Frustration at its finest. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frustration at its finest.

I have gotten to the point where I feel like my shepherd is getting to me. She is 11 months and officially I feel like giving up. I have worked so hard thus far with puppy social, lots of training classes and most recently a private class which cost a lot of $. I buy her all the toys, bones, bully sticks and exercise her everyday. Did I mention I spend most of my day and any free time with her. My frustration starts with her jumping, mouthing and ends with her destroying my stuff . I really do try with her, but this is getting too much. I feel so guilty about feeling this way, and most people I know that don't use positive reinforcement with their dogs, don't exercise, let alone pay attention to their dogs, have the best behaved dogs. I really hope that this is a phase, did anyone else feel like this, I feel like a bad mommy. Thanks for letting me vent.
Frustration at its finest.-imageuploadedbypg-free1355816266.731515.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Frustration at its finest.-imageuploadedbypg-free1355816243.311415.jpg  
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

How is she destroying your stuff if you're with her during your free time? Is she not crated when you're not home? Are you watching her while she's roaming the house? What have you tried so far with stopping the jumping/biting? How consistent are you?

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well right now I left her in my room, gated while I took a shower and she got to my shoes with a quickness. Well we try tethering her with her leash and she had demolished it in 10 minutes. When i comes to jumping , we have tried the knee thing and the ignoring, walking out of the room. This is worse for family members. She does not mouth me, but constantly jumps and mouths them.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

You're having a containment issue. Do you have a crate for her? That would help keep her contained while you are busy and can't keep an eye on her. A chain leash could be used to tether her to something she can't chew up if you can't do a crate. Preferably with nothing around to destroy. It sounds like there are other people in the house; nobody can keep an eye on her while you're busy? Is this a family dog or your dog?

Everyone should be on board with resolving the jumping issue. the turn away method has worked for me... somewhat. He won't jump on me, but he'll jump right by me. But at least he's not on me! You could ask for a sit before any fun interaction. Keep her leashed to you and teach her that others will only approach when she is sitting calmly. Leash her to something sturdy and approach/reward her only for sitting calmly. There lots of ways to solve jumping, but if you are not consistent then she'll never learn.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

get a crate if you want a break from your dog. I have a 7 month old who is behaving just like yours, she has destroyed SO MUCH of our things until I got a crate, if your dog is crated you know she can't get to anyting. Make sure she is well exercised, I learned that if my dog doesn't get her walk she becomes very desruptive.Keep up with the training, you don't have to pay for basic training just search these forums there are a lot of helful posts. and please don't give up she is still a puppy....
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree with the others. Some dogs take longer than others. I was talking with my dog (17mo) old breeder about his antics and his breeder said "his mom was three before I could trust her 5 minutes in the house"

The crate is my refuge for sanity. For the jumping ditto on what Verivus said. Do you keep a dragline on her? Don't use the friends' dogs as a marker. GSDs can be such a handful. Corrections are ok but they need to be done properly and the dog needs to KNOW what it is doing wrong. Unfortunately, destroying things is not usually a punishable offense because all the dog knows is she is having great fun.

Is there any chance she is having separation anxiety if you are with her most the time? Has she learned any separation. [the crate?]

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Is your girl a mix? If so, do you know what with? Or is she a girl with the wonky ears. She's adorable.

I agree that a crate will be so helpful - acclimating to it slowly so it's a great place to go.

There can be a lot of reasons for jumping - fun, anxiety, attachment, etc. The others she jumps on or mouths - do they do NILIF with her, do the turn away with her?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. Sasha is a Mix, we think with Rottweiler, but we're not really sure.
Don't get me wrong I love her to death just her teenage times are not as enjoyable. Right now where I live I can not have a crate because it takes up too much space. But I will be moving in about 3 weeks where I will have her crate ready to go. I can't wait for the peacefulness
As opposed to jumping the trainer said to ignore and turn around, she pretty much mouths my boyfriend and when we reprimand her, she thinks she knows better.
I wish she walked around with the leash all the time, but she rips through out.
As the trainer said new home, new rules and clean slate.
What are your experiences when your dogs jumps and mouths when you ignore her she gets even worse.
The only thing that works is grabbing her by the neck and making her sit and down.
The trainer says not to touch her, but she is so feisty it's the only thing that stops her for the moment.

I won't give up on my pup, but I can't believe she may be like this for another two years. Ooooohhhhhh lord

Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

The jumping is pure excitement and she gets per stimulated very quickly which causes her to get antsy.
Ahhhhhh
Yes this is she. She has more shepherd personality that I have ever seen in a mix breed

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

For jumping, try calmly walking into the jump, so that she has to yield the ground she's standing on to you and shuffle out of the way. Just calmly claim that spot and stand. She'll jump again from a different angle. Repeat--claim that spot too.

I want to emphasize that this does not involve shoving her or do anything other than gently walking into the exact spot where she's standing to jump, so that she has to get out of your way. Most dogs get tired of yielding--it's not fun for them. It won't fix it overnight, but it does work--better than anything else I've tried.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.