puppy loves to play, maybe too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
jae
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 701
Default puppy loves to play, maybe too much?

Is it just a puppy thing or do all your dogs just want to play with other dogs? When we go to the off leash areas, many bets are off if he's unleashed when he sees another dog, regardless or not whether the other dog wants to play with him, he will try to. It is very hard to call him off this and I have not found a way around it besides leashing him, which kind of defeats the purpose of going. but he will sprint 200-300 yards down the beach to see other dogs.

He also does this when I let him off in the back yard, if the front gate is open and he so much as thinks that he hears the tinkling of tags, he sprints through and has to say hello to the other dogs. Steak does not work, his ball does not work, his frisbee does not work. He is 9.5months now. He had gone through formal classes twice now, but he was always fairly or very distracted by other dogs. He has been corrected very harshly for doing this by other dogs plenty of times, but continues to go up to those same dogs even at that moment or at a different time.

Not very aloof if you ask me. or maybe I'm not fun

Last edited by jae; 12-08-2012 at 06:24 PM.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Default

My 2 cents;

I would correct this, much like you would correct any other behaviour, in a very controlled environment where you are able to dictate everything that happens.

1) Be in a room with just you and your dog, reward your dog for giving you attention.
2) have a friend with a very well behaved dog, visit you and come into the room.
3) Make sure you dog is leashed, and if he is too excited, ask your friend to leave and enter when your dog calms down.
4) slowly introduce your dog to your friends dog, by rewarding him with good behaviour (treats, "Good Boy!", Strokes, more time with the friends dog).
5) If your dog offers bad behaviour, remove the other dog from the room until your dog is calm.
6) as your dog gets the idea, try it in a more informal setting (outside, leashed), reward, and praise for good behaviour, and correct ("NO!") and remove the other dog for bad behaviour.
__________________
Maya, GSD Bitch, Born 30/08/2012..... complete lapdog.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
jae
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
My 2 cents;

I would correct this, much like you would correct any other behaviour, in a very controlled environment where you are able to dictate everything that happens.

1) Be in a room with just you and your dog, reward your dog for giving you attention.
2) have a friend with a very well behaved dog, visit you and come into the room.
3) Make sure you dog is leashed, and if he is too excited, ask your friend to leave and enter when your dog calms down.
4) slowly introduce your dog to your friends dog, by rewarding him with good behaviour (treats, "Good Boy!", Strokes, more time with the friends dog).
5) If your dog offers bad behaviour, remove the other dog from the room until your dog is calm.
6) as your dog gets the idea, try it in a more informal setting (outside, leashed), reward, and praise for good behaviour, and correct ("NO!") and remove the other dog for bad behaviour.
I had practiced this many times in class. The best way to get him to offer attention if I stand in front of him, blocking his path. If we are working on heeling, sits, stays, focus, he does not mind the other dogs. Leashed walks, must call for him to heel or he will stop and sniff or turn around and go for them. I reward him with off leash time if he does something, sit, heel, focus, recall. Don't get me wrong it is better than an aggressive dog, which is what I am trying to avoid by keeping him under control in those times when other dogs just do not like him, but when he gets into puppy play mode, he is all out and very hard to get back in to working mode, even if it is just for a recall.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,475
Default

I think that for his own safety the behavior should be corrected, but it is nice to hear about a GSD that just wants to play and not kill My dog loves other dogs, but she doesn't go out of her way to play with them unless she knows them(like the neighbors dog). We can go to the pet store she pretty much ignores them, unless they approach her or bark at her..then she looks at them like "Whatcha barking at?" This doesn't happen to often, because when people see her coming they just grab their dog go the other way...pretty fast You have to find a way to train him with these distractions so he doesn't get hurt. Have you tried doing some training at the dog park, but outside the fence? This way he can see the dogs, but can't get to them and its easier to correct the behavior...a long line would work well for this.
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
jae
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I think that for his own safety the behavior should be corrected, but it is nice to hear about a GSD that just wants to play and not kill My dog loves other dogs, but she doesn't go out of her way to play with them unless she knows them(like the neighbors dog). We can go to the pet store she pretty much ignores them, unless they approach her or bark at her..then she looks at them like "Whatcha barking at?" This doesn't happen to often, because when people see her coming they just grab their dog go the other way...pretty fast You have to find a way to train him with these distractions so he doesn't get hurt. Have you tried doing some training at the dog park, but outside the fence? This way he can see the dogs, but can't get to them and its easier to correct the behavior...a long line would work well for this.
I have yet to define the trigger really, when we are indoors or on a hike (trails and off leash) he will be fairly good and ignore other dogs, as long as they are passing by. Sometimes he gets caught up and chooses to play. If I keep walking and say nothing, he will lag behind as long as possible and then sprint back to me. Then in dog parks, leashed walks, forget it, he wants to meet everyone. I do correct him on lead if he breaks a heel command. I have tried training outside the dog park. He listens (sit, stay, heel), but stays focused on the other dogs inside - the gsd stare - and will whine the whole time like "let me in there!!"... then also when he actually meets the other dogs, some of the time he's done and comes back. Just wants to get to know who's around? Though if the other dog shows any signs of playfulness, off he goes. He ignores squirrels, people, children without any command from me. I'm just really confused by it, but the more I think, it is the training once more, what else could it be?
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jenkintown,Pa.
Posts: 15,199
Default

it's not the dog. it's your training. train your dog
to follow/obey commands.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
I'm just really confused by it, but the more I think, it is the training once more, what else could it be?
Have you taught leave it or watch me commands?
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
jae
Master Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IA
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Have you taught leave it or watch me commands?
Yes, fairly strong leave it (but not cat poop) - usually followed by recall or heel so it is almost automatic in most situations. Focus yes, very good again. Can recall from the middle of him chasing a deer, have done over 300 yards away in the middle of the woods, but when he gets into play mode, again, tough to stop him, I need to actually walk up and leash him, if I can catch them. And it's strange that when another dog - usually the smaller ones - is nipping at him and trying to get him to stop, he goes right back into it, ignores my commands and ignores their corrections. If a larger dog does it, back up he goes - once a hundred pound really dominant male gsd pretty much attacked him and pinned him for trying to say hello, got him off, and back into his face he went. That is what really concerns me. Dominance thing perhaps?
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
Yes, fairly strong leave it (but not cat poop) - usually followed by recall or heel so it is almost automatic in most situations. Focus yes, very good again. Can recall from the middle of him chasing a deer, have done over 300 yards away in the middle of the woods, but when he gets into play mode, again, tough to stop him, I need to actually walk up and leash him, if I can catch them. And it's strange that when another dog - usually the smaller ones - is nipping at him and trying to get him to stop, he goes right back into it, ignores my commands and ignores their corrections. If a larger dog does it, back up he goes - once a hundred pound really dominant male gsd pretty much attacked him and pinned him for trying to say hello, got him off, and back into his face he went. That is what really concerns me. Dominance thing perhaps?
Why don't you try a long line inside the dog park? This way you can correct him before he takes off. It can be a controlled play time. You can then use the long line, leave it, and watch me all together.
__________________
Misty- Samoyed Mix
Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- German Shepherd CGC, TC
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Why don't you try a long line inside the dog park? This way you can correct him before he takes off. It can be a controlled play time. You can then use the long line, leave it, and watch me all together.
I think this is a good idea, he still gets the freedom, but u also have the control to correct him when needed.
__________________
Maya, GSD Bitch, Born 30/08/2012..... complete lapdog.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com