Existential Sprinkling Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Existential Sprinkling Problem

Existential, as in relating to existence. If we cannot correct this, he is gone (to another home).

Our GSD just turned 8 months. He is a male, and fairly well trained. He has never had an accident in the house or in his bed. Never, not a single one. When he has to relieve himself, he lets us know and we send him out. Since we got him at 12 weeks, we have not had a problem with that.

The problem is the sprinkling. In a variety of circumstances, he will just spontaneously spray a stream of urine onto the floor. He does not squat, or anything like that. It appears to be entirely unintentional.

It mostly happens when he is exited or conflicted. For example, he wants to run out the door, and I am commanding him to get in his pen. When he pauses for that moment before obeying, he will spray a couple seconds of pee on the floor. I will not be near him, and he is not acting crazy or sullen, just standing eagerly looking out the door.

Also happens when I hold his collar because a cat or dog is walking by, but not always. He will be standing stock still, whining just a little, and a little pee will spray out. Also happens when we first get home after being away for a few hours. I think that is just excitement.

He has not been beaten, and this is not fear. Ears and tail do not go down, and he does not crouch. It is just, I don't know, conflicted emotions.

It is exceedingly annoying, as he is about 70 lbs now and 2 seconds of pee is a real mess. It is also keeping him from developing a close relationship with the family as he cannot he loose in the house and around us for fear of this happening. We bought one of these,
male wrap male wrap
, but keeping that on him all the time is not practical, and you might get sprayed while you put it on him.

Is this something that just goes away? If so, how long does it take? If it is not gone, and soon, he will have to go. Any help is appreciated.
ishootfriendlies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Have him checked for a UTI.

Read through these links at length.
Can We Help You Keep Your Pet? Submissive Urination
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If the problem has just developed recently you may want to have your vet check him over for any bladder problems. If he has been doing this since he was a puppy, then it does sound like excitement urination. Also if he is not neutered, he could be marking his territory, like when he does it when another dog goes by. I suggest you try searching the forum for threads on the topic. Hopefully you will get some good advice from other posters.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

if it's not medical, it could very well be submissive peeing, or excited peeing. He doesn't even realize he's doing it.

Will it go away ? no one can answer that if it's not a medical thing.

It's really sad to hear that because the dog has a problem if not resolved, he's gone
But maybe he'd be much better off in another home.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"Existential, as in relating to existence. If we cannot correct this, he is gone (to another home) "
" and I am commanding him to get in his pen. When he pauses for that moment before obeying, he will spray a couple seconds of pee on the floor"

OUCH that is harsh. Young dog , with a handler sensitive , somewhat submissive streak , and a handler unaware, frustrated, who is using the thread to vent , not to find an answer, his fate already with a "you're out of here" for something that is ""It appears to be entirely unintentional." because it is .
"I will not be near him, and he is not acting crazy or sullen, just standing eagerly looking out the door" .. you don't have to be . Dogs are so sensitive to subtleties , read us well -- your overbearing goes to him , he freezes, door/out not an option, freeze , sprinkle from the pressure and tension - submit, go to crate.

Conflict is fear .
"It is also keeping him from developing a close relationship with the family as he cannot he loose in the house and around us for fear of this happening"

I would be inclined to say to you .... do rehome the dog .

'
Let him be with someone who appreciates the good in him, who is more in tune with him - a totaly different dog may emerge. Looks like this dog and you are not a good match.

by the way I would be curious how you train / trained/ intend to train this dog. Just the wording -- you stand there and command the dog -- why not assist the dog and bring him to the crate, take the decision away from the dog, no conflict, no need to avoid, no need for you to exert so much super authority .

got to add that even your name I shoot friendlies ishootfrendlies wow.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you have had the dog for five months, and you can consider getting rid of him for such a minor issue, then you probably are not well matched with this dog. No bond. It is probably better for you to give the dog back to the breeder.

The very fact that this is such a big deal to you will probably make the problem take longer to resolve.

Excited or submissive urination is not really the dog's fault. They do outgrow it if you do not over-react and punish them for it. Even becoming frustrated will make this take longer to clear up.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I agree rehoming is likely the best solution. He won't get better at this point, since you've already decided he's gone if it doesn't stop and also the fact you "command" him around.

He may improve in a new environment but only if they ignore the peeing so be honest with them and direct them to the links I provided.

This doesn't sound like a good match between dog and owner.
BTW I was looking at your old posts, did you get this dog from a breeder? Do they require you return him?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just a head's up, coming onto a forum like this and saying that "the dog is gone" if he doesn't knock off something you yourself say is unintentional is not going to get you any sort of answer you want to hear (doubly so with that user name). Judging by your post, it sounds like your dog is insecure and fearful and not sure what his place is, and it sounds like he's fearful of you. Rehome the dog; you don't have any sort of bond with him and that is the really only thing that will get him past submissive/excited urination.

A dog doesn't need to be beaten to be fearful of someone. He does not see you as his leader or caregiver. The fact that you are jumping to rehoming without even consulting a vet to rule out a medical reason says enough about your relationship with the dog.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It's kind of like a divorce anyway, merely saying the word and getting comfortable with it in your head is a pretty good sign it will happen.

If I hear from people (we have a rescue) that they want to get rid of the dog, it's usually a done deal with everything except the actual act.
If it's going to happen anyway - do it sooner than later so hopefully a rescue can work with his issues
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I was unaware the word command was such a hot button. I am telling him to do something. Not sure what I should call it. "Sit, stay, heel, leave it," etc I have always heard referred to as commands. If it would make it more comfortable, I will refer to those things as suggestions. You can read that offending line as " For example, he wants to run out the door, and I am suggesting that he get in his pen"

I like this dog a lot and would like to keep him. We get along very well, and he is happy and well adjusted. We clean up the pee and do not make a big deal. He is not afraid. He will be standing, making eye contact, with erect ears and a wagging tail, and shoot a little stream of pee. It almost always occurs when he is being "suggested" to do something he does not want to do.

An example just occurred. My 3 year old niece was here and was walking to the car. I had Chaias (daughter picked the name) outside with me as they left. He wanted to run over and play, but she is a little afraid of him so I "suggested" him to lay down beside me, which he promptly did, with a little squirt of pee.

It is great, really. He clearly wants to go over, but with just a quiet "suggestion", he restrains himself and lays down. He actually was shivering a little as he watched her walk by, a couple feet away, he was so exited. The pee did not come then, though, but only when he had to restrain himself. By the way, we did have him checked for a UTI, and he was fine.

Anyway, I thought I might get a little help here. I appreciate the one or two people who offered good advice. If anyone else has a dog that has been like this or has some ideas on how to minimize it, I would love to hear them.
ishootfriendlies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.