My 6 month old puppy will not listen - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 6 month old puppy will not listen

He ALWAYS gets into things and he will not listen. Even when we put him in his cage got not listening he keeps getting into stuff. As soon as he gets out if his cage after being put in there for being bad, he starts to jump on the tables to get a pack of cigarette's, paper towels, pens, newspapers, coke cans and his favorite socks and whatever else he can get into. Will he always be this way or he's just a male and doesn't want to listen, like a topical male does? Lol. What would you advise to do? We have never owned a male German Shepherd so we have no clue what to do. Our female German Shepherd that past away about 5 months ago wasn't crazy like he was when she was a puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
BethaniiMarcinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like a typical 6mo puppy.

Have faith - soon your pup will start to act better (if you keep up his training and have much patience!).

He is just old enough to start having independent thoughts and wants to do things his way!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

BTW, male or female has nothing to do with it! Both will act the same!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like he needs to learn a few basic commands, like OFF, LEAVE IT, etc. Have you had him to training classes yet?

I would not use the crate as a time out. Instead I would limit access to most rooms, using a baby gate, and leash him to you when you let him in the other parts of the house, for short intervals. Practice obedience commands, like DOWN, and SIT, while you are in there. And when he jumps, tell him EH! OFF, then give him a SIT or a DOWN command.

Let him play with toys while you are in there, and when he tries to chew on a table leg or couch, tell EH! MINE, then show him his bone or chew or toy and say YOURS, and give it to him. He will get it. GSDs are smart. But you have to supervise him every moment for a short while until he starts to figure things out. Then you can drop the leash for a little while longer. Leaving the leash drag will make it easier for you to catch him and correct if necessary. Once he has figured things out, he can spend his inside time off lead and longer times.

Some dogs are a lot easier than others. Sometimes we forget the pains of puppyhood too.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would introduce NILIF if you haven't already.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Sounds to me like he needs more exercise and play time. How much exercise is he getting now?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Find a good training class to go to. It's more about teaching you to teach your pup. Increase exercise! A tired puppy is a good puppy. Do NOT use a crate or kennel as a punishment. That is his 'safe zone'. If you can't have eyes on the pup or tether him to you for some reason, then put the pup in his crate with a favorite treat. Make sure you're providing mental stimulation as well as physical. Train in short, frequent sessions. Teach the words listed by Selzer. They will always come in handy!

It seems like you're 'stuck' ATM, so this would be a great time to join a class. I think you'll find the 'hands on' help more beneficial. This pup sounds mischievous and also bored. However, the things he's doing are typical of this breed. Most of what you're describing can be undone with consistent leadership on your part, and lots of praise, etc. when he does what he's told to do. Until he has a good understanding of those commands, punishment for not following them would be cruel.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethaniiMarcinko View Post
He ALWAYS gets into things and he will not listen. Even when we put him in his cage got not listening he keeps getting into stuff. As soon as he gets out if his cage after being put in there for being bad, he starts to jump on the tables to get a pack of cigarette's, paper towels, pens, newspapers, coke cans and his favorite socks and whatever else he can get into. Will he always be this way or he's just a male and doesn't want to listen, like a topical male does? Lol. What would you advise to do? We have never owned a male German Shepherd so we have no clue what to do. Our female German Shepherd that past away about 5 months ago wasn't crazy like he was when she was a puppy.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sounds normal to me. I would control his space better by keeping him on a lead in the home. Also, if there is anything you do not want your pup to have make sure you put it up and away. I would also get a few gates and allow him in certain areas of the home. If you can not watch your pup and keep a close eye on him then he should be placed in his crate or a secure area with lots of toys he can play/chew on. Make sure to keep the crate a happy place for him. If you use the crate as a punishment he will not want to go in it. I kept Kaylee on a short lead while in the house so I could have her out and keep an eye on her. She was not allowed to roam the entire house. When she was given freedom we allowed her in the living room and kitchen. The areas were blocked off with gates keeping her contained and all items were put up and away from her. Good luck!
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Sounds to me like he needs more exercise and play time. How much exercise is he getting now?
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. This puppy needs some serious time on the field running round chasing balls, he has far to much energy which is causing the interpreted misbehaviour (he is just looking for a mental and physical stimulus, as an outlet for his energy).

Also, as mentioned, dont use his crate as a punishment, this needs to be a place associated with good things (this will help in the future).
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

how long have you had this dog? any classes, do you train
and socialize daily? any dog will act the way yours does without
training. find a trainer and ask a lot of questions on the forum.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.