Frustration at its finest. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

She's looks a lot like my wife's dog. How much exercise is she getting? I'd say more exercise and more mental stimulation. Definitely a crate!! I had a stubborn jumper once. My dad told me to step on a back foot. Not stomp on it, or put your full weight on it, but push down on it. It did work. A method of last resort... but I was also a lot younger then. Now, I leash pups when people are over to keep them from jumping on people. If they can't do it, it helps to deter it.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

She gets at least one long off leash run, a day where it involves throwing the ball and goes to the dog park at least 3x a week. She usually gets two outings and if not ill play tug and throw ball in back yard

The problem with the jumping is the mouthing even when leashed its hard to control. When she is fixated its hard to get her out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would keep her on a leash. At home, if she gets mouthy, put her in her crate so she can't get to you or your belongings. I feel you might be accidentally permitting her to behave in ways that aren't fun for humans. I am guilty of that too because I'm not very clear in communicating with my dog.

My dog Puppy is going through a phase too. I know the feeling, but I also know that before her current crazies, she was an absolute angel. So I know what light at the end of the tunnel feels like. It is absolutely worth this nightmare! Please hang on, have more patience, and GET A CRATE! I recently brought hers back out.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

It could definitely be a phase. One of the great things about GSDs and other breeds, is that they can be very independent-functioning dogs...that said, it can be a giant pain in the butt too!

Kneeing a dog in the chest when they are jumping isn't going to get you any positive results, because 1) you are giving them some sort of contact-based attention, and 2) you're teaching them that "hey, if I jump this way, I'll avoid the knee!" I think the best thing you can do is either to simply turn away and ignore, or do what another poster had suggested and reclaim the space. Again, it's important to do this with as little contact as possible, and also without really using any sort of command or words. Your pup will respect your presence and back off...at least after they get the hang of things.

Also, the crate has been a HUGE help for us with our pup. It gives us a break and restores our sanity! Plus I know that it will keep him safe as well. Building a positive relationship with the crate was very difficult at first, but we began with tossing treats in there, and keeping the door open, feeding him in his crate, giving him a kong filled with cream cheese or peanut butter when we had to leave for extended periods of time, and then getting him used to being in the crate even when we were home, by rewarding him every 5-10 seconds he was quiet, and then letting him out. After a while, we would lengthen his duration in his crate, and reward him every 30 seconds, again with very high value treats.

Hopefully all of the information people have provided will help!
footshooter5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Crate her so stuff doesn't get destroyed.

How well did you both do in dog classes? Are you able to continue? If she's doing well have you been able to make ply dates and go on walks with some of the other classmates to wear all the dogs out?

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

As soon as I move in to my apartment I will have the crate set up ASAP. We just finished her obedience II classes and we recently had the private trainer come to our house. We do really well in classes together.
Another question, these type of dogs need jobs to do, what kind of jobs do you give your dog on a daily basis?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.