Curious about the little sharkies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Curious about the little sharkies

Question to those of you who currently have or have gone through this shark stage with their pups.
I am always interested in behavior and development.
Since I know how important it is for pups to grow up in a litter for at least 9 weeks along with frequent contact with their mother and older dogs in order to develop bite inhibition, I am wondering how the sharks grew up.
If a breeder adopts them out at 9 weeks, it doesn't mean that they have had all that education from their mother. I know that some will keep the mother away from the pups to "spare" her.
Do you have a sharky pup or had one and you know exactly how he was raised can you let me know?
That would be very helpful and thank you.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know how my pup compares as he's my first, but he does get sharky at times, most specifically when he needs to poo or is overtired and when we play a bit too crazy. Occasionally he'll mouth when i'm on the couch and he wants me to cuddle on the floor, but he doesnt mouth too hard then. He was left with his litter mates and mom until 8 weeks, then rehomed to me. Unfortunately, most of the dogs I know are absolutely terrible and so I'm taking him to puppy class for dog socialization after the holidays. It's a bit later than I wanted, but it is what it is. I'd hate to introduce him to older dogs with horrible habits and obnoxious temperaments and have him have a bad experience.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

some pups, even after nine weeks with good mom, still have sharkey stage.

I've got little scars from different pups.

They do grow out of it.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I picked up my little shark when she was 9 weeks old, and she now is 9 months and still pretty sharkie *lol* she eats a 15" rawhides that may last her an evening and a nyla bone she finished off in 2 days. Does anyone know of any safe bones that will last more than a night.
Courtdar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Our pup was 12 weeks old when we brought her home and she was very sharkie!!!

She still likes to mouth me when she is overly excited to see me, like when I get home from work and when we get up in the morning. She no longer bites now that she is 10 months old, but she does still mouth me.

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed
Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
gmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtdar View Post
I picked up my little shark when she was 9 weeks old, and she now is 9 months and still pretty sharkie *lol* she eats a 15" rawhides that may last her an evening and a nyla bone she finished off in 2 days. Does anyone know of any safe bones that will last more than a night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcwife1 View Post
Our pup was 12 weeks old when we brought her home and she was very sharkie!!!

She still likes to mouth me when she is overly excited to see me, like when I get home from work and when we get up in the morning. She no longer bites now that she is 10 months old, but she does still mouth me.
So how were they raised at their breeder? See my first post.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

as far as I know Maya and her litter where kept with their mother and father for the whole duration of whelping. I got Maya at 7.5 weeks (I figured 3 days would not have made much difference). They where kept mostly in the garden, where the breeder had turned his shed into a make shift den for the mother. There was also a separate area the pups couldn't get to, so mother could get some alone time.

Maya has always been very mouthy, but from a very early age she realised quickly how hard to bite, and how hard was too much. She also learned that she should not bite skin, and so now we have a bunch of pulled clothes. When she gets in a very playful mood, she wants to play and its either get bitten, put her in her crate, or play with her, thankfully this usually happens once or twice per day in the evening so we get a toy out and she has a good play with it, very nicely redirects her attention to the toy and not our hands.

As I say she is very good, even when she is being "Naughty" I can put my hand near her mouth and she knows not to bite, she would sooner go for clothing or an old rag very occasionally I will let her have a bite on my arm, as long as she keeps it soft, if she gets too excited, I tell her no and stop playing, and then go back with a toy.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.