time. You and I have the same new goals... to get back on top of our pups and training/exercise. I haven't been doing too much for training because I didn't want to have to go back and undo what wasn't right (I plan to title Grim)....so I'm THRILLED that his classes will start early January! They turn into little monsters when their mind isn't being challenged! For now, just try to keep all foods off the counters or pushed back. Then have your daily or twice daily training sessions for staying off the counters when there is something good there, and teach him what "mine" means. I think you'll be as happy with the results, without the possible complications.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd keep up with the exercising.

For the counter surfing I'd crate him if you couldn't watch him, otherwise use the babygates and closed doors to keep him in the room with you so you can 'uh uh' and 'No, off' when he get ready to rear up (not when the food is in his mouth!) to see what's on the counter. Stop the '2 front feet from leaving the ground' as the EARLY info he needs to not get whats on the counter.

Get back into the dog classes!!!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

i say a lack of training and socializing has taken you off track.
"don't complain, train".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wink-_-wink View Post
Ok, Hero has been out of training for almost 2 months. This is because of Hurricane Sandy and I think it is really negatively effecting how he acts. He would possibly be classified as a rude puppy or maybe just a puppy being a puppy. There are some new issues that had NEVER been a problem before and now out of nowhere I can't stop! So my issues are as follows:

Counter surfing (I know this is a phase, I am getting the mouse traps and cans this week)

Always play time! This one is a new thing, if he is not in his crate, he wants to play no matter what you are doing! He will bring his toy to you and literally throw it at you if you refuse to attempt to pull it out of his mouth. This is fun when its play time but all the time is not playtime! I have tried ignoring him and he just kinda throws a tantrum where he keeps bringing the toy throwing it at you and barking.

He doesnt realize his size compared to the kids. He is a bit rough with my 5 year old to the point where my kid is getting scared from all the playing and mouthing.

Mouthing is at an all time high. We do the toy replacement, and tugs and treats and all that. He just seems to not gotten out of this yet.

King of the jungle! The second we step outside (he is leashed because our yard is not fenced) He barks maniacally to let EVERYONE know that the king is outside. He also barks at ANYONE who walks by! He gets the mohawk fur down his back but isnt showing teeth or anything like that. This is a huge problem for me because we no longer can take him to pet stores without him being a jerk to EVERYONE and it is stunting the socialization. I leash tug, step in front and tell him enough, get him in a sit and block his view but he is a determined little butt.

Lap dog! He does not realize that at 62 pounds he is NOT a friggen lap dog! lol I blame my wife for letting him on the couch when he was a pup!

oportunistic food thief! Godforbid one of the kids is walking around the house with a pop tart, donut, bagel or ANYTHING he thinks he should have! because with lightning speed he will snatch and gobble the whole darn thing before I can bellow out his name!

>>>>> I don't understand how he can have gotten so far off track!<<<<

I take him to the ball field and run him for an hour each day, plus all the playing we do in the house, plus 2 walks a day! He eats well and is house broken(even rings jingle bells to let us know its potty time or he just feels like being outside) I want to get his recall, obedience, and social skills way up so that he isnt such a jerk to EVERYONE! I know this will take a ton of training and hard work but I think I just needed to rant for it for a bit! I ma sure I am not the only one who has this problem and surely he will grow out of it with time and training. I knew what I was getting myself into with a GSD but I didn't think he would be so stubborn! Any info, suggestions, critics, or flames are welcome!! Input is info, info is knowledge and knowledge is power!! READING RAINBOWWWWWWWWWWW ok im done!
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.