Jekyll & Hyde puppy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I would not recommend that at all because it'll only escalate the dog further.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

99% of crazy-biting-monster-puppy issues will resolve with....... EXERCISE!
The motto is a tired puppy is a good puppy!

I currently have a 5 month old at my house who is the nautiest puppy ever, so I can sympathize with you. She requires walks and obedience fun and games training everyday, outdoor off leash play for several hours (we are lucky to have a large fenced yard), and on the weekends she goes to the country to run, and run, and run (free play. not forced).
She still bites.

Redirect, lots of awesome toys (stuffed Kongs are great), and time outs work best when followed by long outdoor walk.

I would not recommend alpha rolls or pinning your puppy down.
-and- on the web

Last edited by gagsd; 12-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

I also wouldn't recommend that.

A tired puppy is a good puppy I wouldn't be running with her at this age, but I would take her on longer walks, if you can get to the beach, that sand can wear a pooch out, good low impact

As for the biting when you pick her up when she is in her "mood"...I would say this,,work on picking her up when she's in a GOOD mood..

Sounds like she has some pent up frustration/needs more exercise to tone down her biting and such..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mary GMTA I was posting when you were posting

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I would not recommend that at all because it'll only escalate the dog further.
This does seem to be the case. When she's being bad and I had tried holding her snout or laying her on her side and holding her til she calmed down she would just flip out and try to bite and play more. She wasn't understanding that it was supposed to be my signal to knock it off, she just wanted to roughhouse even more.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
This does seem to be the case. When she's being bad and I had tried holding her snout or laying her on her side and holding her til she calmed down she would just flip out and try to bite and play more. She wasn't understanding that it was supposed to be my signal to knock it off, she just wanted to roughhouse even more.
It's much better to manage our puppy to prevent it from being 'bad' in the first place then it is to communicate and clearly stop the unwanted behaviors once they start up.

There are tons of hints and tips in Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums & The Puppy Place - German Shepherd Dog Forums .

But I am also right in line with those recommending lots of exercise, socialization, and puppy classes save my sanity :-)

Remember, they are babies and need our guidance and help to learn to navigate in this world full of humans and our peculiar needs .
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Mary GMTA I was posting when you were posting
OK.... what is GMTA?

(and "naughtiest" not nautiest. Yikes.)
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Why not just rough house with her a little bit, instead of reacting with a "timeout"?

Show her who's boss!

Show her how slow/clumsy she is, lead her with one hand then gently push her off balance with the other hand so she falls on her side (no pinning).

Make sure your saying how slow she is when she can't catch your hand ("Ha!!! too slow!) and how clumsy she is when she falls over ("Get up clumsy!), keep your energy high.

Show her how little stamina she has, wear her little behind out, lead her from one hand to the other by hiding your hand whenever she gets close to one, and ambush her with the other hand over and over. She will get tired. Put gloves on so you don't have to "yelp" while she is in this mode, don't react if you get bit just keep playing, I doubt the "yelping" helps when she's in "hyde" mode anyway. Say things like "is that all you got?" Keep your energy up!

Try to remember being a kid and rough housing with your siblings/father/uncles/cousins/friends... Don't let the puppy aggravate you, she's just a baby, with sharp teeth. You stated that her tail is wagging the entire time, until you pick her up (like others have said use a leash), so keep that tail wagging and play with her, even if it's "rough".

Once she's plops from exhaustion, then break out some water, make sure it's not enough water though, so that she'll want more, and keep adding little bits at a time. This is when you switch to the "sweet voice"..."Awww are you thirsty?" "Here's some water ______"... then take her for a nap. She'll sleep like what she is...a baby =)

All JMO... and YMMV.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkandBeans View Post
Yep. You'll create a monster where there is none.

Do roughhouse with her, as I mentioned earlier, put a towel or stuffed animal in her mouth - if she wants your arms, cover them with the towel then slip the towel off your arms and play TUG with her.
Turn it into a fun game with her and you'll see changes.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

It got really bad tonight. Every play session ends in a timeout because she gets too rowdy even if we're playing something like fetch that's really low key.

I'm starting to think she has some kind of mental problem. When I picked her up the ears went down, the lip curled and she started biting my hands hard. I would've taken her on a leash like was mentioned before but she just had a bath an hour before and we didn't have her collar back on yet. Plus I don't want to have to put a leash on my dog just so it won't aggressively attack me when I want to pick her up.

She didn't get a walk today because it's a sleet storm outside so we played in the house...and she ended up needing a timeout because she was skirting around the toys again to bite our arms and feet.

I don't know what else to do. The timeouts don't seem to be sinking in, I don't think she understands why she's getting the timeout even though we promptly take her to her playpen when she continues to bite too hard. We have a puppy class tomorrow and I'll ask the trainers for advice but I'm really worried there is some kind of mental issue.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.