Pawing, Jumping, & Biting ... OH MY! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pawing, Jumping, & Biting ... OH MY!

Firstly, I have been reading posts for hours trying to find a solution to my problems.. So many great threads! But I decided to create my own thread by signing up for the forum to get some more personalized answers

Eva is my boyfriend's german shepherd puppy and I inherantly spend most days with her as well (such a joy! -no sarcasm). She is 5 months old now at roughly 40 lbs. Extremely smart pup.

1. Pawing. Eva started pawing other dogs to initiate play when she was about 3 months old - they don't respond well. They usually growl or walk away ... poor Eva just wants a playmate!

However, she started pawing at my boyfriend and I around 4 months old. We thought it was cute and she would grow out of it, but she has reached the final straw. Yesterday she pawed at me and caught me straight in the eye. My eye was red and irriated and wouldn't stop watering.

I know she is wanting attention by doing this, but it hurts and isn't gaining her playmates any time soon! How do we curb this??

2. She finally has the leg muscules to get some serious air. I was standing in the living room a few days ago and she jumped on me (nearly to my shoulder) and on her way down, she caught my jacket with her tooth and ripped a hole in the sleeve....

She is not doing this in aggression what-so-ever, it's all in play. We just want her to stop jumping because it can be overwhelming for guests and children.

3. And most importantly, she starting "mouthing". She is nearing the end of her teething phase, and we have been understanding that she has a need to chew during this period. We spent nearly $80 on dog toys to chew on and while we don't allow her to mindlessly chew on our fingers, we allowed her to naw lightly because of her teething.

Now that she has several big girl teeth and at 40 lbs, her jaw is way too strong and it hurts when she bites! She has broken both of our skins on numerous occassions, she thinks she is "playing". To correct this, we grab her muzzle and say "no biting!!". After we let go, she licks us to show she is sorry but 10 minutes later we get bit again!

How to we curb this? I've read, pepper on your hands, bitter apple spray, muzzle grabbing, and turning your back.. What works best? THANKS!
BoomerSooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum..

Take the time to click on-->.Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and -->.Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help so you'll see you are in good company. :-)

PLUS you are experiencing why it's a good thing to sign up for those dog classes around 6 months (or earlier . )

The learning we get in classes along with the mental and physical stimulation for the pup is a huge help for their good behavior.

With the addition of REAL exercise so they crawl in the house and collapse on their bed

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The whole thread screams: "adolescence". She is testing to see how far she can go. It is not playing, that's why other dogs don't put up with it and neither should you.
Look up the threads that explain NILIF treatment. Keep her on leash inside for a few days.
If she is inappropriate, immediately put her behind a closed door for about ten seconds, if she is quiet get her back without acknowledging her. As soon as she "comes for you" have her sit and give her a chew toy.
Don't give her time to chew your hands. If you put pepper sauce on them, she will still be practicing that behavior.
urther: tons of exercise, classes, things to do and see. If you put everything into gear it will get better. WD did, 10 months old but relapsing once in a while. Never let my guard down with that boy.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Welcome to the forum..

Take the time to click on-->.Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and -->.Puppy biting... Hints and tips to help so you'll see you are in good company. :-)

PLUS you are experiencing why it's a good thing to sign up for those dog classes around 6 months (or earlier . )

The learning we get in classes along with the mental and physical stimulation for the pup is a huge help for their good behavior.

With the addition of REAL exercise so they crawl in the house and collapse on their bed

Wolfy Dog & MaggieRoseLee, I cannot give you a large enough thank you for such a thorough and speedy replies!

I showed your responses to my boyfriend and we feel very positively about the direction our training needs to go in!

I have seen "NILIF" sited so many times on this site but wasn't aware of its meaning.. I googled it and WOW! We have been training her on NILIF already and didn't even know it! Our techniques:

1.She must sit at the door before she is let out, she is only released from sitting when we snap our fingers and say "okay!"

2. She must sit before we fill her water/food bowl, once again, we say "okay!"

3. When she brings us a toy and sets it in our lap, we ignore her until we decide its play time.

Also, I tried more aggressively saying the word "no biting!" and "paws down!" yesterday and my gosh... a huge difference! She hardly bit and only pawed a couple of times... Wolfy Dog, you were right, she was only testing the boundaries.

We also decided to sign her up for classes this January with a local trainer.

Thank you for both of your help, I am so glad you replied
BoomerSooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I feel your pain (literally) as far as the biting goes.

Our 3 month old is getting really bad with the mouthing and she seems to apply more and more pressure each day. We tried the "Ouch!" and walking away methods. HA! All she did was see the "Ouch!" as a "Play more!" and walking away just resulted in our socks and/or pants getting attacked and torn. When we try putting a toy in her path she immediately skirts right around it and goes for arms and hands.

The only thing that tends to work is redirecting her attention. When she starts really playing rough and biting hard we can usually get her attention with a treat and start working on tricks and commands. The only problem with this is that if she's not hungry then she doesn't care and continues to bite, or when I don't want to overfeed her treats she will start biting again. So redirecting her attention is only a short reprieve from the problem. We start puppy classes this weekend so hopefully we'll get more ideas of what to try and keep her mind occupied.

I do take her running once a night which usually tuckers her out. I do a lot of HIIT and take her with to wear her out. This typically does the trick but then I have a sleepy puppy. Sure, I'm not getting bitten anymore but I'm not able to calmly play with her or enjoy her company either.

So you're not alone, it seems like these little landsharks are pretty common and we just need to have patience and hopefully they outgrow it soon.
PorkandBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.