6 month old GSD bites only me - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pretty dog!! Redirect as much as possible and exercise!! A tired pup is a behaved pup!!
bigd3077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the response! Do you remember what age she was when she started paying the other family members attention?
Asiakp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

He's gorgeous! Yes, he should grow into his ears. It's his age. I totally agree the mouthing is just a GSD thing. Redirection is the best way... I also teach 'gentle' to allow for the mouthing, but in an easier way. It's great that he's so bonded with you, but I agree he needs to expand his 'inner circle'. You'll have to try different things and see what is a 'high value' treat to him. Then ONLY the people in your family give that treat to him. Not you. He will have to learn to accept commands from everyone else, too. My boy blows off my wife, too. However, she's kind of hung back and not tried to bond with him...so I guess she doesn't mind that he ignores her. She can walk him, etc.

Your story of how you got him reminds me of how I got my African Grey. I was planning to get a baby from a great breeder in the spring, also. Then I came across a very neglected and abused Grey and ended up getting her instead. She turned out to be one of the best Greys I've ever seen! Sometimes things work out the way they should, not the way we expected. Thank you for taking him in! He sounds like a great pup, and is lucky to have come into your home and family. This is a great resource for GSD owners. If you can, find a puppy class to take him to. Have your fiance go with him to help build that bond. I think you're going to be very happy with this boy!!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Beautiful pup!! Kind eyes. Keep working him gently on a level he can handle and show him the world to build his confidence. Don't despair about this crazy shark stage. With all the previous suggestions he'll do well and grow out of it. You can't believe it when that finally happens. I have trained and owned many dogs but that shark stage surprised me. Wishing you many happy years together.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for true compliments and advice! Jag, I day dreamed for a long time about my perfect working line German shepherd I was going to own. He was going to be a beautiful dark sable and I was going to do sooo many things with him lol! I really wanted one from Wildhaus, the owner Chris was amazing when I talked to her via email! She was FULL of ecxellent advice and pointers, and most importantly, she was very honest about whether one of her dogs would be a good match for me or not, and she even reccommded some show line breeders to me, which proves to me she has others best interests at heart, and doesn't care about making money off her dogs! That's why when given the choice between Apache and one of her pups, I chose Apache. Chris is so thorough about her pups, I know without question all of them go to good homes. It would have been easier to go through her and get a pup, but honestly having Apache and watching him get to experience life has been an amazing reward within itself. I still will probably want a dog from Wildhaus in the future, but right now I have to put a LOT of effort in trying to make up to Apache what he's been missing in life thus far. And I live in an apartment, and while Apache seems ok with it, he also spent his whole life in a crate until I got him so this is like a mansion to him lol. When I buy a house soon I will definately be looking around again! Thanks again for your advice everyone! Apache is getting a lot better, he still opens his mouth like he is going to bite me, but then he closes it, so he's off to a good start!
Asiakp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

What a great story. I know, not exactly what you were planning, but he sounds like he's working out. Maybe he will eventually decide to play with the kids. It doesn't sound like you've had him very long. There's always time.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.