My 6 month old puppy will not listen - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

If you're really busy at home and can't constantly keep an eye on him, put him on a leash and keep that leash attached to you.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
how long have you had this dog? any classes, do you train
and socialize daily? any dog will act the way yours does without
training. find a trainer and ask a lot of questions on the forum.
I believe we have had him for about 2 months or so now since sept 23 or 24th. No we haven't taken him to any classes yet we are trying to save money. He doesn't socialize daily, he does take walks with my bestfriend's dog from time to time when she wants to walk her dog.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
BethaniiMarcinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Sounds to me like he needs more exercise and play time. How much exercise is he getting now?
I try to take him out for walks everyday but he seems to when he knows that we are going towards home he starts pulling and running back home. We play frisbee outside everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
BethaniiMarcinko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

You will save a ton of money having either an obedient dog or one you supervise well because if they start eating things like cigarettes, socks, etc, you will be paying big time at the vet office!

I always bring my one dog who is like the Tasmanian Devil on home visits where people think they want a puppy and think they have puppy proofed their houses. He shows them where everything is that needs to be fixed, put up, put away because I just let him rip! I would strongly suggest greater puppy proofing, Bethanii. Set the dog up to succeed by putting things up and away where he can't get them. Managing ourselves sometimes results in really great behavior in our dogs!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Sounds like he needs to learn a few basic commands, like OFF, LEAVE IT, etc. Have you had him to training classes yet?

I would not use the crate as a time out. Instead I would limit access to most rooms, using a baby gate, and leash him to you when you let him in the other parts of the house, for short intervals. Practice obedience commands, like DOWN, and SIT, while you are in there. And when he jumps, tell him EH! OFF, then give him a SIT or a DOWN command.

Let him play with toys while you are in there, and when he tries to chew on a table leg or couch, tell EH! MINE, then show him his bone or chew or toy and say YOURS, and give it to him. He will get it. GSDs are smart. But you have to supervise him every moment for a short while until he starts to figure things out. Then you can drop the leash for a little while longer. Leaving the leash drag will make it easier for you to catch him and correct if necessary. Once he has figured things out, he can spend his inside time off lead and longer times.

Some dogs are a lot easier than others. Sometimes we forget the pains of puppyhood too.
AGREE!!
Couldn't have said it better. We still have Maggie on the leash hooked on the front of the couch right by us. We do let her off if we're going to be in the other room and when we know we will be able to keep an eye on her.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

People usually often greatly underestimate the exercise needs of a six month old. Typically they hear a ton of dire warnings about too much exercise harming the hips or developing joints. The main thing to avoid is a lot of repeated jumping and forced running on pavement. Hiking off leash, playing ball/fetch on grass, soft surface, swimming, etc - are all fine. Puppy will also need to have his mind worked and stimulated by outings to new places and training sessions. Misbehaviour is always a symptom of something else, usually lack of exercise and mental stimulation. GSDs are bred to be thinking dogs, working dogs, so if you, as the owner, do not give them 'stuff' to do, they'll figure out some stuff for themselves, and that includes climbing on furniture, and taking things to chew on them.

He needs to run and play and exercise until his tongue hangs to the ground and he is too tired to do anything more, and he needs daily novel stimulation in the form of training and exposure to new places and things.

Check out these threads for some ideas on how to achieve this:
Why bother to 'socialize' and I want photos/videos of puppies/dogs.....

Proper Exercise for puppies

Really fun everyday stuff that anyone can do and is GREAT for challenging our pups and giving their bodies and MINDS a workout:
Agility in the 'real' world

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

my girl is the same, I couldnt exercise enough to stop it. If shes tired she goes zombie and stumbles around mouthing anything she can, she wont sleep out of her cage. That said shes pretty good but thats because she spends half the time in the cage. Shes 6 months and right now is a phase ( I hope) where shes extra bad.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

It sounds maybe like your dog may not be getting enough mental stimulation and exercise. Try clicker training. Maybe he is not being stimulated enough. I find that a lot of my success with my 6 mo GSD is a lot of positive reinforcement. No spanking or hollering. A stern no is all she needs. Always positive and fun.

Reward often for pleasurable actions. Have him come and sit as much as you can. Teaching tricks is good for stimulating your dog and making him think and its good bonding.

Also daily walking. Very important. It helps release excess energy. I walk mine 2 miles a day. it calms her down inside.

Crate training is important also. Never use it as punishment. I usually stick a king with treats it when i have to leave her in there. Treat every time he goes in crate.

Play with him. I dunno Im no expert but this is what has worked for me. I never yell or spank. always praise and reward and stay positive and most importantly make it fun. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
AdamandEve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have a stubborn 5 months old male too. I wear that puppy out, play, exercise, lots of toys, enrolled in training, doggie play date, etc. When he was younger we had to deal with bite and potty training. But we managed to pass that phase. So I tell myself this too shall pass
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.