First time male dog owner - G-rated - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

And I'm dreading when this happens to my pup! Sarge is 4 months old and we wont be neuturing him, so I'm scared of when it does happen haha
KSoloniewicz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Living with 4 intact males and 2 intact females I tend to see this more than I want to.

I find having the dog walk around a bit helps put things back in their place.

If that doesn't work I get a soft cloth, soak it with cold water and apply to the offending organ. That usually get things back quickly.

Boys!
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
LOL, I totally wouldn't know these things.
Well, I got married...
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

This happened to my pup when he was around 4 month - and it got stuck! I think hw was humping something tho, he had the whole bulb exposed and we had a rather expensive trip to the vet at 12am
He needed sedation and stitches to put the "old fella" back into place.

One thing to avoid it getting "stuck " out is to trim all the hair around the opening of the sheath. With Hex some of those long wispy bits got wrapped around his willy and stopped it from going back in.
The other thing my Vet said was is to cover the willy in water based lubricant if it's been out for a longer time because as it dries out it gets a bit sticky and won't slide in as easily.

LOL I like the idea if a cold water squirty bottle With Hex the whole thing stopped once I got him neutered
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

I know this is a serious issue but I am literally laughing hysterically! Maybe I am just still a kid at heart. Hero's seems like his is out more than in, one day I swear to you it seemed like he was servicing himself... I could not believe my eyes and it is hard to tell someone to stop doing something when your laughing...
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
LOL I like the idea if a cold water squirty bottle With Hex the whole thing stopped once I got him neutered
Well that way you don't have to touch it.
I used the lubricant on our 1st foster dog, Smitty, who had an unfortunate incident with his, where he slept like that for a bit and woke up and it was stuck out and had stuff stuck to it
I asked for my husband's help in holding the dog down so I could *ahem* work it back in and my husband looked at me like and left the room.
SO I managed to kind of hose it off with saline solution which was, of course, cold (room temperature anyway) and it really worked, which is why now, I squirt it 1st to see if that'll work, and then I don't have to fiddle around with it at all.

Smitty was a Cocker and I suppose his long hair had something to do with the thing getting stuck.

I was going to say...all our dogs are neutered and they still have this issue from time to time, most the time they do not wake up with it, thank God.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think they outgrow it to a certain extent and learn to control it. Kind of like those 12 year old boys you remember walking down the hallway with a book in front of them.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
Spirit is 8 months old, intact. He woke up from a nap yesterday with a raging you-know-what. First time. He could barely walk, and he was in a state ... like he was uncomfortable and not sure what to do about it. He would not let me touch him. He was hunched up and clearly unsure about his situation.

I told him, Buddy, there's not much I can do for you. If you still have this in 4 hours, we'll go see the doctor.

So what can I expect here. Is this going to increase as he matures? Or will he become accustomed to it and less bothered? The incident lasted only a few minutes. He was really, really quite large

Advice from the veterans please.

Jo, I'm sorry.. That email and this post has made me laugh all day! He'll outgrow it ... Its really not that uncommon, although a wee unpleasant. Try leashing him and taking him for a walk...get his mind off 'things' , so to speak.
I'll call you tomorrow.
L, Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 12-22-2012 at 10:40 PM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks everyone, for your stories and advice.

I will leave y'all with the visual of me chasing Spirit in circles with the spray bottle trying to get the one perfect shot.

My life
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

My pup is about 15/16 weeks old and the red rocket is being put on display a lot of the time. Heaps of what I thought were good photos are in need of PhotoShop because of it.

I have not had any issues with it getting stuck out though... and rather than discomfort, he actually looks quite pleased with himself.

Not much I can do about it... the world is obviously quite an exciting place for a puppy.

Hopefully he grows out of it soon.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.